Could Guy Mezger hang with today's middleweights or welterweights?

Clueless u are.

Or u didnt watch the fight.

1st 5 mns : Saku completely dominated Guy, mainly with head-kicks (Bas & Quadros were a lil bit biased in their commentaries, sayin´ they were [partially] blocked...)

then: 4-5 mns where Saku tried his single-leg take-down, didnt really get it but put Guy on the defensive

Obs: Guy didnt even counter these TD attempts with punches on the ground. Hence, technically, Guy couldnt be the winner of these 4-5 mns

Last 5mns: Guy completely dominated Saku with jabs.
I've seen the fight and Mezger outpointed him

And your subjective opinion has zero credibility since you can't even acknowledge the inherent shadiness of ripping up the contracted fight terms to add a winner-take-all overtime on the fly

I've seen the fight and Mezger outpointed him

And your subjective opinion has zero credibility since you can't even acknowledge the inherent shadiness of ripping up the contracted fight terms to add a winner-take-all overtime on the fly
Not talking about the overtime.

Guy in his prime, puta time machine and transported to today would do alright but not be a contender.

Young Guy, coming up and learning today's techniques and methods from someone like Duke Rufus or Firas Zahab would end a contender though.

What was he like 20 years old in that pic? Unbelievable. I remember watching him fight early on & thinking he was perhaps the best fighter I have ever seen. I was shocked when Couture beat him.
"The Natural" was, I'd wager, never all that natural.

The only guys not juicing in that era were the ones getting KTFO in local shows who couldn't afford decent gear on burger flipping salary. Prob still true today...

Mezger? Prob not enough chin and not well rounded enough by today's standards.

Not talking about the overtime.
Look, even by your own analysis, Guy won the 15 min regulation period:

then: 4-5 mns where Saku tried his single-leg take-down, didnt really get it but put Guy on the defensive

Obs: Guy didnt even counter these TD attempts with punches on the ground. Hence, technically, Guy couldnt be the winner of these 4-5 mns

Last 5mns: Guy completely dominated Saku with jabs.

Completely dominating the final 5 min of the 15 min fight was enough to win decisions based on the way fights were judged in Pride, especially when Mezger had the slight edge in the 5 mins before that

Look, even by your own analysis, Guy won the 15 regulation period:

Completely dominating the last third of the fight was enough to win decisions based on the way fights were judged in Pride, especially with another third of the fight spent with Mezger having a slight edge
I didnt say Guy couldnt be considered the winner, I said it was a tough fight to score, no robbery.

I didnt say Guy couldnt be considered the winner, I said it was a tough fight to score, no robbery.
You said the weirdness of the fight is a myth. The weirdness was them adding a last-second overtime out of nowhere when the fight contract specifically said one 15 min round

Idiot, I already wrote about it.
Very good sir. I honestly missed that post like a moron, but your analysis is clearly biased for some reason.

The first 5 minutes was like Holly Holm whiffing at air constantly, and Saku isn't even a striker. Guy dictated the pace and place and actually landed on Kazushi.

Then Saku desperately held onto that failed single for an eternity, just to look like a little brother getting punked by an older brother.

Guy finished MUCH stronger than Saku and again... DICTATED THE ENTIRE FIGHT.

Nice try though...

You said the weirdness of the fight is a myth. The weirdness was them adding a last-second overtime out of nowhere when the fight contract specifically said one 15 min round
U´re clueless as I said.

It was a fight on short notice for Guy (who was injured... foot), that´s why it was a "one 15 min round".

But it was a high stakes fight, since it was the Pride Grand Prix 2000 Opening Round, hence they had to declare a winner.

Saku technically dominated 2/3 of the fight, Guy the last 1/3 of the fight.

+ IIRC: the weight dif btw the 2 could have had an influence in the judges´ decision.

Tough fight to score.

Last edited:
Mezger is a doctor, now and he don’t need your approval.

Very good sir. I honestly missed that post like a moron, but your analysis is clearly biased for some reason.

The first 5 minutes was like Holly Holm whiffing at air constantly, and Saku isn't even a striker. Guy dictated the pace and place and actually landed on Kazushi.

Then Saku desperately held onto that failed single for an eternity, just to look like a little brother getting punked by an older brother.

Guy finished MUCH stronger than Saku and again... DICTATED THE ENTIRE FIGHT.

Nice try though...
Laughable.

U´re clueless as I said.

It was a fight on short notice for Guy, that´s why it was a "one 15 min round".

But it was a high stakes fight, since it was the Pride Grand Prix 2000 Opening Round, hence they had to declare a winner.

Saku technically dominated 2/3 of the fight, Guy the last 1/3 of the fight.

Tough fight to score.
Who cares why the terms stated one 15 min round. Those were the terms (they were also the terms of every other fight that night). To wait until the fight is over then add a winner-take-all overtime is ridiculous. Afaik there's never been a single Pride tourny fight other than this one that went to an overtime period lol

probably out handsomes any current 185er except Rockhold.

"The Natural" was, I'd wager, never all that natural.

The only guys not juicing in that era were the ones getting KTFO in local shows who couldn't afford decent gear on burger flipping salary. Prob still true today...

Mezger? Prob not enough chin and not well rounded enough by today's standards.
My brother used to date Randy's ex a few years ago, and she said that Randy juiced from the beginning.

Of course I had to withhold this knowledge from Sherdog until it became cool to call people juice monkeys around here!

Who cares why the terms stated one 15 min round. Those were the terms (they were also the terms of every other fight that night). To wait until the fight is over then add a winner-take-all overtime is ridiculous. Afaik there's never been a single Pride tourny fight other than this one that went to an overtime period lol
U dont care coz u didnt know about it coz u´re clueless.

U dont care coz u didnt know about it coz u´re clueless.
Derp

I know you have a hardon for Saku but this is probably the single biggest incident in Pride history that besmirches the org and gives greatest ammunition to Zuffa zombies. Congrats

Back