Demetrious Johnson wants to fight in Rizin, ONE, then Bellator.

Conor was a big lightweight killing himself to make 145. DJ is a average-sized 125er who was being totally bullied strength-wise at 135. Very different.

Sounds like you're oblivious like DJ is.

Sounds like you're scared to lose like DJ is.

Conor moved up to 170, ignoring everything working against him, and then he lost. But then the fucker kept going and still ignored everything working against him. This attitude was rewarded.

DJ needs to do the same and just man up and fight. He will be rewarded win or lose.

Mike perry is a bigger name than the guys who beat him. Because he man's up and fights. He gets rewarded win or lose.

Sounds like you're oblivious like DJ is.

Sounds like you're scared to lose like DJ is.

Conor moved up to 170, ignoring everything working against him, and then he lost. But then the fucker kept going and still ignored everything working against him. This attitude was rewarded.

DJ needs to do the same and just man up and fight. He will be rewarded win or lose.

Mike perry is a bigger name than the guys who beat him. Because he man's up and fights. He gets rewarded win or lose.
Huh.. at 170 he fought other lightweight.

DJ shouldn't give up size to his opponents just to earn the respect of some idiots out there. He's in the right weight class for him.

Huh.. at 170 he fought other lightweight.

DJ shouldn't give up size to his opponents just to earn the respect of some idiots out there. He's in the right weight class for him.

It's not to earn respect. It's about earning the money he thinks he deserves that he doesn't deserve just yet.

It's not to earn respect. It's about earning the money he thinks he deserves that he doesn't deserve just yet.
He does deserve, although he's fine staying without it, hence he is already talking about fighting Pettis instead of pushing for a super fight.

Yeah but he wouldn't fight TJ. Not much of a champ imo.

Why? TJ doesn’t even fight in his weight class? Do people think Hughes was a shitty champion because he didn’t go up to 185? Was Anderson a weak champ cuz he didn’t go fight for the 205 lb belt?

Going up in weight to try and get a title doesn’t mean you are a better champ than the next guy. TJ hasn’t even had a string of 3 title defenses in his career. He’s got guys at 135 that deserve a TS, he shouldn’t be trying to get a “money” fight because he simply does not deserve one. He hasn’t done shit to warrant it.

Why? TJ doesn’t even fight in his weight class? Do people think Hughes was a shitty champion because he didn’t go up to 185? Was Anderson a weak champ cuz he didn’t go fight for the 205 lb belt?

Going up in weight to try and get a title doesn’t mean you are a better champ than the next guy. TJ hasn’t even had a string of 3 title defenses in his career. He’s got guys at 135 that deserve a TS, he shouldn’t be trying to get a “money” fight because he simply does not deserve one. He hasn’t done shit to warrant it.

It's not about titles and deserving anything. DJ is whining about money and the way to get money in this game is to make some fucking noise. And that involves doing the fights the fans want to see, and possibly fighting in other weight classes. If DJ wants more money and more respect then he has to do the things that make money and garner respect. Also if he claims to be the best, which he does, then he would fight TJ, because that's the mindset of someone who thinks their the best. But DJ won't fight TJ, so he should just shut the fuck up about money and being the best, because none of his actions are showing that he wants more money or that he thinks he's the best. (Getting belts from smaller orgs lol?)

Conor is where he is today because he steps up and gives the fans what they want. Just imagine if Conor turned down mendes and turned down nate. Good lord.

He does deserve, although he's fine staying without it, hence he is already talking about fighting Pettis instead of pushing for a super fight.

"He does deserve"?

Please explain how much money you think he deserves and why. Hint: The most important aspect is not your ranking or your belt, the most important aspect is how many people care about watching you fight. That's what DJ and his fans simply don't understand.

I'd like to see DJ do it for the novelty. Outside of Horiguchi, I can't imagine who would test him (specifically at Flyweight).

Both parties should probably be more understanding. UFC doesn't respect DJ because he doesn't draw. DJ would probably get that respect if he moved up, but he wants to get paid for it. Fair enough. I think UFC should just pay him and have the fight.

FWIW Matt was going to move up had Franklin not beaten Tanner (that was the point of TUF 2 remember). Franklin lost the belt and then Matt lost his to GSP just after. Who knows, maybe he would have challenged Silva?

It's not about titles and deserving anything. DJ is whining about money and the way to get money in this game is to make some fucking noise. And that involves doing the fights the fans want to see, and possibly fighting in other weight classes. If DJ wants more money and more respect then he has to do the things that make money and garner respect. Also if he claims to be the best, which he does, then he would fight TJ, because that's the mindset of someone who thinks their the best. But DJ won't fight TJ, so he should just shut the fuck up about money and being the best, because none of his actions are showing that he wants more money or that he thinks he's the best. (Getting belts from smaller orgs lol?)

Conor is where he is today because he steps up and gives the fans what they want. Just imagine if Conor turned down mendes and turned down nate. Good lord.

Conor sells because he's charismatic naturally. Not because he gives people the fights he wants. Siver? Poirer? These are the fights people wanted?

DJ says he is the best FLW in the world. Which is a fact. Not the best fighter period. He's said he's the best champion ever. Again, his record suggests that to be true.

