#DeleteFacebook

Did Facebook’s ‘favors’ for the Obama campaign constitute a violation of federal law?
FOX News said:
Controversy continues to swirl around how the consulting firm Cambridge Analytica obtained personal data from over 50 million Facebook users without their knowledge and used it to target ads to individuals in an effort to help Donald Trump be elected president in 2016.

But a more serious case of apparent misconduct involves Facebook data going to a different presidential campaign – this time in 2012. In this case, which is getting far less attention, Facebook reportedly voluntarily provided data on millions of its users to the re-election campaign of President Obama.

If true, such action by Facebook may constitute a major violation of federal campaign finance law as an illegal corporate campaign contribution. The matter should be investigated by the Federal Election Commission – an agency I am quite familiar with, because I served as one of its commissioners from 2006 to 2007. The commission enforces campaign finance laws for congressional and presidential elections.

A federal law bans corporations from making “direct or indirect” contributions to federal candidates. That ban extends beyond cash contributions to “any services, or anything of value.” In other words, corporations cannot provide federal candidates with free services of any kind. Under the Federal Election Commission’s regulations, “anything of value” includes any “in-kind contribution.”

Whether or not the Obama campaign and Facebook violated this ban is an open question. It should be investigated by the Federal Election Commission and potentially the U.S. Department of Justice.

For example, if a corporation decided to offer a presidential candidate free office space, that would violate federal law. Corporations can certainly offer their services, including office space, to federal campaigns. But the campaigns are required to pay the fair market value for such services or rental properties.

According to Carol Davidsen, the former media director for Obama for America, Facebook gave the 2012 Obama campaign direct access to the personal data of Facebook users in violation of its internal rules, making a special exception for the campaign. The Daily Mail, a British newspaper, reported that Davidsen said on Twitter March 18 that Facebook employees came to the campaign office and “were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side.”

The type of data that the Obama campaign was mining from Facebook is a more sophisticated version of the type of data that has long been provided by professional direct mail marketers – something pioneered by Richard Viguerie. Viguerie, for example, has detailed personal data on “12 million conservative donors and activists” to whom his company sends letters and emails on behalf of his clients. He provides information to campaigns looking for votes and money, and to nonprofit and advocacy organizations raising funds.

Political campaigns must pay for these services. Under a Federal Election Commission regulation, giving a mailing list or something similar to a campaign is considered an “in-kind contribution.”

So if Facebook gave the Obama campaign free access to this type of data when it normally does not do so for other entities – or usually charges for such access – then Facebook would appear to have violated the federal ban on in-kind contributions by a corporation. And the Obama campaign may have violated the law by accepting such a corporate contribution.

What about the story currently in the news about Cambridge Analytica using Facebook data for the Trump campaign? The important legal distinction may be in the way the data were obtained. Fox News reported that the Trump campaign hired Cambridge Analytica to do political research on voters and reportedly to “help the campaign target specific voters with ads and stories.”

The real controversy now involving the Trump campaign deals with exactly how Cambridge Analytica obtained the data it used for the campaign. A CNBC report says that Cambridge Analytica bought the data from Aleksandr Kogan and his company, Global Science Research, which obtained the data through an app and a psychological test taken by Facebook users.

The amounts paid by the Trump campaign to Cambridge Analytica for its services – and the use of the Facebook data – are listed in its spending reports filed with the Federal Election Commission. This proves that the Trump campaign paid for services in the same way that campaigns routinely hire and pay direct mail marketers. So the Trump campaign did not get an illegal corporate contribution from Cambridge Analytica or Facebook when it received free access to very valuable data.

Whether or not Global Science Research and Cambridge Analytica violated any Facebook rules regarding this data is not the responsibility of the Trump campaign. From the standpoint of federal campaign finance law, the Trump campaign met its obligation to pay for and report this spending and did not violate the ban on corporate contributions.

However, whether or not the Obama campaign and Facebook violated this ban is an open question. It should be investigated by the Federal Election Commission and potentially the U.S. Department of Justice. The commission handles most routine violations of the law, which are civil matters. The Justice Department is responsible for investigating knowingand intentional violations of the law, which are criminal matters.

Although the statute of limitations may have already run out on this conduct by the Obama campaign, one thing seems certain: Carol Davidsen’s admissions should provide a sufficient basis for opening a federal investigation of what may have been a serious violation of the law by the Obama campaign.
Everybody should hate Facebook. Everybody.

I stopped using it quite awhile ago, now the only social media I use is Instagram (and Sherdog if that counts, but IMO it's not the same). Part of it is that I dislike that I'm only being surfaced information that it thinks I'll like, based on things I've already said I liked. Seems that the usefulness of liking something quickly drops to 0 in that kind of environment.

And the other part (the bigger part) is that I just hate the people my friends become online. Just about everyone becomes a big "everyone look at me!" baby on social media. Plus I'm tired of people using stupid memes like this to try to set themselves apart:

980x.jpg

Your family isn't crazy. It isn't goofy or gorgeous or weird, either. At least not anymore than anyone else. The only thing this image gets right for someone who posts it is that they are stupid and lame.

lol.

And she otherwise seemed like a great gal so that is what frustrated me.

I was out with a few guys and few gal friends and brought up this 'snooping' thing but did not label it a gal thing. I was surprised that two of the 3 women tried to justify it to some regard and the third was neutral and none of the guys thought it was OK.

