Deadlift... Am i a weak little girl.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
So i finaly got around to start lifting. Better late then never.

But i felt week. Did 5 sets. The last two sets where 110 kg. Only 4 reps. I am 72 kg.

Is that very bad? :(

I dont feel weak kicking and punching.. Or in the clinch.. But that deadlift session left me humble and a little sad.

It's beginner.

No big deal, you're beginner level at something you've never done before.

That's sexist.

LCSVPT.gif

Just keep working at it. Everybody started somewhere. Keep adding weight to the bar when you can.

You're new to the lift, nothing to be embarrassed about. At least you are deadlifting as most people in gyms avoid it like the plague. Keep us updated.

Thanks. How often can, or should i deadlift?

I do squats and deadlift. No benchpress.

I do squats and deadlift. No benchpress.

What? Fighting is almost exactly the same as bench pressing. The only time it isn't like bench pressing, it's because it's like curling.

"Prepare to bench, or prepare to lose"- as all of the best fight trainers EVER say.

Nah.. I do push ups, pull ups, and dips. With bodyweight or weighted vest.

This is a good lesson in "feeling strong" generally means jackshit to people who aren't used to actually testing their strength. People will be in great shape from running or cardio and say they "feel strong". Most likely, they just feel good and fit which doesn't necessarily mean strong.

This is a good lesson in "feeling strong" generally means jackshit to people who aren't used to actually testing their strength. People will be in great shape from running or cardio and say they "feel strong". Most likely, they just feel good and fit which doesn't necessarily mean strong.

"Strength" means a lot of different things. Obviously stuff like "maximal contractile force generateable by muscle" get special priority because of science. But if someone is manhandling someone else in the clinch, wouldn't we say they're strong too?

Not being argumentative- srs question.

"Strength" means a lot of different things. Obviously stuff like "maximal contractile force generateable by muscle" get special priority because of science. But if someone is manhandling someone else in the clinch, wouldn't we say they're strong too?

Not being argumentative- srs question.

Someone can be extremely efficient at something simply due to technique. If you get someone who's been doing muay thai for years vs. a beginner in the clinch, of course the muay thai guy will manhandle him. Does it mean he's stronger? Absolutely not. I'm sure if the muay thai guy gets on the wrestling mat, he may say he doesn't feel very strong.

I'll give you a good example. Many years ago when I was dicking around more with conditioning and such, I absolutely felt great. I'm sure it's what people would classify as "feeling strong". My burpee times were crazy, I could run long distances, run fast 5 ks, hit the heavy bag without being winded, etc. When I got under the weights, the #'s didn't lie. Measurable strength will trump "feeling strong" or performing well in a sport.

First time lifter and you are doing 110kg (240 something pounds) on the last sets?

Welcome to snap city.

Man, get out of here with that weak-minded Hodge Twins bullshit.

I don't know what those clowns say, but if you have never deadlifted in your life, and are using a high weight, you are risking injury.

I get it, some people need the pain to feel like they are superman, but injuring yourself to mentally flex in the "tough mofo" mirror is not an efficient way to live.

I don't know what those clowns say, but if you have never deadlifted in your life, and are using a high weight, you are risking injury.

No.

If you have never deadlifted in your life, and are using bad form, you are risking injury.
If you have being deadlifting all your life, and are using bad form, you are risking injury too.

Back