David (Tank) Abbott at age 30

One of the craziest things I remember about Tank was in a UFC promo where they showed him benching 600lbs.
Once... His legendary endurance allowed him to do one single rep!

:meow:

Remember Tank saying he told UFC 'streetfighter' but they went with 'pitfighter'. Tank would have won UFC1 if he entered imo.

Tank to this day is my favorite fighter. I started watching the early UFC events around 94-95 (via VHS tapes) and I used to hate pure grapplers like Royce Gracie and Dan Severn, but when I first saw Tank he was exactly what I wanted and expected to see when watching a "No Holds Barred" fight.

sizedRizzoKOsTank.gif

...thing of beauty...

Is this gif tagged somewhere as Tank vs Belfort?
I am curious because every once in a while someone posts it as an excerpt from that fight.
I mus admit Pedro Rozzo looks a bit like young pencil neck Vitor, or maybe its these pants.

tank was a killer

also says a lot about young vitor who just went in there and smashed him

He was a brutal streetfighter and the original boxer/(counter)wrestler. Very much like an early Shane Carwin.

Remember Tank saying he told UFC 'streetfighter' but they went with 'pitfighter'. Tank would have won UFC1 if he entered imo.
U´re only forgettin´one small detail:

UFC 1 = Denver Colorado.

Remember Tank @ UFC 6 ?

Is he still waiting on that sandwich from Ronda?

Form wasn't terrible, but the bounce off the chest would crush most people, lol. Anyway, he was always a fan favorite. I saw him get tapped out fast by Frank Mir in Atlantic City after a long layoff. I still have the shirt that says, "The Return of Tank".

I remember that fight. Frank looked nervous as hell and was really pumped when he pulled off the sub and got out of there alive lol.

I do wanna say that Oleg deserved what he got here. He looked absolutely disgusted when Macias didn't try to fight him, if looks could kill...

I actually interpreted that look quite differently.

I took it as a "I'm sorry you had to be the sacrificial lamb on my way to the top" kinda look.

Oleg was a sweetheart. Asking a dude to take a dive isn't easy.

I actually interpreted that look quite differently.

I took it as a "I'm sorry you had to be the sacrificial lamb on my way to the top" kinda look.

Oleg was a sweetheart. Asking a dude to take a dive isn't easy.

Oleg didnt need this. Period.

I always thought this theory was pure BS. But since I saw JBJ takin´PEDs at LHW and not @ HW, Im startin´to believe that there is/was no limit to human stupidity in NHB/MMA.

Oleg & Macias´ manager was a rookie, completely clueless.

Who knows...

Here is a bit more about the Nelmark fight and what he had to say about the fight itself....its near the bottom of the page under "Semifinals"

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=eightmenout
ABBOTT: The beginning of the UFC, there's that little clique of guys that, for the most part, I call clowns, but by the same token, it was like a little brotherhood where we did something not too many people in this world would do. I tip my hat to them. Even Shamrock.

Damn, gotta give a little credit to Tank here, giving respect when he used to say he never respected anyone (well, save for Vitor since Vitor beat him at his own game back then.)

Amazing dude
Sold everyone on bar brawler image but in reality trained hard (boxing and wrestling from young age ,the weights and marathon running)
Btought in tito into mma as he needed a big wrestler to train with and tito got interested in the sport and went from there
Tito brought in chuck and their fights and personalities helped save mma

So in roundabout way tank saved the ufc!!!

ABBOTT: The beginning of the UFC, there's that little clique of guys that, for the most part, I call clowns, but by the same token, it was like a little brotherhood where we did something not too many people in this world would do. I tip my hat to them. Even Shamrock.

Damn, gotta give a little credit to Tank here, giving respect when he used to say he never respected anyone (well, save for Vitor since Vitor beat him at his own game back then.)
He was an ambiguous dude... Remember the Puerto Rico incident with Joe Moreira, Kimo & Allan Goes...

Back