Critique My Deadlift Form Please

To be fair, that guy in video (Garret G) switched to flat deadlift shoes/wrestling shoes exclusively for deadlift.
Ah okay, that makes sense.

To the TS, are you wearing the shoes because you prefer them over flat shoes/barefeet, or are you wearing them because you aren't allowed to go without shoes in the gym and you don't have any flat ones? The most important part is your positioning, but if it's just for the heck of it, why not give flat shoes a try?

Anyway try resetting after each lift and "sit back" a tiny bit just before your pull and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Your hips stay in the "too high" position for every rep after the first because you're doing touch and go. How do you not see/notice this from looking at the video?

So...what you've said makes no sense. It's still the shoes.

Lmao GTFO. So first the problem was my hips shot up too fast because of the lifting shoes. Then the problem is my hips are too high because of lifting shoes? I started with my hips too low on first rep, yanked the bar and got out of position.

*ALERT ALERT* We have a code 5 stalker, I repeat we have a code 5 stalker *ALERT ALERT*

Yeah I'm losing weight so I entered a body transformation challenge. And although alot of anecdotal bullshit floats around there, the community itself is 100x better then this forum.

Been trying to get in shape for so long, this time I've been doing it relatively easy. You know what changed? I stopped trying to do things the way everyone else told me I should do them. I started doing things the way I enjoyed doing them and what felt right.

Like this case. I like the shoes, they make my deads feel better. They make me feel stronger. They don't pose any increase risk of injury. So why wouldn't I use them? If it ever becomes a problem with heavier weights. I'll take the dam things off. This isn't a crazy problem that will fuck me over forever...

Your just upset because I'm assuming since you DL alot people here worship you. So when someone comes around and says "Naw I'm good" you get pouty and act like a bitch. Its sad.

And btw, I'll do a deadlift session with you, if you come to an MMA class at titans with me.

@KylePulley why do you need to explain yourself with a wall of text each time? If you're gonna do what you want to do because it feels 'right' then keep doing that - do you bud. You got the critique you needed here so you have an idea of what to fix, don't worry about having to justify each post with some counter attack towards people who are getting under your skin.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

To the TS, are you wearing the shoes because you prefer them over flat shoes/barefeet, or are you wearing them because you aren't allowed to go without shoes in the gym and you don't have any flat ones? The most important part is your positioning, but if it's just for the heck of it, why not give flat shoes a try?

Anyway try resetting after each lift and "sit back" a tiny bit just before your pull and see if that helps.

I don't have chucks and they won't let me deadlift barefoot. I do have these loafer type shoes that are quite flat (80% as flat as chucks) and I was using them. I honestly think I just like the WL shoes more. I can't say why. I just feel stronger with them. I've deadlifted barefoot in the past. From what I remember I like WL deads more then those too.

Thanks for the advice. When you say back, you mean away from the bar not down towards ground right?

@KylePulley why do you need to explain yourself with a wall of text each time? If you're gonna do what you want to do because it feels 'right' then keep doing that - do you bud. You got the critique you needed here so you have an idea of what to fix, don't worry about having to justify each post with some counter attack towards people who are getting under your skin.

Your right, I have a bad habit of arguing with morons. Keep forgetting there is no winning those arguments.

Lmao GTFO. So first the problem was my hips shot up too fast because of the lifting shoes. Then the problem is my hips are too high because of lifting shoes? I started with my hips too low on first rep, yanked the bar and got out of position.

Your just upset because I'm assuming since you DL alot people here worship you. So when someone comes around and says "Naw I'm good" you get pouty and act like a bitch. Its sad.

Lol wow.

You legit don't even know what you don't know.

This is getting pretty sad, bro.

Lol wow.

You legit don't even know what you don't know.

This is getting pretty sad, bro.

What I do know is back on your opening post you didn't mention any of this...its almost like your making up shit because were arguing....

I won't respond to you again.

Kyle I've trained MMA, BJJ, Boxing and wrestling. I've competed in wrestling and boxing, and trained collegiate wrestlers and amateur and professional boxers and MMA fighters. I've had the awesome opportunity to train with UFC champions and high level boxers. Can you take my advice?

If you want to get strong, taking the advice of strong guys is a great place to start.

Waiting until you get strong to develop good motor patterns is not ideal. Some strong and knowledgeable guys are trying to give you some advice to help you get stronger, but hey you saw a youtube video and read a Rippetoe article.

