Considering giving up the sport

HereToSlay

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First i would like to apologize if i turn into a mess writing this

I've been training MMA since 2013, had a couple of fights where i live and lost my last fight 3 months back to a submission

But i didn't give up and kept training and about 2 months ago i started getting terrible shoulder and neck pains.

One month later i started getting shooting head pains, which when i do, i get completely disconnected from reality and dizzy. And my limbs go numb, i lose control of my face.

Thanks to my parents i can afford the best healthcare and i consulted a neurologist, apparently I'm suffering from nerve damage and while i was talking to him he and i both agreed that it must have been from the strikes I've been throwing at the gym, which i think is how i throw my cross and it went wrong.

I'm going under the knife this month to get this fixed and I haven't done any sort of training, even at home for a long time now

I'm depressed as hell and keep crying everyday and contemplated suicide a couple of times because i know i have to move on from this. I don't mind having a broken arm or leg, or even a battered up face but i can't have my brain fucked with like this.

I'm going to miss all my brothers at the gym. I grew up hearing how women aren't strong and i proved them wrong for a very long time. I'm sad i can't do that anymore

I've been training MMA since 2013, had a couple of fights where i live and lost my last fight 3 months back to a submission

But i didn't give up and kept training and about 2 months ago i started getting terrible shoulder and neck pains.

One month later i started getting shooting head pains, which when i do, i get completely disconnected from reality and dizzy. And my limbs go numb, i lose control of my face.

Thanks to my parents i can afford the best healthcare and i consulted a neurologist, apparently I'm suffering from nerve damage and while i was talking to him he and i both agreed that it must have been from the strikes I've been throwing at the gym, which i think is how i throw my cross and it went wrong.

I'm going under the knife this month to get this fixed and I haven't done any sort of training, even at home for a long time now

I'm depressed as hell and keep crying everyday and contemplated suicide a couple of times because i know i have to move on from this. I don't mind having a broken arm or leg, or even a battered up face but i can't have my brain fucked with like this.

I'm going to miss all my brothers at the gym. I grew up hearing how women aren't strong and i proved them wrong for a very long time. I'm sad i can't do that anymore
Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your hardship :( . Please don't ever hurt yourself. You can move on from this and find another way to express yourself.

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your hardship :( . Please don't ever hurt yourself. You can move on from this and find another way to express yourself.

Thanks. I was scared the what the response would be. Thank you so much

You gave something a try that few people would (hell, I didn't even have the balls to seriously train striking, so you've got one up on me). A serious health concern like that is nothing to mess around with. It's one thing to have knee pain and get it scoped and come back to train, this is another. Take care of yourself and as the poster above me said, you'll find other ways to express yourself.

You gave something a try that few people would (hell, I didn't even have the balls to seriously train striking, so you've got one up on me). A serious health concern like that is nothing to mess around with. It's one thing to have knee pain and get it scoped and come back to train, this is another. Take care of yourself and as the poster above me said, you'll find other ways to express yourself.

Thank you. I kept ignoring the shoulder and arm pains. But when it started messing up with my head i started getting worried. Being disconnected and dizzy is the worst feeling ever. I told myself i would never train again, but i couldn't hold myself back anymore and went back in. A couple of days later i passed out. And i knew the time had come

I blame no one but myself, i was pretty damn good, i had a good right hand and i was arrogant. My coach used to tell me to rotate more and use my hip to generate power but i kept ignoring him and used my shoulder more :'(

Not surprisingly, fighting is awful for your body. Be proud you were able to make the correct decision to stop before you seriously fucked yourself up. Most guys don't.

Hey that sucks. I fought in my first karate tournament for a couple years today and took some hard knocks so I know how you feel - the headaches after are the worst. Fighting is great, but no sport is worth your long term health. You've proven yourself, so why not switch to light/no contact? It's not quite the same, but still fun and you still get that sense of community. I wish you all the best!

Hey that sucks. I fought in my first karate tournament for a couple years today and took some hard knocks so I know how you feel - the headaches after are the worst. Fighting is great, but no sport is worth your long term health. You've proven yourself, so why not switch to light/no contact? It's not quite the same, but still fun and you still get that sense of community. I wish you all the best!

I should try that. Thank you so much. But I'm afraid to do anything involving heavy movement right now

Hand to hand combat is a silly hobby but it's addictive. Just know no one's really tough and everyone's scared.

There's much better things out there; just look and you'll find something amazing and amazing people too. Just have to put yourself out there.

Take care.

