Could Guy Mezger hang with today's middleweights or welterweights?

Guy Mezger is one of the most underrated fighters in MMA history.

Derp

I know you have a hardon for Saku but this is probably the single biggest incident in Pride history that besmirches the org and gives greatest ammunition to Zuffa zombies. Congrats
Idiot.

Pride aka Takada destroyed Saku´s career for multiple reasons. Even idiots like Aerobic Trainer acknowledged it.

If u check it, Japanese fighters in Pride would more often than not lose decisions to foreigners.

Moreover, I didnt say Saku won, I said it was a tough fight to score

No. He could barely hang with the guys of his own era.

Idiot.

Pride aka Takada destroyed Saku´s career for multiple reasons. Even idiots like Aerobic Trainer acknowledged it.

If u check it, Japanese fighters in Pride would more often than not lose decisions to foreigners.

Moreover, I didnt say Saku won, I said it was a tough fight to score
{<huh}

Derp

I know you have a hardon for Saku but this is probably the single biggest incident in Pride history that besmirches the org and gives greatest ammunition to Zuffa zombies. Congrats
What about how they fucked over Vitor in his fight with Saku? Those last minute weight cutting stipulations were regular old PrideFC favoritism at it's finest.

Mezger is a doctor, now and he don’t need your approval.

You mean "Doctor" in as he has a PhD in "holistic health" which is the same degree that most A-level nutritionist and massage therapist have.

You mean "Doctor" in as he has a PhD in "holistic health" which is the same degree that most A-level nutritionist and massage therapist have.

Well, I’m glad someone is paying attention… lil “d” is apt…

Eh, I'd put him in the category of pioneer. Not really HOF'er.
Hmmm... he´s from the 2nd (or even 3rd...) generation of "modern" MMA/NHB fighters. "Pioneer" would be a reach imo...

He put together a scrappy win over a young Tito ortiz. He also had two close split decision losses to Rogerio Nogueira and Arona. Between those and the weirdness of that Sakuraba match, he really didn't seem to be treated fairly by Pride.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET THAT HE WAS A PANCRASE TOURNAMENT CHAMPION.

Tito%2BOrtiz%2Bvs%2BGuy%2BMezger.jpg

Mezger couldn't even hang with Jason Thacker.

timeline_thacker.png

U´re clueless as I said.

It was a fight on short notice for Guy (who was injured... foot), that´s why it was a "one 15 min round".

But it was a high stakes fight, since it was the Pride Grand Prix 2000 Opening Round, hence they had to declare a winner.

Saku technically dominated 2/3 of the fight, Guy the last 1/3 of the fight.

+ IIRC: the weight dif btw the 2 could have had an influence in the judges´ decision.

Tough fight to score.
They actually didn't score it at all. Like you said, Guy took the fight late with an injured foot and agreed on the stipulation that it was only one round. The fight was close enough that they decided on the spot that an overtime was needed, hence Ken Shamrock going ballistic and causing the scene he did. Ken was/is a bonfide nutcase but this was an example of him actually stepping up and doing the right thing for his fighter. Basically the Lions Den said fuck this and walked after the agreed upon match and Saku basically got the win via forfeit.

This is my understanding anyways. I agree it was a razor close fight and it would have been nice to see a 2nd round. If Guy pulled off the W, which he was certainly capable of, it would have been big for his career.

When he was young he was durable and well rounded. I'd say he'd do well.

Probably. Now are we talking he gets to train with todays methods and partners or are we talking an unfair advantage to the newer guys? He def had the heart and ability's.

Pretty solid fighter in his era with a decently well-rounded skillset. Definitely was pretty durable. I think he'd have an opportunity to fare well with modern training.

I was there live for the first fight vs Tito. My friends dad won tickets on the radio.

Back