Critique My Deadlift Form Please

I live in the midwest. Very few people compete in MMA that haven't wrestled. Every boxing gym uses wrestling shoes too, because they're cheaper than boxing boots.

Someone gave OP the exact same advice 3 years ago when he posted a DL form check.

So...3 years later, still making the same mistakes, still pulling 275x5 with straps, still the same shitty attitude.

Someone gave OP the exact same advice 3 years ago when he posted a DL form check.

So...3 years later, still making the same mistakes, still pulling 275x5 with straps, still the same shitty attitude.

Actually It wasn't. The advice I remember was that I was pulling the weight up with my back and not using my legs enough. Yeah, honestly I've been stalled for a long time in terms of fitness. Like I said before I'd come online, and get discouraged by because I was told I was doing everything wrong, get mocked then give up because Id over think it and be frustrated.

Not this time. Still havn't received a good reason why not to wear WL shoes. The reason people troll me is because I don't get down on my knees and worship them.

So I'm going to keep doing my thing. Do what feels right for me. Although I may have a tendency to be fat and lazy. Id much rather that then be a king of bullies.

Once again, for those that gave good advice thank you. I understand WL shoes may be unconventional. However they feel good to me and I like them. If you don't like them, don't wear them. Whats best for you isn't best for everyone.

To the rest. Suck a cock.

I'll have one more post after this. In a few months.

Actually It wasn't. The advice I remember was that I was pulling the weight up with my back and not using my legs enough. Yeah, honestly I've been stalled for a long time in terms of fitness. Like I said before I'd come online, and get discouraged by because I was told I was doing everything wrong, get mocked then give up because Id over think it and be frustrated.

So I'm going to keep doing my thing. Do what feels right for me. Although I may have a tendency to be fat and lazy. Id much rather that then be a king of bullies.

To the rest. Suck a cock.

I'll have one more post after this. In a few months.

"Yeah, honestly I've been stalled for a long time in terms of fitness."

Weird, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your shitty-as-fuck attitude.

"I'd come online, and get discouraged by because I was told I was doing everything wrong, get mocked..."

Yup, that's exactly what happened here.

"So I'm going to keep doing my thing. Do what feels right for me."

Yeah, it's clearly been working out really well.

You'd probably deadlift more if you were somehow able to remove that massive chip from your shoulder.

Clarence Kennedy deadlifts 750 in weightlifting shoes

You'd probably deadlift more if you were somehow able to remove that massive chip from your shoulder.

Limited strength improvement due to shoulder impingement related to chipititis is a big issue these days.

Clarence Kennedy deadlifts 750 in weightlifting shoes

Clarence is also a weightlifter. OP is not Clarence, etc.

Koklyaev has pulled high 800s with Oly shoes on.

I'm sure most really good Olympic weightlifters have big deadlifts and pull in weightlifting shoes. OP isn't them.

They're part of it but, as this thread has shown us, they're definitely not the biggest issue this dude has.

I agree. I mentioned before that I've tried the Oly shoe DL (only because I was too lazy to change them) and it didn't work well for me.

Clarence is also a weightlifter. OP is not Clarence, etc.

Koklyaev has pulled high 800s with Oly shoes on.

I'm sure most really good Olympic weightlifters have big deadlifts and pull in weightlifting shoes. OP isn't them.

Once again this sort of points out the challenge of being exposed to a lot of information and to other peoples' firsthand experience. We immediately want their results and so we do what they do without focusing on what's important with any skill in life. Basics first and often and forever.

I googled "top powerlifters deadlift in oly shoes" and got nothing except noob lifting bros on bb.com etc asking if they should do it.

And op, you should take Jim up on his offer to coach you irl. You are incredibly weak for 3 years of lifting, it would be a great opportunity for you to get some solid advice and improve.

And op, you should take Jim up on his offer to coach you irl. You are incredibly weak for 3 years of lifting, it would be a great opportunity for you to get some solid advice and improve.

With his attitude? Absolutely never haha.

That offer came off the table a couple pages ago.

See op? You had a chance to train for free with a 600+(?) deadlifter and your shit attitude ruined that opportunity.

See op? You had a chance to train for free with a 600+(?) deadlifter and your shit attitude ruined that opportunity.

I've done 685x1 and 665x2. Not amazing for a guy my size, but I'd like to think I know a little bit about picking stuff up.

Don't worry OP. I'm a 565x1 deadlifter, I will help you achieve mediocrity.

WL shoes cause your knees to come out more when in the bottom position of both the squat and deadlift. In order to compensate for this, an individual has to begin straightening the knees early, causing the person to rely on completing the lift in a more straight-legged position. If the knees don't bend early, the athlete must lean forward even more and/or start with the bar further away from the body in order to get around the knees.

This causes the deadlift to look more like a Romanian or Straight-Leg deadlift, and less like an actual deadlift. This is exactly what your deadlift looked like, OP. I used to deadlift the exact same way and I don't anymore. You'll get more out of your deadlift without the shoes, because it will allow you to sit back more, pull the bar towards you right from the start, get your weight behind the bar, and use leverage to your advantage. Fixing this will distribute the strain more evenly between the low back, glutes, hams, and quads. This also reduces the likelihood of injury in the long run.

Check out this video from Brian Shaw breaking down Ben Smith's deadlifting form. He talks about deadlift setup from about 2:30 onward. Compare this to your own lifts and make notes. You'll see that some of the problems he fixes in Ben's setup is similar to your own (e.g. shoulders too far forward, bad shin angle).

TBH I think training in WL shoes, unless you're a weightlifter, is essentially pointless and might even be detrimental - and I come from a WL background and used to lift in those shoes all the time. The shoes help lifters maintain a more upright position in the bottom of the snatch and clean - otherwise they don't add much. So just keep that in mind. Your sport is flat footed. Train flat footed whenever possible.

Last edited:

Pretty sure he got mad 3 years ago too.

Pretty sure he got mad 3 years ago too.

Of course he did.

I don't even get it when someone says they can't afford Chucks. Put $15/week away for 3-4 weeks in a row and you now have Chucks. Magic.

Back