Danny Garcia vs Mauricio Herrera?

I had it 8-4 for Herrera. I thought he out worked Danny and outboxed him with his jabs and boxing in the clinch. Can't really see how Garcia won the fight let alone 8 rounds.

I had it 8-4 for Herrera. I thought he out worked Danny and outboxed him with his jabs and boxing in the clinch. Can't really see how Garcia won the fight let alone 8 rounds.

I gave Garcia 8 rounds.

As I've said before, I personally don't score rounds by counting punches.

I DID see a couple of close rounds and could have agreed with the 114/114 score though. But I don't see how people had Herrera winning that fight.

I keep seeing people pointing out punch stats and jabs but Garcia outlanded Herrera in power by a considerable margin, I'm not sure why people keep leaving that out. I don't care for punch stats as evidence but if you're going to look at one guys stats, look at the other guys stats too. We all know judges favor power over jabs 99.9999999% of the time. Garcia vs Herrera wasn't an amateur fight, where outlanding a guy means you won.

Cuban is quickly becoming the new Watchmeimadumbfuck of this forum by saying some of the stupidest nonsense ever.

"Canelo needs to step it up..." (Despite fighting the best active fighter )

"Danny Garcia got exposed..."

Both are true statements.

I'll say it again, the Mayweather fight doesn't count because there was no risk going into that fight. He had a built in excuse (He actually had many).

Both are true statements.

I'll say it again, the Mayweather fight doesn't count because there was no risk going into that fight. He had a built in excuse (He actually had many).

Challenging the very best fighter isn't stepping it up?

Canelo could have easily gone done the Gerry ****ey route and continue to pick on sub par opposition and over the hill fighters.

Instead, he challenged the P4P great.

That by definition, is "stepping it up."

animanfan, expert in exposing hype and predicting real future boxing stars since 2010.

broner losing to a ( solid ) second tier fighter in maidana = a bump in the road.

mathysse coming off a win over an opponent better than anyone on broner's resume ( and better than broner himself actually ) and then losing to the king of the division = hype , exposed , fraud .....

and you want to lecture people on not writing off fighters after one loss / bad performance? epic stuff.

You are boring me....I never said that Matthyse was a bad fighter just that he WAS a hype/fraud etc COMPARED to the amount of ridiculous acclaim he was getting. He was getting an absurd amount of hype thats why when he failed to live up to it it was telling. He is certainly a good fighter just not the next Tyson like every dumb person seemed to think.

To be fair the hype on sherdog was not so bad as on sites like Boxing scene forum.

My point was that lots of fighters have bad performances against guys they should have dominated (including Mayweather)...Doesn't mean they are doomed and their careers have been for nothing...

Far Fan

Did you really look back all the way in my posts to find that?? Wow someone needs to find other hobbies....So I made a bad call big deal who hasn't?? I didn't realize how much Broner would struggle in moving from 135 to 147. I thought he would handle the weight jump nicely, but he obviously hasn't....No big deal as many fighters struggle when moving up weight classes. I made that comment about Broner before he fought Paulie and before he moved up from 35 to 47.

I've made some good predictions and I've made some bad predictions....Just like everyone else on here. I had Garcia beating Matthyse but I also had Canelo beating Floyd and we saw what happened in that fight.

Last edited:
Guerrero would not defeat Garcia.

He's a southpaw with a size/weight edge on Danny....so their is always a chance but I would favor Danny as well.

I think Keith One time Thurman can beat Danny at 147.

I never was a fan of Danny, in his fight with Khan he was being dominated. If only Khan had a friggin chin! :icon_sad:

One Time vs Swift! Make it happen Showtime!

Khan always dominates his opponents early on so that doesn't surprise me....He did the same to Lamont, Maidana, Judah etc. It's once his opponents start to time him (against a power puncher) that he is doomed.

I think Khan would take a few early rounds from Mayweather before getting countered to death.

You are boring me....I never said that Matthyse was a bad fighter just that he WAS a hype/fraud etc COMPARED to the amount of ridiculous acclaim he was getting. He was getting an absurd amount of hype thats why when he failed to live up to it it was telling. He is certainly a good fighter just not the next Tyson like every dumb person seemed to think.

