Daniel Day Kim thanks Ed Skrien for giving up Hellboy role to be played by an Asian

I mean they couldn't cast Mako or homie that played Shang Tsung in everything....

Yes. That's so painfully and obviously discrimination that it hurts to believe one couldn't comprehend it. Can't is the verb of significance.

"You think in absolutes" is the argument of children regurgitating Hollywood platitudes reflecting a worldview philosophy that can be taught in its entirety to the least intellectually gifted in the space of an afternoon.

This is a disease plaguing our culture. You're literally parroting a (bad) Star Wars movie as your cookie-cutter defense in the absence of a genuine and specific defense. Of course, you already tried the latter, and failed, so that's why you've been reduced to resorting to the same instincts shared by fundamentalist Christians; to retreat to the platitudes of your baser learning. The only difference is that Hollywood is your church.

LOL so you believe that straight pride parades are equal to gay pride parades? Are you trolling right now? If you aren't, you're saying that you don't believe in situational and historical context at all, which is laughable.

And wasn't I the one that was critical of Hollywood and their lack of representation of the population of the U.S, not sure how they could be my church.

Last edited:
I'm just glad he stepped down from GoT so they could cast an actor Emilia Clarke could conceivably want to fuck.

Eh, she went out with Seth McFarlane for a little while IRL. I think Ed would have been fine.

I have read and been told that Koreans do look different to Japanese. I am not around Koreans and Japanese to be familiar with the difference .

The new Aladdin movie has a half Indian half White chick playing Jasmine. This has ellicted protests from some Arab quarters , because they think an Arab should play Jasmine.

Disney has been criticised by fans for casting a non-Arab actor in the new Aladdin film.

" The company has announced Naomi Scott as Jasmine in the live action remake.

Naomi, who is of British and Indian heritage, will star alongside Mena Massoud as Aladdin, and Will Smith as Genie.

Some social media users argue the part should have gone to an actor of Arab heritage instead.
"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40628728/disney-criticised-for-jasmine-casting-in-new-aladdin

If Hollywood cast an Arab to play a famous Persian or viceversa both Arabs and Persians would be might pissed despite both being West Asians. Which is why I think Daniel Kim implying any Asian can play the character of a specific Asian ethnicity is still a kind of washing.
This is some new rule bullshit. I don't remember anyone protesting Freida Pinto playing a Palestinian a few years back before the Left went bat shit and outrage culture became the norm.

This is some new rule bullshit. I don't remember anyone protesting Freida Pinto playing a Palestinian a few years back before the Left went bat shit and outrage culture became the norm.
Arabs have always protested depictions of themselves and or non-Arabs playing Arabs in Hollywood, eg: True Lies. It's just that back then there was no social media and online activity was a fraction of what it is now.

More recently Persians and Iranians objected to Hollywood's depiction of Xerxes and Jake Gyllenhall as a persian in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Arabs have always protested depictions of themselves and or non-Arabs playing Arabs in Hollywood, eg: True Lies. It's just that back then there was no social media and online activity was a fraction of what it is now.

More recently Persians and Iranians objected to Hollywood's depiction of Xerxes and Jake Gyllenhall as a persian in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
Freida Pinto played a Palestinian in 2010. Nobody had a problem with it. Social media and other platforms were perhaps not quite as prevalent as they are now, but they were certainly active. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think people showed more discretion in protesting in the past, whereas these days they're basically protesting just to protest.

Freida Pinto played a Palestinian in 2010. Nobody had a problem with it. Social media and other platforms were perhaps not quite as prevalent as they are now, but they were certainly active. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think people showed more discretion in protesting in the past, whereas these days they're basically protesting just to protest.
/Thread. Pinto also played a Greek goddess in a movie where was the outrage?

Among the people that are upset, most people are ok with minorities playing other ethnic groups but are against it when it's the majority and most powerful group (whites) that do it. They're basically saying, "Whites aren't you already over represented in Hollywood, do you have to take all the roles".

At the heart of our disagreement is what we see as fair, you see fair as being one for one with no account for the past or power dynamics, if one group gets to do it then so does the other. I'm trying to take into account history and power with dominant and marginalized groups in what I see as fair. I wouldn't care if Hollywood made an ethnic James Bond but I'd probably take note if they made a white Bruce Lee. One group has had an almost monopoly on all the protagonists and major movie roles in the history of American cinema where the other has had almost none. So like Einstein says: It's relative.
This statement is something most White Americans will have a hard time admitting. The American Media is power, Hollywood movies are watched all over the World. There should be more Asians being represented in bigger roles in Hollywood movies, a long with Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. If America wants to be seen as a free equal Country, I think they should start with Hollywood first.

This statement is something most White Americans will have a hard time admitting. The American Media is power, Hollywood movies are watched all over the World. There should be more Asians being represented in bigger roles in Hollywood movies, a long with Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. If America wants to be seen as a free equal Country, I think they should start with Hollywood first.

I have to admit, it's tough caring about it when it's something that's not happening to me or a group I identify with, especially when on the surface it's something innocuous. It's also obvious that a lot of whites are feeling attacked and a little defensive so that plays a part in it as well.

i am not a comic person. Is being asian important to being hellboy? Wasnt the guy from sons of anarchy also hellboy?

Among the people that are upset, most people are ok with minorities playing other ethnic groups but are against it when it's the majority and most powerful group (whites) that do it. They're basically saying, "Whites aren't you already over represented in Hollywood, do you have to take all the roles".
The woman in the current role isn't white either, though. ;)

Back