I told the ladies that one of the questions she asked me was about a night I had told her I was just out with some friends. I was in fact out on another date. But this girl and I had only been out on two dates prior, never had any intimacy and I think neither of us was sure we would have a third date but it was still possible. So when she asked me (and me not knowing she was snooping) I told a white lie and just said 'out with friends' and not a date.

the other ladies seemed to think that 'see, there she caught you lying'. Which I admitted but also said we all have every right to tell a white lie in that scenario. I don't owe someone I have went on one or two dates with but that nothing has progressed with the information that I just went out on another date and she would not owe me such info. Simply saying 'out with friends' is fine in a situation like that. And if she snoops and sees in the other girls profile her saying something like 'nice date night at XYZ restaurant' with a picture of the food and she guesses it was me since it was the same restaurant then just bring it up. Say 'look I snooped and want to know if you were actually out on a date that night' instead of trying to ask leading questions to see if I will admit and when I don't (and I should not have to) you then come out that you have trust issues with me for not disclosing. Well sorry but I have trust issues with you for snooping and trying to hide how you know things.

it frustrates me when people are manufacturing things to be offended by. And this idea that people owe you full life disclosure honesty before you hardly even know one another is nutty.

As I get older, I have started to realize that women can be just as creepy and predatory as men, if not more.

I always feel like I am being violated when people ask or say prequalifying questions and statements, like they have superior information on me. It's hard to trust them, since they are subtly revealing that they got the drop on you.

That's the thing though, if a person is exposing themselves to the world, then they would have to get used to people using "grooming" and "cross examination" techniques like the girl you are describing.

I am sure you are careful with your privacy settings, but I have had people do that to me offline, and so I know it must be a frequent occurrence if a person regularly uses social media.

As I get older, I have started to realize that women can be just as creepy and predatory as men, if not more.

I always feel like I am being violated when people ask or say prequalifying questions and statements, like they have superior information on me. It's hard to trust them, since they are subtly revealing that they got the drop on you.

That's the thing though, if a person is exposing themselves to the world, then they would have to get used to people using "grooming" and "cross examination" techniques like the girl you are describing.

I am sure you are careful with your privacy settings, but I have had people do that to me offline, and so I know it must be a frequent occurrence if a person regularly uses social media.
I don't feel i have anything to hide generally. I like to be a pretty open book with gals I am in a relationship with.

but again I am not apologizing nor do I feel there is anything wrong with a harmless white li such as I was out with friends instead of telling someone you went on a couple dates with but had no idea if it would go anywhere, that you went out on another date. Simply saying i was out with friends instead is fine.

This idea that if I can lead you into a lie and trap you into by using information you will never know I had is creepy as f*ck. Instead just say 'hey i saw a facebook post while creeping a bit. Where you out on a date the night I asked you about?' And i will tell you the truth and feel no shame about it. "ya i took a date but it went no where and i did not think it appropriate to tell you that at the time based on our situation.'

But if I feel, that you are trying to trap me then I will really dig in even when I know you know more and force you to expose what you know or I will just keep denying it. that is because I do not think snooping should be rewarded and if the gal gets her 'confession' without having to reveal she was dishonest and snooping she will put it all on you and that she just 'had a feeling or something'.

Nothing good comes from snooping as you will never snoop and find something that proves someone is not cheating. There is no such evidence. but what you will find is often lots of incomplete information that raises more questions that you cannot seek answers to as you don't want to admit you snooped.

I think it has it's uses. I have a huge family I'm talking 100+ people. It's hard for us to all get together but we use FB to stay in touch and just get a general outlook of how people are doing in life when they upload pics of their family and all that.
have you tried Olive Garden?

have you tried Olive Garden?

We get together as much as we can but there is just no way to get that many people to agree to come to one place. Without a doubt someone wont be able to fly into Houston where most of us live or will have something else planned. I see most of them through the family parties we have throughout the year for various occasions.

I think it has it's uses. I have a huge family I'm talking 100+ people. It's hard for us to all get together but we use FB to stay in touch and just get a general outlook of how people are doing in life when they upload pics of their family and all that.

Family Wall.

But people won't use it because they secretly want strangers to look at them, so they feel like celebrities.

Family Wall.

But people won't use it because they secretly want strangers to look at them, so they feel like celebrities.

We actually did set one up but not everyone used it. The older generation just didn't get it so we just gave up on that.

We actually did set one up but not everyone used it. The older generation just didn't get it so we just gave up on that.

I gave up too. It was still a good idea though, because now nobody can bitch about me not sending pictures... And they know it. That was really my expectation from the beginning.

I set it up
I post grandkid pics
They enjoy
I post more
They become apathetic and don't log in ever
We all quit
I have an excuse they can't argue with
They do facebook
I don't

Worked like a charm.

Facebook is garbage.
They admit to trying to make their users feel depressed and depenendent, they selectively censor, sell people's info to unsavory clients, work with tyrannts to track down and kill dissidents, admitted it's bad for their users health, and the owners think we're dumb fuckers.

So much time is wasted on FB in this country

Facebook turns insecure people into monsters.

Facebook is ok. It is just a communication tool and is good at what it does. I don't think anyone dislikes Facebook, they just hate how the people they know choose to communicate on it. I don't see how that is Facebook's fault necessarily though.

To me it is like if someone was an asshole to you over the phone and you were like, "God Damn it Alexander Graham Bell! That was your fault! #DeletePhones".

That said, I deleted Facebook about two years ago. I am just happier not knowing what everyone thinks about everything.

Back