If you want to keep training there are other ways that may satisfy your need. I think my body is done with striking after decades of abuse, so I'm considering grappling or TMAs. You can find some serious value in katas, despite what the trendy opinion is.

Sorry to hear that, but yes, health has to come 1st.
I know from personal experience that recovering from a serious injury is not just about getting your body recuperated, it can be a difficult mental hurdle to overcome.
If you allow my suggestion, i would say you must avoid the negative thinking and think about what you have going for you.
What did the Doc say about what comes next after the surgery?
Will you have a full recup ? Will you have to quit any type of sport altogether ?
Best of luck and stay strong, your journey is not over yet.

Switch to pad holder! Try to get certified to be a ref for local fights! Get your personal trainer credentials! Get certified in your favorite training and train others!

You can STILL be useful in the fight scene and you can STILL be a part of it!

I should try that. Thank you so much. But I'm afraid to do anything involving heavy movement right now

Yeah, better take a few months off first until your body is right again. Life is long and patience is often rewarded. Good luck!

I would like to say first and foremost thanks for your insightful and intimate post. I completely understand where your coming from and realized hard sparring is not something anyone should do weekly, let alone daily. Regardless if your trying to become a professional or not.
Secondly, there is way more to life than martial arts, and tbh the "fights" that happen outside the cage (inequalities, sexism, et) are more important than the ones inside the ring.

I too have had multiple surgeries and actually dislocated my shoulder during my first MT match.

Switch to pad holder! Try to get certified to be a ref for local fights! Get your personal trainer credentials! Get certified in your favorite training and train others!

You can STILL be useful in the fight scene and you can STILL be a part of it!

Similar to what I was going to suggest. My case is a bit different from yours but in the end, it leads to the same place, no longer competing. I've recently started transitioning into teaching newer students and refining their basics. It doesn't get the adrenaline going in the same way but it is very rewarding when you see their progress. I'm not a pro trainer nor do I have illusions of becoming one but it keeps me active, keeps me focused on learning and practicing new techniques and keeps my body (relatively) healthy. Worth considering and I am sorry to hear of your hardships. Like losing a fight, consider it an opportunity to grow, even if it's not in the way you expected or wanted.

You're in good company man. Thanks for posting up and sharing.

I started getting that nerve damage from to many breakfalls over the years. I still can't mouse with my right hand or the symptoms come back. I just started doing light pushups and so far ok.

That's just the small injury, the whopper is I got told I have no cartilage left in one hip and need to have the shreds scraped off and a cap and socket implanted. I'm having nightmares about never training again or training dreams where I'm 100% and then wake up to reality. Kinda in limbo right now and don't know if I'll ever train at the level I did for years.

10 years ago I had distal bicep tendon rupture and surgery. I used that down time to train Tai Chi I learned from an old Vietnam vet instructor from my dojo. It really helped me focus on something while I recouped. As my arm got stronger I re learned all my TKD poomsae as a gauge of my progress till I could go back to heavy bag work and then get back on the mat.

Point is there's other really challenging aspects of martial arts to accomplish and test yourself against. Like I'm looking forward to after my surgery coming up, there's ways of training and staying constantly testing yourself.

First thing is to heal up from the surgery and constantly pester your PT for as much therapy as you can do at every stage of your recoup. When you get the green light, lightly work your techniques and shadow sparring. Just remember there's a ton of training you can do, just look at it like a challenge for yourself internally to heal rather than an outside opponent. You are rooting to win with yourself and beat an opponent that's your injury together.

Sry if that gets to fucking mystical and shit, but I'm in the same fight against a injury I'm questioning myself about whether I'll get back to the things I've done all my life.

Keep posting up here and let us know how you're doing.

I'm beating this shit and you will too!

You still sound young, please remember, you never know what's round the corner, as sad as things are now they are all just a moment in time.

good luck, and remember- those who are no longer capable of athletically competing can always switch to jiujitsi instead.

Dude, if you have a pinched nerve is not your brain.
Nerves are part of the nervous system, but they are peripheral, so don't worry, it's nothing bad.

If the cause of the problem is how you throw your cross and not the cross punches your receive on your face, it's not a big deal.

Dude, if you have a pinched nerve is not your brain.
Nerves are part of the nervous system, but they are peripheral, so don't worry, it's nothing bad.

If the cause of the problem is how you throw your cross and not the cross punches your receive on your face, it's not a big deal.

I know that, but it's not an experience that i enjoy. And I'm scared

Back