• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Defending yourself with a knife

Imac27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I want to preface this with a couple of clarifications. I have a degree in criminal justice and I understand the ramifications of using a knife and in which situations I am justified in doing so. I am also a calm person who avoids areas I shouldn't be in and my first move is always to defuse a situation.

I live in a rough city with a large dangerous element. A friend of mine was jumped by a group of 3 gang members walking to school in the morning and they attacked him with objects around him (cinder block and metal bucket). Ive been aggressively approached by groups of people my self. This is what got me thinking.

I carry a knife as a tool but if I were attacked by surprise or surrounded by 2+ people and I was able to draw my knife what should my method of attack be? Upward or downward thrusts, slashes, aiming for the face/arms/arteries? Should I concentrate on one target at a time or quickly attack several targets?

I feel like I should go with a strong typical grip and stabbing, and target the most available target first.

Any input is appreciated.

(also don't say run, I'm slow. And I don't have the money for a pistol and ccw right now)

I appreciate the comments, but alot of you seem to be focusing on knife on knife fights. If I'm up against a knife with any chance of running, Im running. What I was asking about is a a group attack without weapons, as they seem to be fairly common and harder to avoid than a one on one knife fight.

Last edited:
Be first.

Even knife fighting "experts" will tell you, "The winner of a knife fight dies in the hospital while the loser already died on site". It doesn't take much to get fucked up in a scrap where you and and your assailant are both armed with knives.

Assuming your knife is sharp enough that you can easily cut a dude up, Hold it tight and keep it between you and the unsavory fellas. When they get close, they get cut.

Never been in a knife fight but that just makes the most sense to me.

A knife fight between 2 people who are on the same skill level is over very very quickly, more than likely a few seconds. So I'm gonna reiterate what the guy above me said and advise you to always be first.

If you have to fight with a knife, don't try aiming for little areas of the anatomy..Just find the nearest body part, stab first, stab to wound, keep stabbing.

You're better off with an extendable baton, imho. Knife vs. knife, you're both going to get cut up. If you have a baton, you have range and can even disarm him then fuck him up. Batons are also good vs multiple attackers, again because of range and quickness. It is also easier to calibrate the level of damage you wish to impart.

Also, you would be in better shape legally most places, especially if you use a baton and your assailants are unarmed.

Don't let your opponent know you have a knife.

You need to be able to deploy your knife quickly, and preferably with one hand. Check out Emerson knives with the wave feature.

The following is from here:The rules of knife fighting

Try to avoid knife fights. In a knife fight, you have greater chance to die, than in an unarmed combat. But better be in jail, than in the cemetery. So have a knife.

Be very, very quick. If you're slower than your oppontent, don't even try. You will lose the fight.

Protect your throat with your empty hand. ALWAYS protect your throat. If you get hit there, you'll probably die.

If you have the knife in your right hand, your right hand and foot is closer to your opponent. Hide behind the knife.

Attack his hand that holds the knife. If he's an unexperienced fighter, he won't pull his hand back immediately after an attack. So that hand is an easy target. And by the way, if you cut that hand, he'll probably drop his knife.

Always hold your knife with full power. If he knocks out your knife from your hand, you've lost the match.

Use a sharp, quality knife.

Move. If you're always moving, you're not an easy target.

Try to confuse your opponent.

If you cut your opponent, run backwards a few meters - if possible - and ask "Is this enough?". So you give him a chance to give up, and survive. Remember: Your goal is to protect yourself, not to kill your opponent.

Attack his hand. If he stabs or slashes at you, slash his hand or forearm. Your knife hand should be your lead.

Also, never get into a knife fight. Even if you only get cut once you can easily die.

Use a sword instead. Much better for killing and not being killed.

I've been teaching knife combat for some time now,

Understand that in the eyes of the law, the knife is lethal force.
You pull it out, that means you had intent to kill.

The only way to justify that as self-defense is if your LIFE has been threatened, and you have already done everything to get out or avoid this situation.

That being said,
a special forces guy who got me into knife making, said to me once, there are many ways to hurt a man(with the knife) without killing him.

I edc a knife, but you bet I have a method I follow so I don't have to rely on thinking major decisions at a split second when shit hits the fan.
I am also ready to defend myself in court.

Knife choosing for self defense

I've been teaching knife combat for some time now,

Understand that in the eyes of the law, the knife is lethal force.
You pull it out, that means you had intent to kill.

The only way to justify that as self-defense is if your LIFE has been threatened, and you have already done everything to get out or avoid this situation.