Its the UFCs job to market these guys. To make people want to watch them. Also, DJ doesn't care about garnering respect. He wants money. If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay him. Its that simple.

Conor sells because he's charismatic naturally. Not because he gives people the fights he wants. Siver? Poirer? These are the fights people wanted?

DJ says he is the best FLW in the world. Which is a fact. Not the best fighter period. He's said he's the best champion ever. Again, his record suggests that to be true.

Its the UFCs job to market these guys. To make people want to watch them. Also, DJ doesn't care about garnering respect. He wants money. If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay him. Its that simple.

I meant conor fights and behaves the way people want, which is aggressively, which translates to exciting fights and promotion. And he's aggressive with taking fights, as in he'll fight anyone as late notice and at different weights. When that's your style it doesn't matter who you fight.

Dj's record doesn't suggest that he's the best champion because the quality of competition is so much lower than avg. He did have a chance to prove himself against tj though...

It's not just the UFCs job to promote themselves. That's ridiculous. Fighter self promotion has proven to be effective and lucrative so it's their responsibility to do own interviews and social media to garner more interest if they want more money.

"He wants money. If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay him. Its that simple."

Don't be naive, it's not that simple. Imagine saying that to dana in a negotiation meeting. Take note of danas response and you can see that you and DJ obviously don't understand why fighters get paid more money.

DJ: "If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay me. Its that simple. "

Dana: "We pay you based on how big of a draw you are. Are you a big draw? Let's look at your numbers. "

Fact is DJ has the lowest drawing numbers.

He still asked for 2 million so obviosuly he doesn't understand that being a draw matters. Obviosuly you don't understand either. Somone should tell DJ how it works. Maybe then he won't be super boring in interviews and turn down money fights.

I meant conor fights and behaves the way people want, which is aggressively, which translates to exciting fights and promotion. And he's aggressive with taking fights, as in he'll fight anyone as late notice and at different weights. When that's your style it doesn't matter who you fight.

Dj's record doesn't suggest that he's the best champion because the quality of competition is so much lower than avg. He did have a chance to prove himself against tj though...

It's not just the UFCs job to promote themselves. That's ridiculous. Fighter self promotion has proven to be effective and lucrative so it's their responsibility to do own interviews and social media to garner more interest if they want more money.

"He wants money. If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay him. Its that simple."

Don't be naive, it's not that simple. Imagine saying that to dana in a negotiation meeting. Take note of danas response and you can see that you and DJ obviously don't understand why fighters get paid more money.

DJ: "If the UFC wants to put together a "superfight" then pay me. Its that simple. "

Dana: "We pay you based on how big of a draw you are. Are you a big draw? Let's look at your numbers. "

Fact is DJ has the lowest drawing numbers.

He still asked for 2 million so obviosuly he doesn't understand that being a draw matters. Obviosuly you don't understand either. Somone should tell DJ how it works. Maybe then he won't be super boring in interviews and turn down money fights.

Its his job to fight. If fights don't sell its the UFCs fault. Lol at being aggressive being what people want. Maybe tools like yourself, but all I care about are good fights. There's guys who haven't had their shot at 125 n DJ is fine fighting them. He doesn't care about your opinion of if he's the best ever. He wants money. Why have a superfight for the same money?

DJ fans get he isn't draw. We aren't clueless, we are disgusted. Could you imagine if the NFL started putting teams in the Superbowl based on popularity as opposed to winning? I am all for freakshow fights but the belt needs to be treated with reverence, this isn't pro wrestling.

I don't blame the UFC, this says more about the fans of combat sports than anything.

the belts are meaningless, though.

and this thread's much funnier now.

the belts are meaningless, though.

and this thread's much funnier now.
yeah, it does make it seem like he looked past cejudo a bit(like every russian HW champ who talks about going to the UFC and then gets demolished). I suppose the thing is that Cejudo arguably beat Benavidez in a lot of people's eyes and many people felt he deserved the decision(I narrowly scored it for MM). But really all that fight showed is that it takes an olympic gold medalist to hold mighty mouse down for a close decision... that's a pretty high bar

I'd like to see DJ attempt this belt collection tour now since he doesn't hold the UFC belt so he is no longer under the champion's clause. How many fights does he have left on his contract?

I'd like to see DJ attempt this belt collection tour now since he doesn't hold the UFC belt so he is no longer under the champion's clause. How many fights does he have left on his contract?
4 more fights left.

That's over a healthy years worth. More than I thought.
Turns 32 this week so he's getting up there in age. Not so much for heavyweights, but for lower weight class fighters for sure.

“If I was to, like, go out and collect all the belts, now that’s something. If I was to go to ONE Championship, win the flyweight division there. Go to Rizin, win the flyweight division there. And then go to Bellator … win the belt there (125-35). For me to have every unique looking belt around the world, that’s what gets me excited if you really want to know."

DJ really not interested in bantamweight. Maybe sending a message to UFC by discussing other promotions, as I remember Dana threatened to close the division if he didn't fight TJ.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/ufc-227-demetrious-johnson-idea-to-cement-goat-status

That would be cool if he did that.

Back