Danny Garcia vs Mauricio Herrera?

Danny always gasses, he just has a way of fighting through... Usually

Herrea won that fight

I think some people are giving garcia way too much credit for the early rounds. it was a close fight though, but I don't think there was a robbery.

his power punching was effective though, this was a close fact I cant deny that but I have no issue with anyone scoring it for garcia. though 116-112 seems a bit wide and giving garcia every close round.

115-113, 114-114 seemed to be more like the real story.

Herrera did way better than expected though. danny seemed a bit gassed late and thats where he lost most of the rounds
I just feel like in this fight...Garcia's power punching wasn't effective enough to hold more weight over jabs like it usually does in other fights. I don't really seem to recall Herrera being that effected by his punches.

And oddly enough, I gave Garcia a few of the later rounds because he adjusted and let his hands go a little more. I believe I gave him rounds 10 and 11, in particular.

According to Showtime, Garcia's homecoming got 1.1 million viewers.

He landed more jabs, many of which where just throwaway punches. Garcia landed more power punches. Considerably mor,e and was landing some good shots to the body of his own.

A draw I could have understood. No way Herrera won that fight.

By your judging criteria, PAC should of beat Bradley easy then as PAC landed way more power punches compared to Bradley's light punches and jabs which many were throw away punches.

Flip flopper

By your judging criteria, PAC should of beat Bradley easy then as PAC landed way more power punches compared to Bradley's light punches and jabs which many were throw away punches.

Flip flopper

Yes, obviously because Pac/Bradley and Garcia/Herrera were identical fights.

I already said earlier that I don't use punch stats to score fights.

when the good guys like pacquiao clearly lose to marquez (fight 3) "you have to beat the champ clearly to win the belt" comes into play a lot
then when herrera and garcia have a close fight that a lot of people here are scoring a draw "herrera was robbed clearly won the fight"

Herrera did land good jabs, but unlike someone like a paulie malignaggi he was hit with power shots often. this was a close fight that I dont think herrera desrved the nod anyway. garcia underachieved and it was a draw because he faded late.

If Herrera had let his hands go more he would have gotten the win. Not enough combos and too much stalling.

Pretty much.

In the last 4 rounds, excluding the 12th, Herrera was not busy enough.

Garcia couldn't seem to adjust to Herrera but I didn't see Herrera doing enough late in the fight to take the rounds.

Pretty much.

In the last 4 rounds, excluding the 12th, Herrera was not busy enough.

Garcia couldn't seem to adjust to Herrera but I didn't see Herrera doing enough late in the fight to take the rounds.

I thought 3 of the last 4 rounds were the only clear herrera rounds...... to even a fight garcia was controlling

if I saw the final rounds the way you saw it my score card would be 117-111,

first 3 rounds herrera barely let his jab go so it was hard to give him any of those when his jab is his only punch

giving herrera one round in the first 4 would be super generous.

this might have been a tricky fight to score. lots of people giving herrera early rounds when they saw garcia have difficulties in spots. I didnt watch it live and knew the results. having herrera up after 4 like showtime did was beyond silly.

Last edited:
I just got around to scoring this fight and had it 115-113 Garcia. Extremely close fight that was difficult to score. A lot of rounds that could have gone either way. It's a bit disappointing for Garcia to struggle this much with Herrera, but that's likely more down to people underrating Herrera. Garcia is a very tough fighter who came through big against Matthysse and Khan (and truly earned his place as the man at 140), but he did struggle at times with an older Morales, Holt and Judah. Garcia is going to be an elite fighter for awhile in all likelihood and be game against anyone around his weight, but I'm not sure if he has the craft or athletic ability to be a truly dominant champion. Either way, he tends to be in great fights and he has beaten a lot of top fighters as of late. Not a lot I can find fault with in that regard.

Back