I have a son who has no clue about the fundamentals of pretty much anything in life, whether its writing with a pen, pitching a baseball or playing hockey. He's ok at all these things, and because he's naturally athletic he can get by. This I fear is the result of having access to too much information. We have direct access to what the high level guys are doing and we want to do that. "I saw this on YouTube, or I read some post and follow some guy on IG. Back in the day you had to ask someone who was better than you at something for help. You spent time drilling the basics, understanding them, applying them and only then developing your way of doing things.

As a coach myself I find it very difficult to focus on basics and fundamental skills while trying to distract my athletes from the latest WTF moment, dangle or dunk on YouTube. And until you've stood in front of a bunch of kids with their parents looking over your shoulder and weighing on every breath you speak, its just not going to sink in. So if you continue to DL like you're doing and you find you're spinning your wheelz, there won't be anyone here or anywhere to help you, because people like you will have destroyed this kind of resource for others...

Last edited:
I don't have chucks and they won't let me deadlift barefoot. I do have these loafer type shoes that are quite flat (80% as flat as chucks) and I was using them. I honestly think I just like the WL shoes more. I can't say why. I just feel stronger with them. I've deadlifted barefoot in the past. From what I remember I like WL deads more then those too.

Thanks for the advice. When you say back, you mean away from the bar not down towards ground right?
What I mean is basicly the same as the people saying "take the slack out of the bar". You're in pretty good position at the beginning of the first rep, you're kinda doing it there. You couldn't hold it and weight went forward a little and your hips shot up first though. The rest of the reps you didn't lose position, but the bar was a little too far ahead of you and you didn't do that little sitback and taking the slack out that you did in the first rep. That sitback and tightening is what I'm talking about.

When you sat back and into position as you did on the first rep, you stayed there for a little too long, losing a little bit of the focus and tightness and then hips shot up when you started the pull. What I suggest is resetting and sitting back like you did on the first rep, each rep, to get better at it. Also, when you sit back into position, use that momentum of coming back to feel the weight being pulled into your hammies and glutes, be tight, and then pull. Don't wait too long between getting into position and pulling. Btw, this is all seperate from whatever hip height you prefer to pull from.

Anyway, it's always hard to give any advice over the internet besides the very basic things. The reason is, how the deadlift works for you isn't necessarily the same as for me. There's how it looks, how the cues you're given effects you specificly and how it FEELS to you. While some things can be considered generally good advice, like bracing, getting into good position, tight lats and such, many things simply differ slightly from person to person. Just look at variations in the way many strong people deadlift.

You made a good point. It's about being sensible, but it's also about doing what works for YOU. Keep losing weight, stay healthy and have fun.

PS, rethink buying good, firm, flat shoes. It might surprise you.

Wow... that was amazing. I'm still not sure what set him off.
Its not the first time, he had some threads in f11 a few years back with a similar outcome to this thread

You compete in MMA and you don't have a pair of wrestling shoes?

Seriously though, the guys here want to help you, and want to see you get stronger.

It's pretty hard to do a critique video on a touch and go set of 5. Upload a video of a max effort deadlift, and we will see exactly where your form breaks down.

Why would I? Wrestling shoes throw off MMA wrestling, the grip the shoes provide both in movement and to opponents grabbing legs. I can limp leg out of singles with no shoes on, with shoes its almost impossible. So if I'm competing in MMA, why would I were them?

Why would I? Wrestling shoes throw off MMA wrestling, the grip the shoes provide both in movement and to opponents grabbing legs. I can limp leg out of singles with no shoes on, with shoes its almost impossible. So if I'm competing in MMA, why would I were them?
You do understand training =/= fighting right? You don't always train in the exact same way you compete. Wearing headgear while training is going to give you handicap as well, but it's also going to keep you fresh and not acquire as much damage leading up to a fight.

I don't wear wrestling shoes when I'm training BJJ, but I do wear wrestling shoes when I'm sparring just boxing. It prevents me from breaking toes.

The issue with a longer ROM is that its a concern only to powrlifters . There's a benefit to using longer ranges of motion for general strength purposes.

Also, I pull Sumo in Romaleos and almost hit 3x body weight.

To critique your video:

Add more weight.

To be fair, it depends on the gym. We don't have a strong wrestling presence here, so wrestling shoes in practice for MMA or striking practice is unheard of; This is actually my first time hearing it.

To be fair, it depends on the gym. We don't have a strong wrestling presence here, so wrestling shoes in practice for MMA or striking practice is unheard of; This is actually my first time hearing it.
Ño one uses wrestling shoes at my MMA gym either, nor boxing shoes. Always barefeet.

Ño one uses wrestling shoes at my MMA gym either, nor boxing shoes. Always barefeet.
Its always been barefoot here as well; The closest thing to footwear that I've seen, is an ankle support, and nearly all of the people that wear it are posers that don't really need it.

Back