Considering giving up the sport

Isn't there anything besides martial arts and training that you like to do?

I would go do that for a while and let your body/mind heal.

Your issues might be mitigated with some time off and corrective action. Just be PATIENT imo.

Get a second opinion if you are going under the knife for a nerve thing.

First i would like to apologize if i turn into a mess writing this

I've been training MMA since 2013, had a couple of fights where i live and lost my last fight 3 months back to a submission

But i didn't give up and kept training and about 2 months ago i started getting terrible shoulder and neck pains.

One month later i started getting shooting head pains, which when i do, i get completely disconnected from reality and dizzy. And my limbs go numb, i lose control of my face.

Thanks to my parents i can afford the best healthcare and i consulted a neurologist, apparently I'm suffering from nerve damage and while i was talking to him he and i both agreed that it must have been from the strikes I've been throwing at the gym, which i think is how i throw my cross and it went wrong.

I'm going under the knife this month to get this fixed and I haven't done any sort of training, even at home for a long time now

I'm depressed as hell and keep crying everyday and contemplated suicide a couple of times because i know i have to move on from this. I don't mind having a broken arm or leg, or even a battered up face but i can't have my brain fucked with like this.

I'm going to miss all my brothers at the gym. I grew up hearing how women aren't strong and i proved them wrong for a very long time. I'm sad i can't do that anymore

The doctor told you that you have nerve damage from throwing strikes?

That makes no sense, that would be like saying a tennis player got nerve damage from swinging a tennis racket.

Now nerve damage from taking hits I understand, but even then, you would have to take a shitload of hits for some nerve damage to happen. We can use Ali for example, he suffered damage from taking hits, but theres tons of people that have done the same with no nerve damage. We can take countless thais with 100+ fights that are fine.

That being said, the cause of your nerve damage is debatable but it doesnt change the fact that its there.

Striking and competing may be out of the question, but I would think you could possibly still learn and practice BJJ (well controlled).

Fighting isnt everything in life. Find something else that you can do that you enjoy.

And as many have already said, theres many things you can do if you still want to be involved in MMA.

Back