Daniel Day Kim thanks Ed Skrien for giving up Hellboy role to be played by an Asian

My problem wasn't even the whitewashing, it was ScarJo. So tired of her at this point, she's not even that great of an actress.
Agreed. She's been overrated forever and has been played out for nearly as long.

I think part of the issue is that liberal Hollywood has been doing this to Asian's for decades. Even today they're what 7%-8% of the population and I don't think they get the even .1% of the leading roles in American movies. If they got a few extra that weren't meant for them I wouldn't care, there's more than enough white guys represented in movies and pop culture for me to identify with.
Don't give a shit. Two wrongs don't make a right. Frankly, I think the reason Asians tend to succeed less in the arts is because they pursue the arts less, but then, I don't think like a libtard that any inequality in the world reflects some simmering evil below the surface.

Frankly, I think it's asinine to call the inherent nature of theatricality "racewashing". Pretending to be something you're not is the essence of acting and theater. If this is what libtards decide they want, fine, but I'm going to be a referee holding a whistle. If I see an anti-white double standard pop up I'm going to put the liberal party's overt racism on full blast.

I think part of the issue is that liberal Hollywood has been doing this to Asian's for decades. Even today they're what 7%-8% of the population and I don't think they get the even .1% of the leading roles in American movies. If they got a few extra that weren't meant for them I wouldn't care, there's more than enough white guys represented in movies and pop culture for me to identify with.
I see your point but I think if Asians want more representation they shouldn't focus so much on the actors as much as they should on the creators behind the scenes like the screenwriters and directors. The indie scene is getting better with crowd funding and with the big blockbusters losing steam there could be even more space for the indie guys. That's where minorities should focus their efforts, support minorities directors and producers and screenwriters who will craft the movies that demand Asian roles.

Don't give a shit. Two wrongs don't make a right. Frankly, I think the reason Asians tend to succeed less in the arts is because they pursue the arts less, but then, I don't think like a libtard that any inequality in the world reflects some simmering evil below the surface.

Do you think the reason they're represented less could be a mix of them not pursuing arts AND a racially biased system? It doesn't have to be one or the other, could be both.

Frankly, I think it's asinine to call the inherent nature of theatricality "racewashing". Pretending to be something you're not is the essence of acting and theater. But if this is what libtards decide they want, fine, but I'm going to be a referee holding a whistle. If I see an anti-white double standard pop up I'm going to put the liberal party's overt racism on full blast.

Great so you're going to champion anti-white sentiment and racism when white people are the target...

Last edited:
I see your point but I think if Asians want more representation they shouldn't focus so much on the actors as much as they should on the creators behind the scenes like the screenwriters and directors. The indie scene is getting better with crowd funding and with the big blockbusters losing steam there could be even more space for the indie guys. That's where minorities should focus their efforts, support minorities directors and producers and screenwriters who will craft the movies that demand Asian roles.

I think that if a minority wants to achieve more exposure they should champion both. The indie scene produces much better movies and documentaries imho but there is so much more reach with roles in mainstream hollywood.

Do you think the reason they're represented less could be a mix of them not pursuing arts AND a racially biased system? It doesn't have to be one or the other, could be both.
Who cares about possible explanations? That's bad milk. That gets us nowhere. The possibility of discrimination isn't a sufficient reason to actively reverse-discriminate.

The question here is the integrity of the system and whether or not we are institutionalizing a culture of discrimination. The idea is to redress any discrimination that might be taking place, not to double down on it going the other way. If a person genuinely cares about creating a world without discrimination, then this is the most remarkably easy call to make. If he isn't...well, that tells you all you need to know about what is really in his heart.
Great so you're going to champion anti-white sentiment and racism when white people are the target...
If you say stupid shit I'll treat you accordingly.

Who cares about possible explanations? That's bad milk. That gets us nowhere. The possibility of discrimination isn't a sufficient reason to actively reverse-discriminate.

The question here is the integrity of the system and whether or not we are institutionalizing a culture of discrimination. The idea is to redress any discrimination that might be taking place, not to double down on it going the other way. If a person genuinely cares about creating a world without discrimination, then this is the most remarkably easy call to make. If he isn't...well, that tells you all you need to know about what is really in his heart.

This is interesting, how do you determine if discrimination is actual or just possible? I can just look at the metrics and ratios of populations and representation in Hollywood films and see the discrepancy. Can you really say that with a population of 25 million that there aren't enough Asians that aspire to be movie or television stars? Secondly lets look at how "Liberal" Hollywood has treated them in the past. Remember this guy:

Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

If you say stupid shit I'll treat you accordingly.

I'm not the one who said it.

"If I see an anti-white double standard pop up I'm going to put the liberal party's overt racism on full blast."

Will you call out racism against minorities, seems you only mentioned anti-white racism here.

Last edited:
This is interesting, how do you determine if discrimination is actual or just possible? I can just look at the metrics and ratios of populations and representation in Hollywood films and see the discrepancy. Can you really say that with a population of 25 million that there aren't enough Asians that aspire to be movie or television stars? Secondly lets look at how "Liberal" Hollywood has treated them in the past. Remember this guy:

Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg
Are you determined to fall into every trap I pointed out to you? This is the two-wrongs-make-a-right argument, and it deviates entirely from the forward-looking fulcrum of my argument; that we are talking about setting a new precedent with these "race-appropriate" castings.
I'm not the one who said it.

"If I see an anti-white double standard pop up I'm going to put the liberal party's overt racism on full blast."

