Could Guy Mezger hang with today's middleweights or welterweights?

Would this mean Guy going down to 185 or 170 because i dont see that happening

Really not a chance. The sport has evolved way too much.

He would beat any fighter on the face of the planet for 5 minutes then find a way to somehow get embarrassed or get ripped off in a decision. That's the story of his career much love to the homie he was excellent in his day.

If Tito would've stood with him, he'd knock him out like Chuck did.

Speaking for myself I found Guy to be quite entertaining in fights and seemed pretty well rounded for his day.

I think in modern day he would be competitive but it's all subjective.

Are we transplanting him in his prime to right now or taking him as a younger guy and watching his career start and progress?

Another interesting question was how the rubber match vs Tito would've gone, he did seem to progress more during his pride run, too bad he had the stroke and we had to see a fat Cote in there instead

The only guy from the old school, I feel comfortable saying could hang with today's fighters is Young Vitor..

EAeEIhD.jpg

All natty too!
Is he on steroid there?

Yeah, but he probably couldn't finish them, and would lose a split decision.
Getting serious deja vu about his career watching Masvidal's last few years.
Killer with no killer instinct, but pretty much had everything else going for him.

Criminally underrated fighter. He also gave Chuck and Wand really hard fights in Pride. He was easily the best fighter in the Lions Den for a significant period of time.

Agreed 100%, and I thought he got robbed in both the Arona and Lil Nog fights, and that was obvious at a time when those guys were top LHWs, especially Arona.

Hahahah hell no.

When he fought Liddel in pride he was carried out on a stretcher.

Agreed 100%, and I thought he got robbed in both the Arona and Lil Nog fights, and that was obvious at a time when those guys were top LHWs, especially Arona.
Agreed. It's been a long time since I've watched either fight. I remember the Nog fight being close but the Arona fight being a straight up robbery.

Mezger and Ninja Rua should get together and talk about how different their careers would have turned out if they hadn't been robbed of their biggest wins.

Kind of like a young overeem. Would put up a good effort and every fight would seem to be in his favor for a while, but then you could count on him to fuck it up.

I liked the guy but let's be honest, he lost to all the top guys. Without a bunch of Japanese cans PRIDE had, I can't see him winning today.

Back