Deadlift... Am i a weak little girl.

my muay thai gym has a mix of pros and cans. All the swole heavy deadlifters and squatters are cans [me included] and all the pros are DYELers who swing kettlebells.

interpret that how you wish.

I know a lot professional MMA fighters who's never touched a barbell in their lives.

And they're successful, so who the hell am I to argue with their training methodologies?

I know a lot professional MMA fighters who's never touched a barbell in their lives.

And they're successful, so who the hell am I to argue with their training methodologies?
are you proud to be a can too?

are you proud to be a can too?

I don't know, really. I was one of those rare individuals at my BJJ school who took powerlifting and BJJ training religiously. I wasn't spectacular at both of them, but I had a decent total of 1480 ish and racked up many gold, silver, and bronze medal finishes at Grappler's Quest, IBJJF, NAGA, etc.

One of my biggest issues was my cardio. It wasn't bad, per se, but as a competitor, it was one of my biggest flaws because I tended to gas out tremendously if the match went over the 3-4 minute mark.

What you can say is that strength is just one athletic quality that is beneficial to a fighter. If someone has talent, and trains hard, then even if their strength work is suboptimal or absent, they can still be a really good fighter. It doesn't mean that any particular component of their training necessarily right or wrong.

I don't think you should be doing singles this early. Or ever, if you're just using the weights to train for other things.

Grinding out 1rms but not be particularly important or useful. But that's not the same thing as doing singles.

That would make you a female of average ability in my gym if that helps at all

What you can say is that strength is just one athletic quality that is beneficial to a fighter. If someone has talent, and trains hard, then even if their strength work is suboptimal or absent, they can still be a really good fighter. It doesn't mean that any particular component of their training necessarily right or wrong.

Grinding out 1rms but not be particularly important or useful. But that's not the same thing as doing singles.

Agreed. I've had good success using variations of the singles program outlined here:

http://marylandpowerlifting.com/2014/10/14/train-the-deadlift/

Doing singles in the 70-80% range really helped me increase my speed off the ground. It can also just generally help with form because you aren't becoming fatigued by the end of your set.

Okay so just as a small update: i am doing deadlift once or twice a week. I do a few light sets, before doing 5 x 5 reps at 130 kg.

I have not lost any speed in my striking or footwork yet.

So i finaly got around to start lifting. Better late then never.

But i felt week. Did 5 sets. The last two sets where 110 kg. Only 4 reps. I am 72 kg.

Is that very bad? :(

I dont feel weak kicking and punching.. Or in the clinch.. But that deadlift session left me humble and a little sad.

Compared to the average guy - No. You're okay.
Compared to an athlete - Yes. But how long havey you been deadlifitng for? Just make sure you get in a session every week and this time next year you'll have added 30-40kg to the sets.

That would make you a female of average ability in my gym if that helps at all

The average female in a gym isn't deadlifting 110 kilos. Maybe 70-80 kilos if they are trying. All the girls I've seen deadlift 105+ without lifting before are large (68 kilos+) of frame.

Of course with training the average girl can do it easily enough but most females at the gym aren't deadlifting.

my muay thai gym has a mix of pros and cans. All the swole heavy deadlifters and squatters are cans [me included] and all the pros are DYELers who swing kettlebells.

interpret that how you wish.

Endurance is a lot more important than maximal strength for fighting? Because I think that's been clear for a long, long time. Not that strength isn't useful, it is, but if I had to choose an attribute to overload for combat sports it would be endurance without question. I think the baseline level of strength you need to be successful on a scale of Stephen Hawking -> Ed Coan is a lot lower than the baseline level of cardio you need (lets say on a scale of Homer Simpson -> Forrest Gump).

It's just about balancing and prioritizing. There are no absolutes. I can tell you without a doubt increasing maximal strength improved my Muay Thai significantly. Max-strength expresses power and contributes to strength-endurance. I'd say both of those are pretty damn important for a fighter. Doesn't mean you have to train like a power lifter. I prioritize my training time roughly like this:

1. Muay Thai itself
2. Conditioning (aerobic base building + related)
3. Max Strength

Using kettlebells is good for certain aspects of #2. It's subpar for #3. Barbells are the best tool for #3. Again, doesn't mean I'm training like a strongman or PL-er. But I can still train Max strength proportionately to my goals and priorities correctly and efficiently. Which means using the best tools for the job... basic barbell lifts.

Endurance is a lot more important than maximal strength for fighting? Because I think that's been clear for a long, long time. Not that strength isn't useful, it is, but if I had to choose an attribute to overload for combat sports it would be endurance without question. I think the baseline level of strength you need to be successful on a scale of Stephen Hawking -> Ed Coan is a lot lower than the baseline level of cardio you need (lets say on a scale of Homer Simpson -> Forrest Gump).
The Hawking-Coan scale should be the new standard for measuring strength level.

The average female in a gym isn't deadlifting 110 kilos. Maybe 70-80 kilos if they are trying. All the girls I've seen deadlift 105+ without lifting before are large (68 kilos+) of frame.

Of course with training the average girl can do it easily enough but most females at the gym aren't deadlifting.

Then get out of your bitch ass gym. I've got twenty chicks that can deadlift that. Crossfit lololololol

I don't know what those clowns say, but if you have never deadlifted in your life, and are using a high weight, you are risking injury.

I get it, some people need the pain to feel like they are superman, but injuring yourself to mentally flex in the "tough mofo" mirror is not an efficient way to live.

Not if you're using good form.

Back