Curtis Stevens, GGG=RIP

I don't take it personally, no. I defend my pick, explain my reasoning and stand by it but I don't go on a campaign against a person because they don't like the same fighter as I do. I see that a lot on this site. "Can you believe this guy picked this guy? Remember how he scored that fight 4 years ago? Lets all hate him forever!"

Not really pointing anyone out here. Just saying, its a sport. Fans have favorites.

It's one thing picking one fighter over another, and that's cool...you were dead on about Danny Garcia and I wish I would have wagered on him considering he was around +210 at one point.

It's another when one constantly attempts to diminish the accomplishments of another fighter. I'm sure you can agree with that.

It's one thing picking one fighter over another, and that's cool...you were dead on about Danny Garcia and I wish I would have wagered on him considering he was around +210 at one point.

It's another when one constantly attempts to diminish the accomplishments of another fighter. I'm sure you can agree with that.

I really see no problem. Thats how people break down fights. You look at a guys flaws and you look at how the other guy takes advantage. I don't know these fighters, I don't hate them. I prefer certain styles over others. I don't care for crude brawlers. The next guy doesn't like the patient counter puncher. Thats just how it is.

The thing about Gennady is that he isn't dynamic or overall great at any one skill set however he is very solid at all of it and he has true KO power which gives you a high chance in any fight.

He's like PAC, they punch through opponents not just make contact.

Golovkin literally does none of the things you guys are saying he does. He is very strong, has a good amount of pop, and knows where to be, what to do with his hands, how to react, ect., basically meaning he is well trained. That's it. All these other attributes and skills are nonexistent and I wonder if we are watching the same fighter. (Or maybe I need to watch more of his fights)

Steve Kim ‏@stevemaxboxing

"GGG-Stevens(1.410, peak 1.5) is the 3rd highest HBO rating in 2013 behind Cotto-Rod(1.5) and Chavez-Vera(1.416) #boxing"

Great number. I could feel it in the room too compared to earlier this year here, people were either there especially for GGG or on their fight for a lot of the fight. HBO has promoted and exposed GGG well. How far he has come in such a short amount of time.

Stevens was promoted well by Main Events too.

Golovkin literally does none of the things you guys are saying he does. He is very strong, has a good amount of pop, and knows where to be, what to do with his hands, how to react, ect., basically meaning he is well trained. That's it. All these other attributes and skills are nonexistent and I wonder if we are watching the same fighter. (Or maybe I need to watch more of his fights)

He is very well schooled, smart, disciplined, good feet, solid chin etc. He can also box on the outside as well as pressure fight. I only see him being challenged at 168. he could struggle with a few of the bigger SMW or be stymied by andre wards Running, Holding, Headbutting tactics. Only time will tell.

I don't take it personally, no. I defend my pick, explain my reasoning and stand by it but I don't go on a campaign against a person because they don't like the same fighter as I do. I see that a lot on this site. "Can you believe this guy picked this guy? Remember how he scored that fight 4 years ago? Lets all hate him forever!"

Not really pointing anyone out here. Just saying, its a sport. Fans have favorites.

I legit had another poster send me like 5 PMs when I pick Nonito over Rigo. He would quote my posts after that then relate them to how I was wrong about Nonito winning.

Example.
Me "I like billy bob to win by boxing from the outside and staying smart, not getting dragged into a brawl"

Like 5minutes later id have a PM.

"Stay smart and box from the outside like Donaire did? HHAHAHAHA your such a tool".

Shit was legit crazy.

I legit had another poster send me like 5 PMs when I pick Nonito over Rigo. He would quote my posts after that then relate them to how I was wrong about Nonito winning.

Example.
Me "I like billy bob to win by boxing from the outside and staying smart, not getting dragged into a brawl"

Like 5minutes later id have a PM.

"Stay smart and box from the outside like Donaire did? HHAHAHAHA your such a tool".

Shit was legit crazy.

What a pheg

He is very well schooled, smart, disciplined, good feet, solid chin etc. He can also box on the outside as well as pressure fight. I only see him being challenged at 168. he could struggle with a few of the bigger SMW or be stymied by andre wards Running, Holding, Headbutting tactics. Only time will tell.

You're right. This is all Ward ever does. He could only beat Golovkin by cheating, obviously.

Ward's one of the best pure boxers in the sport, yeah he gets cagey sometimes but that comes with the territory in a sport where people are kicking the shit out of each other all the time. Especially on the inside, it's just a dirtier type of fighting by nature b/c of how close guys get to each other from so close of a distance.

Bika isn't exactly the cleanest fighter out there but instead of Ward bitching when he got fouled, he gave it right back. Ward does some questionable things on the inside but people have been doing that shit for years. Nobody below 175 beats Ward, imo. GGG's liable to be outboxed and Ward is too good all around, a puncher's chance by GGG but Ward isn't getting pinned on the ropes and broken down as easily as Golovkin's past opponents (GGG's not that hard to hit and Ward would be the quicker guy so he'd beat GGG to the punch), if Rosado gave that much trouble to Kid Chocolate then Ward would dominate him easy, I literally can't think of anyone at 168 that would have a legit chance either. He's basically cleaned that division out.

Ward's one of the best pure boxers in the sport, yeah he gets cagey sometimes but that comes with the territory in a sport where people are kicking the shit out of each other all the time. Especially on the inside, it's just a dirtier type of fighting by nature b/c of how close guys get to each other from so close of a distance.

