Coolest Monkey in the Jungle.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
they should have known better, but people getting angry over it should chill the F out. though, i question how many are truly angry or give a shit at all.

Come on man, they have a black kid modeling the shirt too. They should've been aware of the historical reasons why comparing black people to monkeys is a sensitive topic.
Some people don’t think in terms of race all day.

Whoever in their marketing department OK'd that is a moron. But yea getting pissed off over this is stupid.

they should have known better, but people getting angry over it should chill the F out. though, i question how many are truly angry or give a shit at all.
Yeah.
The thing with social media and the internet is that a bunch of people being outraged about something, gets promoted by their ideological enemies as emblematic. If the comments by the outraged persons actually was emblematic of a wider issue, it isn't wrong to bring attention, but such social media outrage isn't necessarily emblematic of a wider social feeling.

Sure that's fair for your average person but if you're part of a marketing team maybe you should consider how your ads might be interpreted by people. Obviously the people behind this ad didn't do that, or enough of it at least.

Yeah.
The thing with social media and the internet is that a bunch of people being outraged about something, gets promoted by their ideological enemies as emblematic. If the comments by the outraged persons actually was emblematic of a wider issue, it isn't wrong to bring attention, but such social media outrage isn't necessarily emblematic of a wider social feeling.

exactly, and i have to catch myself sometimes falling victim to this idea.

and i think often times, a site will literally fabricate the outrage, rather than just exaggerate it.

aeGAZbW_700b.jpg

I prefer a world where a black kid being called a monkey means fuck-all because they're not a monkey, but whoever ok'd that in 2018 with the way things are is just about the dumbest motherfucker alive.

How about a t-shirt that says "Sexual Assault me if you want, just make me famous!" on a 12 year old girl too? Idiots.

I prefer a world where a black kid being called a monkey means fuck-all because they're not a monkey, but whoever ok'd that in 2018 with the way things are is just about the dumbest motherfucker alive.

How about a t-shirt that says "Sexual Assault me if you want, just make me famous!" on a 12 year old girl too? Idiots.
Yeah it'd be nice if we could move past it. When I see a big beefy dude, whether its Brock Lesnar or Bob Sapp, the gorilla comparison comes to mind but its a lot more controversial in the case of the latter than the former even though from my perspective the comparison is made for the same reason.

It's one of those situations where the "outrage" just perpetuates the association. The people who claim to be color blind are often the ones who don't behave that way.

Would it be unaccepable for Forrest Griffin to wear that hoody, considering he genuinely does look like a monkey?

forrest-griffin-ufc-fight-night-37.jpg

img

It's one of those situations where the "outrage" just perpetuates the association. The people who claim to be color blind are often the ones who don't behave that way.

Would it be unaccepable for Forrest Griffin to wear that hoody, considering he genuinely does look like a monkey?

forrest-griffin-ufc-fight-night-37.jpg

img
Democrats carried signs of bush as a monkey

Yeah it'd be nice if we could move past it. When I see a big beefy dude, whether its Brock Lesnar or Bob Sapp, the gorilla comparison comes to mind but its a lot more controversial in the case of the latter than the former even though from my perspective the comparison is made for the same reason.

First thing I thought of when I read the sweater was "oh for kids who climb all over shit" then remembered skin color, "outrage" and the internet were still things.

why cant i upload a file in the war room ?

I wonder if there will ever be a professional sports team with name Chimpanzee?
I would NOT support, BTW.

First thing I thought of when I read the sweater was "oh for kids who climb all over shit" then remembered skin color, "outrage" and the internet were still things.
I've often seen monkey used as an affectionate term for young kids but I think where this company went wrong was using a black kid to model the sweater. If it was a white kid or just a mannequin that might've drawn less attention.

img_7222.jpg
wheres your head at mr marketing man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back