Will you call out racism against minorities, seems you only mentioned anti-white racism here.
The topic of the thread is a white actor being replaced by an Asian, and I also only mentioned the liberal party.

tenor.gif

Accordingly.

Are you determined to fall into every trap I pointed out to you? This is the two-wrongs-make-a-right argument, and it deviates entirely from the forward-looking fulcrum of my argument; that we are talking about setting a new precedent with these "race-appropriate" castings.

The topic of the thread is a white actor being replaced by an Asian, and I also only mentioned the liberal party.

tenor.gif

Accordingly.

At the heart of our disagreement is what we see as fair, you see fair as being one for one with no account for the past or power dynamics, if one group gets to do it then so does the other. I'm trying to take into account history and power with dominant and marginalized groups in what I see as fair. I wouldn't care if Hollywood made an ethnic James Bond but I'd probably take note if they made a white Bruce Lee. One group has had an almost monopoly on all the protagonists and major movie roles in the history of American cinema where the other has had almost none. So like Einstein says: It's relative.

I don't think its that simple. Sometimes the character's ethnicity matters and sometimes it doesn't. The thing is being white is usually the default for characters whereas minority characters tend to have their background play more of a role in their stories so more often than not its weird to whitewash a character but not so much to have POC play white characters.

One recent example that does annoy me though is MJ in Spiderman Homecoming. Her being a redhead was always a trademark feature of hers and they already had Liz Thomson who is black so why change MJ? And on top of that why make her a bratty SJW?
What was stupid was calling Zendaya's character MJ. They beat you over the head with the message that she's NOT Mary Jane Whatson, create a whole new character and then still call her MJ (just not Mary Jane). It was a stupid wink wink moment in a film that goes out of it's way to say "hey you guise look at how diverse we are!"

Not that I think diversity is inherently good or bad, but it seemed a little hamfisted in Homecoming.

Slightly off-topic, but what's the opinion of roland from the dark tower series being played by a black guy? I only ask cos i dimly remember on of the leading characters in the books being a black woman with multiple personalities, one of whom was a raging racist that hated whitey. It was somewhat pertinent to their relationship, as i recall

At the heart of our disagreement is what we see as fair, you see fair as being one for one with no account for the past or power dynamics, if one group gets to do it then so does the other. I'm trying to take into account history and power with dominant and marginalized groups in what I see as fair. I wouldn't care if Hollywood made an ethnic James Bond but I'd probably take note if they made a white Bruce Lee. One group has had an almost monopoly on all the protagonists and major movie roles in the history of American cinema where the other has had almost none. So like Einstein says: It's relative.
At the heart of our disagreement is that you advocate for discrimination, and I do not.

remember when Jean Claude Van Damme played an American in Bloodsport? Ruined the movie for me. Them pretending he had an "American" accent was just silly

In the Hellboy reboot, Ed Skiren was set to play Major Ben Daimo , who is Japanese American in the comics. After backlash of whitewashing, Ed Skiren exited the role. Allowing the producers to cast Korean American Daniel Day Kim.

Kim says Asians or Asian Americans should play Asian characters.

Heres the thing though: Asians are diverse, so some of them are going to have problems with X Asian ethnicity playing Y Asian ethnicity. Kim is Korean American but thinks it is fine for him to play a Japanese American. Wonder if Korean Americans would be fine with Korean American roles going to Japanese Americans.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/daniel-dae-kim-thanks-ed-201503008.html

When it comes to ficitional characters or even an artistic reintepretation of real life characters, it doesn't bother me if the ethnicity of the onscreen actor and the literary character are the same. Obvioulsy if the movie is trying to accurately tell the story of a real life event, then the phenotypes should match. For example: it would not make sense to have a White or Asian woman play Rosa Parks in movie.

I liked the previous 2 Hellboys but with Ron Perlmann not reprising his role, I am not enthusiatic about the reboot.

This is the same dude who left a show earlier this year because he claimed he being paid unfairly due to racism despite not being a main charachter, correct? Yeah, where was this dude complaining about Irene Kennedy not being white in American Assassin?

Dont care what race plays which character as long as the movie is good. I think this will be a flop tho. Partially because of identity politiics, and partially because the first 2 Hellboys were awesome movies and came out not that long ago.

Personally, id rather see them reboot movies like Timecop or Highlander. Maybe have Michael Jai
White play a Scottsman.

I actually agree about changing race not mattering. If a movie os good, no one will care. If a movie os bad..... It still wont matter.

Slightly off-topic, but what's the opinion of roland from the dark tower series being played by a black guy? I only ask cos i dimly remember on of the leading characters in the books being a black woman with multiple personalities, one of whom was a raging racist that hated whitey. It was somewhat pertinent to their relationship, as i recall
i feel like Idris Elba can pull off a vintage Clint Eastwood vibe better than most white actors anyway which is more important.

As an Asian can I say what bothers me more isn't the lack of Asian actors playing Asian characters but to Hollywood apparently clothing and set pieces (buildings) between Japan, Korea, China, and others are all the same?

Last Samurai is the biggest offender of this with what the characters wore as armor into the final battle.

The helmet with horns that the guy who hated Tom Cruise war is NOT something you'd see in Japan, same with the main clan's leader. Hell, the most realistic is what the foot soldiers wear and even then what they war was tightly woven bamboo/reeds, not steel.

At the heart of our disagreement is that you advocate for discrimination, and I do not.

You think in absolutes and don't take into account other factors, for instance do you believe that because gay people have a pride day parade that it's discrimination if straight people can't have one too?

Back