CONTRA NES Video Game Review

played the hell out of contra and lifeforce.

contra was a lot easier for me. I was able to beat the game without dying but the code definitely helped me master the game. I was trying my damnest to finish the game with 37 lives (usually finish with 36 without dying). I don't recall doing it once.

lifeforce was a different story. with 3 lives, i think i could only get close to the halfway point or a bit past that. needed the code to beat this game.

hardest NES game i finished was ninja gaiden... love that game but that last level was infuriating to beat...

hardest NES games i never beat were bayou billy, battletoads, and Ghost n Goblins. These fukkin' games...

Last edited:
Back in my day you have learn about cheat codes through the underground railroad. Now people just youtube how to beat something.

LMAO that's insane. Yeah, kids nowadays just don't know. Nothing like playing a game for 4-5 hours to lose EVERY BIT OF IT when you die. NES was true hardcore for most games.

I can say though, I probably wouldn't game if they stayed that way over time. I have gotten quite jaded myself, and like to have low consequences when it comes to dying and having to replay tons of content over and over.

I take it easy now too, but that's because I'm not really looking for a challenge when I play games. It's more a time to relax, and think about something else.

Most frustrating game I can remember trying to beat was Kid Chameleon on Sega Genesis. Holy shit that game is tough (but fun). Never beat it and only finally saw the ending a few years ago on Youtube. Imagine if a developer made a game today that a lot of people simply couldn't beat. The tears would be delicious.

Back in my day you have learn about cheat codes through the underground railroad. Now people just youtube how to beat something.

I called the Nintendo hotline once for something, can't remember what it was (maybe Fester's Quest?), and my mom flipped on when she got the phone bill. They were charging like $5 a minute or some ludicrous shit like that.

Nintendo Hotline, Nintendo Power, Game Genie.... All that stuff led us to the interwebz, now it's all at everyones fingertips. So EZ now.

if you can beat that game w/o the famous Konami code (same goes for Lifeforce, btw), you are fucking legend and deserve as much props as possible.

I've done it. Loved that game.

Once you've been through the game enough, get (S)pread early on and just crush thru it.

Battletoads btw, I think I read was a broken game (unbeatable). I don't think I ever got close anyway.

Last edited:
Lifeforce and Gradius were some fun ass shooters.
There was a movie called Lifeforce that I rented when I was a kid because I thought it was based on the game. Turns out the entire movie is about some superhot alien chick with big tits who walks around naked the entire film.

I wish I knew that before I watched it with my mom.

There was a movie called Lifeforce that I rented when I was a kid because I thought it was based on the game. Turns out the entire movie is about some superhot alien chick with big tits who walks around naked the entire film.

Gotta hate those early year uncomfortable jr. Chubbies while watching something seductive with the 'rents.

Gotta hate those early year uncomfortable jr. Chubbies while watching something seductive with the 'rents.
Van Damme movies were the worst in that regard. On the surface, they looked like action films for the kids, but there was always some fucking scene with titties that made it super uncomfortable. I vividly remember having to fight off a Mia Sara induced boner from Timecop because my dad and stepmom were sitting right next to me.

I
lifeforce was even harder. The code also worked for TMNT the video game i believe, another hard ass game.

Games didn't play back then, remember the latter stages of the GOAT Ninja Gaiden???

HOLY SHIT

TMNT arcade game for NES was actually:

Up, right right, down down down, left left left left, A, B start

I've done it. Loved that game.

Once you've been through the game enough, get (S)pread early on and just crush thru it.

Battletoads btw, I think I read was a broken game (unbeatable). I don't think I ever got close anyway.

It was definitely beatable, but not with 2 players because of a glitch.

Don't need to do b,a,b,a, can just do b,a, start.

You can also do b,a, select, select, start.

I've gotten really far on Battletoads without cheating, but haven't beat it without an emulator.

You were the king of the playground if you got Nintendo Power or Game Pro

if you can beat that game w/o the famous Konami code (same goes for Lifeforce, btw), you are fucking legend and deserve as much props as possible.
We used to start with the lives and finish with close to thirty. Didn't do speed runs because we wanted all the points. Shit gets real. Tmnt was fucking impossible. DAT seaweed level was brutal

It's sad really. Our culture has become so risk adverse that kids don't know how to deal with failure. So now developers design games so that you can't lose. I collect SNES games, and I've had my 6 year old nephew play quite a few, and his little mind can't even comprehend the idea of failing and having to start over. He just gets frustrated and quits right away.
I think this is a misconception when it comes to old games. Even old games that took a long time to beat would give infinite lives. Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. are just like the games of today. It's no problem starting over on an hour long game, but that shit would be infuriating to have start over 30 hours deep into a 60 hour game.

better. that video was crap

yeah, Irate gamer video...
l2sJi.gif

Little internet drama for those who don't know:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/the-irate-gamer
Full drama on encyclopediadramatica entry about him (might be nsfw so no link)

I watched the review and the guy said to avoid picking up the lazer? That and spreads were the best upgrades. Of coarse the Lazer doesn't work if you mash it like an idiot, but if you let it fly across the screen it would kill everything.

Since we're in the spirit of side scrollers I just ran across this game on my X1 (It's on steam as well) It's an Indie game called Volgarr The Viking. The review I watched said it plays like the old arcade game Rastan. It's only $10, so I think I'm going to download it.

Here's Rastan in case you don't remember it.

Back