To be fair the hype on sherdog was not so bad as on sites like Boxing scene forum.

the thing is that your whole shtick is getting annoying.
everytime after a major event you drop by this section ,start whinning about " hype " , " hipsters " , " exotic fighters "... it's getting tiresome .

what you don't seem to realize is that you're guilty of the same thing you accused the " idiots " of doing . weren't you hyping broner up when he didn't have a single good win his resume ? wasn't broner more hyped up than mathysse ? did mathysse headline major showtime / hbo cards ? was mathysse ranked the number one in any divsion ? was mathysse ranked number fucking 5 p4p ? was mathysse ever branded " the future of boxing " ?

.....and didn't broner end up losing to a less talented guy than the one who beat mathysse ? so who didn't really live up to the billing and initial hype here?

My point was that lots of fighters have bad performances against guys they should have dominated (including Mayweather)...Doesn't mean they are doomed and their careers have been for nothing...

i agree with this .
let's just see if you give GGG and other " exotic " fighters the same benefit of the doubt the moment they look human against someone .

Did you really look back all the way in my posts to find that?? Wow someone needs to find other hobbies..

it took 30 seconds using the advanced search .

I've made some good predictions and I've made some bad predictions....Just like everyone else on here. I had Garcia beating Matthyse but I also had Canelo beating Floyd and we saw what happened in that fight.

there is nothing wrong with getting predictions wrong, that's hardly the point .

the problem here is your condescending , self righteous attitude ( calling people who believed mathysse would beat garcia " idiots " , bashing GGG fans etc...) acting like you're impervious to hype etc...

you know what's ironic ? you bought into the biggest hype in boxing ( broner ) , yet you still act like a know it all boxing guru who's out on a crusade to expose the sport's hypejobs .

did you get on the " kovalev is a hypejob " bandwagon yet?

Not abandoning the band wagon but I re watched Garcia-Matthysse and realized Garcia is getting way too much credit for that fight

Zab had an easier time with Lucas than Garcia and I also discovered that Matthysse was never anything special to begin with, he had plenty of opportunities against Garcia and never capitalized so it was more of Lucas' lack thereof than Garcia out performing Lucas

And then we last Saturday's fight

Garcia better revamp and make adjustments if he's jumping to 147

Not abandoning the band wagon but I re watched Garcia-Matthysse and realized Garcia is getting way too much credit for that fight

Zab had an easier time with Lucas than Garcia and I also discovered that Matthysse was never anything special to begin with, he had plenty of opportunities against Garcia and never capitalized so it was more of Lucas' lack thereof than Garcia out performing Lucas

And then we last Saturday's fight

Garcia better revamp and make adjustments if he's jumping to 147

Lucas didn't jab in that fight. That's one thing that really stood out for me. His game plan was probably to just to rush in and try to knock Garcia out early. It was pathetic. The funny thing is, as bad of a game plan as that was the fight was still close. I think I had Lucas up 5-1 or 4-2 after 6 and then when his eye shut the fight completely changed. Lucas fought like a very low IQ brawler. Those fighters Danny thrives against.

But I'm telling you, put him in with a fighter that has a slick style and he's toast.

This fight was a draw at best for Garcia. Up to 116-112 for Herrera would have been acceptable.

116-112 Herrera is a ridiculous score.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous...

I can see that...

I had it 115-113 for Herrera.

There were some really close rounds where Garcia seemed confused, rather lost and getting tagged more often.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous...

I can see that...

I had it 115-113 for Herrera.

There were some really close rounds where Garcia seemed confused, rather lost and getting tagged more often.

I knew when it became apparent that Herrera wasn't getting KO'd that people would claim the decision was a robbery.

I'll say it again, I think people didn't know Herrera and expected a guy who is closing in on P4P status to walk over him and gave him more credit than he deserved.

Volume punching doesn't = winning.

I knew when it became apparent that Herrera wasn't getting KO'd that people would claim the decision was a robbery.

I'll say it again, I think people didn't know Herrera and expected a guy who is closing in on P4P status to walk over him and gave him more credit than he deserved.

Volume punching doesn't = winning.

