Daniel Day Kim thanks Ed Skrien for giving up Hellboy role to be played by an Asian

I honestly don't care if they change a characters race. The only time it matter is if it's important to the story.

Soon after, it was revealed that former Hawaii Five-0 star Daniel Dae Kim - who recently left the CBS cop show after the studio refused to pay him as much as his white costars - was awarded the role of Ben Daimio instead. It's an inspired casting choice, and Kim is grateful to Skrein for opening it up for him.

So this was the guy that wanted to be paid as much as the main characters of the show despite being a supporting character. Talk about rewarding bad behaviour. "Thanks Skrein for being such a sucker and letting me have your role and your salary."

Yea that's pretty horrible. Nothing is as bad as the lady from House of Cards. Literally demands to be paid as much as fucking Kevin Spacey who's had 4X the career she has. Then threatens to go public using the women vs men pay card.

Not really, it was a sensible PR move of his part. He would've been at the center of the backlash and labeled as "the guy who got fired from GoT and later played a whitewashed Asian character".

He probably figured the film wasn't a exactly a safe bet (it could very well bomb) and not worth the hassle. The guys you mentioned previously (Idris Elba and Michael Clarke Duncan) were well established artists who didn't care one way or another, similarly to their whitewashing counterparts (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson...).

Playing a whitewashed role in a movie that bombed could potentially kill his career. I don't agree or disagree with his career decision, but I see where he's coming from.

Fair points. He'll probably do better out of turning the role down than from playing it.

Meh. I was always on the side of the Empire/First Order anyway. Fuck the Rebel Scum:)

Also, when the movie was released in China, they changed the poster to reduce the size of Finn's picture I believe;)

Ya since they let darkies in the rebellions gone to hell ;)

how funny (& fucked up) would it be is they fired Kim & instead hired Lewis.

"sorry bro, we had an opportunity for a better Daniel Day - this has nothing to do with race".

Didn't DDL retire? Funny thing is that even though his career spans decades, the number of films he actually starred in can probably be counted on fingers and toes.

I think it would be considered offensive if a Japanese / Japanese American actor played a Korean character . Reason = ww2

Agree, those two nations HATE each other.

I wonder what the cut-off is, could a south asian play a japanese character? what about an inuit? native american? Just how far from the japanese gene-pool do you need to be to make it racist?

Not sure what the big deal is with this. I didn't have a problem with a black dude playing Nick Fury, then again people will bitch about the smallest things these days.

Not sure what the big deal is with this. I didn't have a problem with a black dude playing Nick Fury, then again people will bitch about the smallest things these days.

If minority actors really want equal representation, then black actors would get like 15% of roles. I dont think they want actual parity.

Five years ago I wouldn't have cared but I have a daughter who is mixed and yeah, just seeing people in movies or TV shows really sets perception. It sounds dumb but it is true. I don't know what role media should have. Parenting should play a major role but a kid is a sponge. They absorb anything around them.

Dont care what race plays which character as long as the movie is good. I think this will be a flop tho. Partially because of identity politiics, and partially because the first 2 Hellboys were awesome movies and came out not that long ago.

Personally, id rather see them reboot movies like Timecop or Highlander. Maybe have Michael Jai
White play a Scottsman.

Agree, those two nations HATE each other.

I wonder what the cut-off is, could a south asian play a japanese character? what about an inuit? native american? Just how far from the japanese gene-pool do you need to be to make it racist?

It would be white-washing to cast a South Asian because they are racially different, even though US census just lumps them in with East Asians. Some MiddleEastern people on social media are not happy that a half-Indian half-White woman is playing Jasmine in the upcoming Disney Alladin movie. They say the part should have gone to an Arab because Jasmine is Arab. But the Disney cartoons never make it clear that Jasmine is Arab.

There would be an epic online shit-show if Hollywood casts an Arab to play a well known historical Persian character. It would be obvious trolling by Hollywood.

I have friends, who are half-white + half-Japanese but they look totally White. I think it would be considered white-washing if they were cast to play Japanese characters because people would say the casting team deliberately picked the Whitest looking part Japanese persons.

I haven't read the comics so I am not emotionally attached to the characters being an accurate portrayal of the book . For me it's a case of: is the movie good , regardless of who plays who. If this were not a fictional movie then I would prefer casting to mirror the character being portrayed.

For those of you quite familiar with Korean and Japanese faces, do you think Daniel Dae Kim can pass for Japanese?

No. @Pugilistic @loyalyolayal

3534950a33aa5090d1e9f53706b6f39439ebfacd5a40.gif

First of all, if you're of asian background and you claim you can "see chinese" in another asian person, you're just a judgemental piece of shit

The epicanthic fold for example (asian eye attributed) has a variety of appearances and origins in the old-school mongolian conquest of asia

Even with origins in a particular nationality, it has more percentage likelihood in down syndrome than it does in asian populations

So even the "slant-eyed" racist bullshiite attributed to asian ethnicities has a complicated genetic pattern of occurence that predominately favors genome structure, not nationality

Not to mention that any genetic variation down a family tree manifests into different external varieties, diet and natural environmental adaptations

Science is hard you guys

Racism is easy

Just be consistent. Better see outrage when they racewash characters that are white in the source material.

It's either/or, not icing and the cake.
I don't think its that simple. Sometimes the character's ethnicity matters and sometimes it doesn't. The thing is being white is usually the default for characters whereas minority characters tend to have their background play more of a role in their stories so more often than not its weird to whitewash a character but not so much to have POC play white characters.

One recent example that does annoy me though is MJ in Spiderman Homecoming. Her being a redhead was always a trademark feature of hers and they already had Liz Thomson who is black so why change MJ? And on top of that why make her a bratty SJW?

There is another one, but I can't remember.
Probably Ghost in the Shell. I didn't even watch the trailer, fuck that noise
Also, when the movie was released in China, they changed the poster to reduce the size of Finn's picture I believe;)
Chinese racism>>>White American racism
Wait.. Wat?

The Last Air Bender?

aang_the_last_airbender_by_cigsace.png

Did the animators also snub asians by drawing Aang as white?
Come on man, he's obviously modeled after Tibetan monks. The eyes are like that because the creators are weaboos and they wanted to make it look like anime.

Anyway, the casting is the least of that movie's problems. Should've just made it an animated movie.

Back