Cotto or Shane, who do you rate higher AT?

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Title is self-explanatory

I think I edge Cotto by a bit, I'd say he was a bit more consistent, but pretty debatable either way

if cotto fights as many fights as shane has, he will probably lose just as many. in their prime shane beats him imo. right now it seems cotto has the better record, but again....ask this again after cotto fights a few more.

Shane is wildly over rated. ONE close but solid win over oscar and one close controversial win over oscar does not an all time great make. Especially not when you lose to everyone else of note you ever fought.

Nah man...Just look at a past his prime but re-surging Shane against Cotto (prime) in their fight and that'll tell you who the better guy was.

Last edited:
Shane is wildly over rated. ONE close but solid win over oscar and one close controversial win over oscar does not an all time great make. Especially not when you lose to everyone else of note you ever fought.

Kind of like losing to Margarito, Floyd, Manny, Canelo, Trout? It isn't like Cotto beat all of the top dogs he faught.

Both records are about even IMO. Mosley killing Margarito is on par with the Martinez win. The Oscar wins are better than any of Cotto's wins.

Decent comparison, Shane looked a million dollars until Forrest, as did Miguel before Tony.
I'll l go with Cotto as Tony is a cheating cunt.

I have to go with Shane but Coto is very close

Sugar Shane edges it.

Shane is probably Cotto's best win but Shane has Tony, Vargas and Oscar on his resume. I think those are better than Cotto's best wins. All pretty good versions of those guys too. He dominated the lightweight division. Cotto never really dominated a division.

Kind of like losing to Margarito, Floyd, Manny, Canelo, Trout? It isn't like Cotto beat all of the top dogs he faught.

Both records are about even IMO. Mosley killing Margarito is on par with the Martinez win. The Oscar wins are better than any of Cotto's wins.

They have very comparable careers. I give Cotto the edge because he won the head-to-head matchup. I feel like that is a good tie breaker to use.

They have very comparable careers. I give Cotto the edge because he won the head-to-head matchup. I feel like that is a good tie breaker to use.

Yea, I don't disagree with that all the way. I just feel Shane's prime was 10 years before that and prob should have retired after the Winky fights. Where as that was when Cotto just hit his stride, and it was still really close. But SSM did go on the destroy Marg, so w/e.

Shane was also busted for PEDs, where Cotto has not been, so that can be a factor also.

Id give it to Shane but Cotto was robbed of an illustrious career after the Marg fight

Cmon man, beating a one legged n weight drained Sergio Martinez doesn't equal beating the piss out of an in prime Margarito.

Cmon man, beating a one legged n weight drained Sergio Martinez doesn't equal beating the piss out of an in prime Margarito.

saying one legged and weight drained is subjective, just like saying prime Margarito. Maybe his prime was when he was cheating and getting away with it. Plus just the anxiety of that all going down. I dunno, lots of factors in both. Both were absolute destructions, for both guys.

Yea, I don't disagree with that all the way. I just feel Shane's prime was 10 years before that and prob should have retired after the Winky fights. Where as that was when Cotto just hit his stride, and it was still really close. But SSM did go on the destroy Marg, so w/e.

Shane was also busted for PEDs, where Cotto has not been, so that can be a factor also.

Yeah it's not hard to make the argument that Shane belongs above Cotto, it's close enough that it's justifiable either way in my opinion. I just like the finality of saying, "Well they fought and settled it," as long as they were both reasonably prime (which is also debatable).

saying one legged and weight drained is subjective, just like saying prime Margarito. Maybe his prime was when he was cheating and getting away with it. Plus just the anxiety of that all going down. I dunno, lots of factors in both. Both were absolute destructions, for both guys.

I didn't think Margarito looked like himself against Mosley. He fought like a guy who was just caught cheating backstage and knew his entire career was in jeopardy.

Yeah it's not hard to make the argument that Shane belongs above Cotto, it's close enough that it's justifiable either way in my opinion. I just like the finality of saying, "Well they fought and settled it," as long as they were both reasonably prime (which is also debatable).

I didn't think Margarito looked like himself against Mosley. He fought like a guy who was just caught cheating backstage and knew his entire career was in jeopardy.

I def get you on the first point, and 100% agree on the second.

I feel Margarito's style relied 100% on him being relaxed, which helped him absorb blows and keep up such a high/even paced work rate, That night he was all sorts of tense, awkward, and just couldn't "let go"

Very close, but I would give the edge to Mosely. I think he had the best championship run (at 135) of either of them and the best signature win--the victory over ODLH the first time which was basically a fight to determine the #1 p4p fighter in the world.

Sugar Shane edges it.

Shane is probably Cotto's best win but Shane has Tony, Vargas and Oscar on his resume. I think those are better than Cotto's best wins. All pretty good versions of those guys too. He dominated the lightweight division. Cotto never really dominated a division.
I'm not sure I'd say Shane dominated LW. He was probably the best in the division, but he never fought Johnston or Nazarov, who were pretty significant players. Shane's LW competition was actually pretty weak, though, granted, he looked pretty untouchable at the time.

Cotto defended the lineal MW belt. That's one more weight class championship than Mosely.

Cotto beat the same bersion of Margarito that shane did so thats out of the equasion. It is common knowledge he was cheating before.
Furthermore, shane lost two rematches attempting to avenge losses in both times.

Cotto beat the same bersion of Margarito that shane did so thats out of the equasion. It is common knowledge he was cheating before.
Furthermore, shane lost two rematches attempting to avenge losses in both times.

False. Cotto beat Margaret after Mosley beat him and Pac put his career in the grave.

Cotto got a TKO due to Marg not being able to see out of the eye Pac destroyed. He was getting to Cotto late, and wasn't really hurt, outside the eye.

Completely stupid to say it is the same Marg, let alone prime Marg.

Back