Bika isn't exactly the cleanest fighter out there but instead of Ward bitching when he got fouled, he gave it right back. Ward does some questionable things on the inside but people have been doing that shit for years. Nobody below 175 beats Ward, imo. GGG's liable to be outboxed and Ward is too good all around, a puncher's chance by GGG but Ward isn't getting pinned on the ropes and broken down as easily as Golovkin's past opponents (GGG's not that hard to hit and Ward would be the quicker guy so he'd beat GGG to the punch), if Rosado gave that much trouble to Kid Chocolate then Ward would dominate him easy, I literally can't think of anyone at 168 that would have a legit chance either. He's basically cleaned that division out.

Ward is one of the few fighters in boxing, these days, that can actually fight on the inside. I like the narrative of Ward that some people perpetuate (that he only gets by being dirty). It sounds awfully similar to what people said of Hopkins (ignoring the fact that he outclassed his opponents in essentially every aspect). If you're getting discredited like Hopkins was/is, you're probably doing something right. Now, some of the fights at LHW could be intriguing. Stevenson is far better than I thought he was (I genuinely misjudged him as a fighter), and Kovalev has looked like a killer.

I've enjoyed Ward's last couple of fights but I thought he was really dirty in the Kessler fight and the reason it stuck with me was because he was dominating BEFORE he got dirty. There was no reason for it.

Ward is one of the few fighters in boxing, these days, that can actually fight on the inside. I like the narrative of Ward that some people perpetuate (that he only gets by being dirty). It sounds awfully similar to what people said of Hopkins (ignoring the fact that he outclassed his opponents in essentially every aspect). If you're getting discredited like Hopkins was/is, you're probably doing something right. Now, some of the fights at LHW could be intriguing. Stevenson is far better than I thought he was (I genuinely misjudged him as a fighter), and Kovalev has looked like a killer.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of inside fighting, a guy like Leo Santa Cruz or a guy like Bhop or Ward are very interesting for me to watch for different reasons. I tend to be a fan of aggressive fighters who never stop coming forward or pure boxers who can stick and move but also fight on the inside in a much more cagey manner. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely dirty fighters out there, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find guys who are adept on the inside and also aren't considered dirty by some fans. Just so much easier to bend the rules on the inside, I remember Rocky just bludgeoning the back of Ezzard's brainstem a few times and the ref never did anything, that was much worse than what you see by people nowadays for the most part.

Another cagey, pure boxing type of fighter I would mention who's also a great inside fighter is Floyd, dude is extremely underrated in that dept, think he might be the best guy right now or at least close to it. A lot of people who want to call Floyd a runner or whatever shit they say forget that he can give as good as he gets on the inside and isn't afraid to dig into the trenches and fight on the inside when he needs to. People try to call him dirty as well, and he's definitely bent some rules at times, but overall it's hard to come by any fighter who's good on the inside and also isn't being called dirty by at least some people.

Casamayor comes to mind as well, guy could hold his own on the inside but did it in a cagey way w/o just laying his head on your chest and trading shots with no regard like some guys do. Very interesting element of this sport to me since, like you said, its kind of becoming extinct these days compared to decades past.

Agree, I think the guy to beat Ward highly likely to be at 175 right now. Adonis and Kovalev might be able to catch him clean enough to stop him since they both have a lot of power and Adonis can actually mix it up and box a bit to switch things up. I would give them a better chance than anyone else at 160 or 68 personally.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of inside fighting, a guy like Leo Santa Cruz or a guy like Bhop or Ward are very interesting for me to watch for different reasons. I tend to be a fan of aggressive fighters who never stop coming forward or pure boxers who can stick and move but also fight on the inside in a much more cagey manner. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely dirty fighters out there, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find guys who are adept on the inside and also aren't considered dirty by some fans. Just so much easier to bend the rules on the inside, I remember Rocky just bludgeoning the back of Ezzard's brainstem a few times and the ref never did anything, that was much worse than what you see by people nowadays for the most part.

Another cagey, pure boxing type of fighter I would mention who's also a great inside fighter is Floyd, dude is extremely underrated in that dept, think he might be the best guy right now or at least close to it. A lot of people who want to call Floyd a runner or whatever shit they say forget that he can give as good as he gets on the inside and isn't afraid to dig into the trenches and fight on the inside when he needs to. People try to call him dirty as well, and he's definitely bent some rules at times, but overall it's hard to come by any fighter who's good on the inside and also isn't being called dirty by at least some people.

Casamayor comes to mind as well, guy could hold his own on the inside but did it in a cagey way w/o just laying his head on your chest and trading shots with no regard like some guys do. Very interesting element of this sport to me since, like you said, its kind of becoming extinct these days compared to decades past.

Agree, I think the guy to beat Ward highly likely to be at 175 right now. Adonis and Kovalev might be able to catch him clean enough to stop him since they both have a lot of power and Adonis can actually mix it up and box a bit to switch things up. I would give them a better chance than anyone else at 160 or 68 personally.

I like the example of Casamayor. It isn't uncommon to hear people say that Cubans can't fight on the inside. Joel is proof that this isn't true. One of my favorite fighters.

You're right. This is all Ward ever does. He could only beat Golovkin by cheating, obviously.

It's not all he does but he wouldn't be where he is without those tactics. I actually like watching him box but the billy goat head butting stuff is something youd expect from some no talent journeyman, not a world class athlete and former olympic gold medalist. I feel the same about wlad klitschko and his incessant holding.

The possibility of GGG going up to Super MW in the next couple years has me wondering how he would have done against Joe Calzaghe. I think Calzaghe's slap style and movement would allow him to win a split decision.

Back