Coolest Monkey in the Jungle.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on man, they have a black kid modeling the shirt too. They should've been aware of the historical reasons why comparing black people to monkeys is a sensitive topic.

I'm pretty much black this is stupid fake outrage and people need to move on.

Nobody really cares about the history of a shitty "comparison" some racist idiots did. It's time to move and grow past words.

Letting obsolete views stump harmony and evolution of mankind is ridiculous.

Huh? This thread exists because people do care and they complained about it to the company which responded by removing the item entirely. If we were talking about a comedy sketch that's one thing but this is an ad, its not supposed to get this kind of reaction and that it did shows fault on the part of the marketing team.

Well, maybe you’re a more fashionable father than me.

Honestly, not a fashion thing. I just worry about the unkind people who would use it as an opportunity for derogatory language. But the hoodie itself or the ad itself, I don't find either offensive although I recognize that it's definitely poor taste for an American audience.

Honestly, not a fashion thing. I just worry about the unkind people who would use it as an opportunity for derogatory language.

Huh? How and why would someone do that? Are you and/or your son “people of colour”? How old is your son?

I’m white and my son is only two years old, so I don’t think anyone would make derogatory comments if they saw him wearing it.

Honestly, not a fashion thing. I just worry about the unkind people who would use it as an opportunity for derogatory language. But the hoodie itself or the ad itself, I don't find either offensive although I recognize that it's definitely poor taste for an American audience.

It wasn't for an American audience though. It was on the UK's version of the website only. And H&M is a Swedish company, I can imagine them naively believing that we live in a post-racial world and the race of the model for a cute child's hoodie should be irrelevant, or not even noticing it. The poor fuckers just don't realize how sensitive and ridiculous Americans are on these subjects.

Huh? How and why would someone do that? Are you and/or your son “people of colour”? How old is your son?

I’m white and my son is only two years old, so I don’t think anyone would make derogatory comments if they saw him wearing it.

Yes, we're people of color. And yes, we've had "experiences". So I err on the side of caution.

It wasn't for an American audience though. It was on the UK's version of the website only. And H&M is a Swedish company, I can imagine them naively believing that we live in a post-racial world and the race of the model for a cute child's hoodie should be irrelevant, or not even noticing it. The poor fuckers just don't realize how sensitive and ridiculous Americans are on these subjects.

Sure but Americans aren't ridiculous on this subject. America has its history and its own responses. I haven't followed this story in any depth so I don't know where the outrage started. Honestly, I don't really care. I saw the news article a few days before it showed up here and I didn't care then.

Yes, we're people of color. And yes, we've had "experiences". So I err on the side of caution.

Ok, well that’s pretty much exactly what I was suggesting in my first post then: that I could see POC not wanting to put this on their kids, but that doesn’t mean they have to pull them from the shelves completely because privileged mother fuckers like me don’t have to worry about that issue.

It's a subjective matter firstly, I don't think that advertisement was inherently racist. It simply used a black model to advertise one of their products. It was not suggesting blacks were "monkeys" in any way whatsoever.

Really? Are blacks still slaves? Do they not share the same rights as whites? And furthermore, are blacks not guilty themselves of perpetuating racism? The race card shtick only goes so far.

Your one sided approach to this whole ordeal is disingenuous.

How do you know this was not intentional??

I guess its a really sensitive issue that ought to be avoided.

I grew up in a country where comedians still do blackface so i dont really give much of a crap.

I'm far from a PC-heavy SJW but this is just mental. Someone with a reasonable level of education and a lot of on-the-job experience if not academic qualifications in marketing/promotions etc has looked at this black kid in that top and said 'yeah.....that's not gonna cause any kind of backlash or endanger my future with the company'.

I don't care what the shirt say, kid is still not cool as this guy

/thread

I'm pretty much black this is stupid fake outrage and people need to move on.

No this is actual outrage, and people have been pretty consistent on thi's kind of thing for a long time.

You may not agree with their opinions, but this has always sparked am outcry.

Let's put this in perspective.

R6aZBzN.jpg

Shit sucks.

No this is actual outrage, and people have been pretty consistent on thi's kind of thing for a long time.

You may not agree with their opinions, but this has always sparked am outcry.

After finding out this was in sweden\UK this is pretty much a non-issue now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back