Defending yourself with a knife

Shiet if I were in fear of my life that much I'd just carry a gun even though I don't have a concealed carry permit. What's the saying? It's better to be judged by 12 than be 6 feet under? Something like that.

It's better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

It all really depends. I have a friend that have been stabbed in the thigh and still ran 4 miles home. Two other friends were stabbed in the stomach and back, respectively.

The one who got it in the leg was hit HARD with a 6 inch knife. The blade was removed, he bled like mad but adrenaline was pumping and he made it out of there.

As for the others, one got hit in the lower right side under the ribs and upper back, the other in the sternum and on the left flank. The blades used on them were 3 - 4 inches long. These happened when they were grappling with each other. They had no effect on how the fight progressed, and neither knew they were stabbed until after.

I had another friend who just passed a few months ago, stabbed outside a night club. He didn't make it. The attacker used a 5-6 inch knife and stabbed him multiple times in the chest, sternum, and collar area.

Point is, striking at the legs is a hard target and not always a sure bet to end a fight.

If you're going to stab someone in the chest, use a big knife. 3-4 inch blades won't do the job. 5 is alright , 6 is adequate, 7 is plenty. You want to damage internal organs. That's the target. Slashing around will cause blood to flow but won't immediately stop a fight.

my .02

Never been stabbed and never want to be but having read many knife assault anecdotes this one rings truest out of any in this thread. People always seem to remark that when they got stabbed or cut they didn't even realise this fact until after when they noticed the blood. They normally noticed just an impact.

Recently Guy Mezger suffered a nasty cut to his hand and he remarked that he didn't see the knife or even realise he'd been cut that bad until after. I remember years ago when Lee Murray was recounting the time he nearly died after being stabbed multiple times and he again said he didn't realise. He thought he'd been punched!

So I would never rely on instant effect from a knife stab or slash.

My advice is get used to the idea of being killed with your own knife if your planning on using it when you're outnumbered.
I think this would be the reality of an untrained knife wielding person like the TS versus 3 street thugs. He might stab one or even two but they would over whelm him, take the knife off him, and stab him most likely to death.

I know of an individual who was putting on a demo in longsword at a prominent Canadian museum. He and another person were sparring with blunts. One of the blunts managed to slip under his mail sleeve and impale him through the armpit. He did not even know he had been hurt until he slipped on the blood dripping from his mail shirt.

Fighting with anything other than projectile weapons by nature is more than close enough for knife tactics. You can close 21 yards in under 2 seconds.
I think you'll find that it's 21 feet and not yards. Unless you are Usain Bolt, maybe?

Which justifies aimed fire to the torso when facing a knife weilding attacker, does it not?

If he starts moving towards you at speed and you can't back off, I'd say yes. If you are in an open environment and can retreat, I'd say the duty was on you to do so. It's not the job of the person on the street to decide that this will be one criminal who wont be re-offending. Unless there are other immediate targets for his attention nearby. See, it's a tricky one. There are so many unspecified variables that could be involved, which is why I don't think a "one solution fits all" package of just shooting to kill is acceptable.

Last edited:
You're better off with an extendable baton, imho. Knife vs. knife, you're both going to get cut up. If you have a baton, you have range and can even disarm him then fuck him up. Batons are also good vs multiple attackers, again because of range and quickness. It is also easier to calibrate the level of damage you wish to impart.

Also, you would be in better shape legally most places, especially if you use a baton and your assailants are unarmed.

I agree with the advice on haveing a baton or stick, If possible try to escalate to a bigger weapon(stick, gun etc.)

If defending against a knife with a baton, the easiest and most effective thing to to is to try to "defang the snake", crushing their knife hand will take them out of the fight.

I agree with the advice on haveing a baton or stick, If possible try to escalate to a bigger weapon(stick, gun etc.)

If defending against a knife with a baton, the easiest and most effective thing to to is to try to "defang the snake", crushing their knife hand will take them out of the fight.

When I received training from ASP they recommended aim for arms (not forearms) and thighs.

Knives overall aren't very good defense weapons.
A simple way people stop knives is to simply wrap cloth around ones hand and use it to block/grab the knife.

That and most knife victims are the ones who drew the knife in the first place.

Invest in self-defense classes or something.

Knives overall aren't very good defense weapons.
A simple way people stop knives is to simply wrap cloth around ones hand and use it to block/grab the knife.

That and most knife victims are the ones who drew the knife in the first place.

Invest in self-defense classes or something.

Sounds great in theory, but do you think a knife weilding attacker will give you time to take off your jacket and wrap it around your forearm for protection? Some people might not even have enough time to draw and Mozambique in that time frame, nevermind fucking around with worn clothing.

Sounds great in theory, but do you think a knife weilding attacker will give you time to take off your jacket and wrap it around your forearm for protection? Some people might not even have enough time to draw and Mozambique in that time frame, nevermind fucking around with worn clothing.

Sorry, it was just an on the spot example of the simplicity of countering a knife. But the point still stands, money should be invested in an alternative defensive weapon/method.

Always be first.

I walk around with a taser and a few knives for good measure. I've only had to pull out a knife once but once it was out the situation ended without anymore issues.

My thought has always been to not only be first but to go for an area that will end the confrontation quickly. The throat for instance. That's just my way of thinking though...

I am or was fortunate enough to serve my king training his guards, sometimes i still do.
knife attack and defence is something i teach often,

they should not see the knife,often a man being stabbed does not even know till the person is walking away, feels like there being punched.

go for the nearest target, no time to think or be choosy, go hard go fast dont hesitate.

once the weapons come out dont lose it, they will use it, you pull a weapon you piss them off, expect future payback.

not everyone dies as is written, but the damage is nasty.

avoid using them at all costs.

Shoot him as many times as you can pull the trigger, center mass. No need for any hand to hand bullshit. After all every good American carries a loaded pistol with them at all times everywhere they go don't they? That's what I've learnt from Sherdog.

If you are outnumbered don't pull a knife. It's the dumbest thing you can do. Just get your licenses buy a gun. Pop the closest guy then the others will run.
This, or move.

Fighting with anything other than projectile weapons by nature is more than close enough for knife tactics. You can close 21 yards in under 2 seconds.

lol...no. Even the highest level athletes in the world from a starting block position can't cover 21 yards in under 2 seconds.

If your up against an unarmed group pulling a knife would be a bad idea, a knife isn't the best choice for multi attackers even if you hit first the likely hood of you getting off a good enough shot to disable an attacker is slim. More likely after they have taken your money they'll cut you with your own knife! Your best bet is if they want your money/ watch is to comply you may not be harmed. But if you want to be able defend yourself the best be would be to take a self defense course.

I am or was fortunate enough to serve my king training his guards, sometimes i still do.
knife attack and defence is something i teach often,

they should not see the knife,often a man being stabbed does not even know till the person is walking away, feels like there being punched.

go for the nearest target, no time to think or be choosy, go hard go fast dont hesitate.

once the weapons come out dont lose it, they will use it, you pull a weapon you piss them off, expect future payback.

not everyone dies as is written, but the damage is nasty.

avoid using them at all costs.
Didn't know people still had kings.

NBC.jpg

Back