That being said,
a special forces guy who got me into knife making, said to me once, there are many ways to hurt a man(with the knife) without killing him.

I edc a knife, but you bet I have a method I follow so I don't have to rely on thinking major decisions at a split second when shit hits the fan.
I am also ready to defend myself in court.

Knife choosing for self defense

Is this a video you made?

I commented in the YouTube comment section, and as I said there, I think the best advice comes from "respecting the law" and being able to justify your actions and beliefs (that you life was genuinely in danger and any other approach would've gotten you killed or grievously injured) to a court.

I appreciate the comments, but alot of you seem to be focusing on knife on knife fights. If I'm up against a knife with any chance of running, Im running. What I was asking about is a a group attack without weapons, as they seem to be fairly common and harder to avoid than a one on one knife fight.

I figured I'd address this as well, your odds against a group of thugs isn't much better than a one-on-one knife fight; your number one priority is still to get the fuck out of Dodge. If you can't, a knife may not even help you if you're cornered because then, you're betting your life on the best-case-scenario that the rest might run if you can manage to scare them off. A knife isn't a gun, you simply don't have the advantage of reach and the ability to engage and neutralize several targets in quick succession. A knife in that scenario could very well just escalate and exacerbate the situation, remember whenever you pull out a weapon to defend yourself, you must be 100% prepared to use it. Hopefully, you can get the first strike in and injure one of them badly enough that everyone else thinks twice instead of rushing you and overpowering you with numbers, but that's a really, really big "if" and your chances aren't that great anyways no matter how well trained you are.

Develop your situational awareness first, learn to minimize your chances of finding yourself in that situation before you think about carrying a weapon.

Last edited:
Outnumbered I doubt a knife will help a great deal and may make things much, much worse. What makes you think these 3 experienced "gang members" don't have weapons of their own?

Avoid.

You're better off with an extendable baton, imho. Knife vs. knife, you're both going to get cut up. If you have a baton, you have range and can even disarm him then fuck him up. Batons are also good vs multiple attackers, again because of range and quickness. It is also easier to calibrate the level of damage you wish to impart.

Also, you would be in better shape legally most places, especially if you use a baton and your assailants are unarmed.

The funny thing is, here in Canada, telescoping batons are prohibited weapon for the average citizen, whereas a knife may not be.

13. The device commonly known as a

The funny thing is, here in Canada, telescoping batons are prohibited weapon for the average citizen, whereas a knife may not be.

Here's what makes things such a pain in the ass, it's a criminal offense to carry a weapon with the intent to use it to inflict harm, whether it be an assault or through self defense. Aside from being explicitly stated in the Canadian Criminal Code as being a prohibited device (see above) you'll also have a damned hard time convincing a cop on the beat that the collapsing baton on your person is your "telescoping pointing stick" but knives are generally considered to be tools unless there is reason to believe otherwise.

What's kind of ok about the Canadian Criminal Code is that it doesn't actually regulate blade length, though it prohibits certain actions and locks like automatics/switchblades, blades that are opened by centrifugal force or gravity (balisongs), and a bunch of other ninja shit like shirukiens, push daggers etc. So there are actually quite a few knives that are legal to sell and own. That being said, the only valid reason to carry one is if it's intended to perform a utilitarian task.

Luckily, you live in Canada. There are many places in the world where I would not feel it necessary to carry a weapon and your lovely country is one of them.

Knife training. Gets it.

Sayoc Tactical Group, Shivworks etc all have quality programs.

Surrounded by three gang bangers who are verbally threatening to do you violence? That, sir, is a deadly force scenario...happy carving.

On second thought, get two knives...then wield them like you are tweaked out on meth...who ever is dumb or insane enough to get close to your lawn mower action deserves to walk away with an avulsion or two

...(also don't say run, I'm slow. And I don't have the money for a pistol and ccw right now)

I'd say, a Knife isn't your Best Option. Most people who wield weapons become Entirely dependent on the weapon to save their life. Someone who is more trained, will use their free hand to parry and Never expose/block with the insides of their wrists/forearms (for cuts there can slice open tendons).
-
First, you're gonna need to condition for a Fight period. You mention that you're not very fast. Perhaps that is due to obesity, short legs, poor cardio or some other trait that I have not seen? In any case, work with that ability the best that you can and remember that any weapon that you bring with you, can be taken from you.
-
I'm not far into my study of martial arts but I do ask a lot of questions.

Back