It wasn't just volume punching, he was also landing more.

Again, I can see how Danny Garcia was given the nod.

No controversy here.

the thing is that your whole shtick is getting annoying.
everytime after a major event you drop by this section ,start whinning about " hype " , " hipsters " , " exotic fighters "... it's getting tiresome .

what you don't seem to realize is that you're guilty of the same thing you accused the " idiots " of doing . weren't you hyping broner up when he didn't have a single good win his resume ? wasn't broner more hyped up than mathysse ? did mathysse headline major showtime / hbo cards ? was mathysse ranked the number one in any divsion ? was mathysse ranked number fucking 5 p4p ? was mathysse ever branded " the future of boxing " ?

.....and didn't broner end up losing to a less talented guy than the one who beat mathysse ? so who didn't really live up to the billing and initial hype here?

i agree with this .
let's just see if you give GGG and other " exotic " fighters the same benefit of the doubt the moment they look human against someone .

it took 30 seconds using the advanced search .

there is nothing wrong with getting predictions wrong, that's hardly the point .

the problem here is your condescending , self righteous attitude ( calling people who believed mathysse would beat garcia " idiots " , bashing GGG fans etc...) acting like you're impervious to hype etc...

you know what's ironic ? you bought into the biggest hype in boxing ( broner ) , yet you still act like a know it all boxing guru who's out on a crusade to expose the sport's hypejobs .

did you get on the " kovalev is a hypejob " bandwagon yet?

Nah I love Kovalev lol, but I'm not sure if he will beat Adonis or Hopkins....You make some fair points I just get tired when "foreign" fighters get hyped up so much...But it is what it is. It's not to bad on Sherdog, but you go to some other forums and literally every 3rd thread is about how GGG is some alien god who will KO Ward and Hopkins at the same time in 1 round.

I also hate when people dislike or unfairly underrate fighters for things that have nothing to do with boxing (People hating on Broner or Mayweather skills because they don't like there personalities....people hating on Garcia as a boxer because they hate Angel Garcia etc etc) I find that type of shit moronic and it's very common in boxing....Fighters should be judged/ranked on their skills alone...Not anything else unrelated to boxing.

It's hard to say if Maidana is less talented than Matthyse....I would put them about equal but Maidana is the tougher opponent for Broner because he's now a legit 147lber.

It wasn't just volume punching, he was also landing more.

Again, I can see how Danny Garcia was given the nod.

No controversy here.

He landed more jabs, many of which where just throwaway punches. Garcia landed more power punches. Considerably mor,e and was landing some good shots to the body of his own.

A draw I could have understood. No way Herrera won that fight.

the thing i find weird is in rounds 9-12. the judge that had herrera up gave him only one round.

which shows you the open scoring affects the judges. one judge has herrera up. and sees andhears the other scores and makes up for it.

I didnt see the full fight only the last 4 rounds which danny garcia looked gassed in and didnt let his hands go.
I'm assuming he dominated the early fight though I'llwatch it tonight.

Nah I love Kovalev lol, but I'm not sure if he will beat Adonis or Hopkins....You make some fair points I just get tired when "foreign" fighters get hyped up so much...But it is what it is. It's not to bad on Sherdog, but you go to some other forums and literally every 3rd thread is about how GGG is some alien god who will KO Ward and Hopkins at the same time in 1 round.

I get the hype from the promoters and broadcasters but when the fans blindly eat it up it what I find annoying.
With punchers in particular, some fans almost seem to have some weird personal problem with other people not being fans or even try to pretend that they are the only one who truly appreciates the fighter in question. Posters who normally seem rational and intelligent suddenly start coming at you like a hormonal teen age girl.

the thing i find weird is in rounds 9-12. the judge that had herrera up gave him only one round.

which shows you the open scoring affects the judges. one judge has herrera up. and sees andhears the other scores and makes up for it.

I didnt see the full fight only the last 4 rounds which danny garcia looked gassed in and didnt let his hands go.
I'm assuming he dominated the early fight though I'llwatch it tonight.

I gave Herrera the 12th round, I know that much. I don't recall how I scored the previous 3. I think I had the fight even after 4, so I only gave Herrera one more round between 5-11.

Back