Conor's win over Holloway is irrelevant

at some point in their careers the fight will become irrelevant, but not when both are literally 30 years old(or there abouts) and it happened within the last 5 years. Both are still in their prime, they fought when they were up and coming. Id still consider that fight relevant at this point as both have improved.
I think it's relevant to talk about when discussing the possible future fight, but irrelevant enough to say you need to see them fight again to see how it would flesh out now. And the reason why I feel that way, 22 is not a physical prime year, but 25 is (physical, not technical [skill-wise]). Plus Max looks leaps better than he did back then, Conor looks improved but we know improvement gets slower every additional year in the sport after some inflection point. There are diminishing returns.

I’d love to see this rematch. Totally different fight now.

I think it's relevant to talk about when discussing the possible future fight, but irrelevant enough to say you need to see them fight again to see how it would flesh out now.
thats a fair statement.

McNugget was hungry back then. This was a legit W.

Thread/

It is sort of obsolete today just because of how the fight went down and how much better Max is now. Max had little to no TDD back then and Conor tore his knee and just basically lay and prayed to victory. Two guys who normally stand and bang having a ground hugging match. A fight today would almost surely look totally different.

that's all anybody talks about on here.

colin and kaboob. goat this and goat that

gsp, silva, fedor, what if what if.

sherdog is getting pretty lame

bright enough to realise you don't actually have any points
those fights you mentioned are not comparable as they happened years after either one or both were past their best(apart from the GSP/BJ fight, but even that was more about grappling the 2nd time).

the worst part about this conversation is you actually seem to think you HAVE made points

It's not irrelevant. It happened.

Like OP's original comment though, it should come with a caveat.

Saying it's not relevant sounds like a desperate attempt to erase history and prop up Max and comes off as delusional. Is it everything? NO, but does it matter? Yes. The past fight, doesn't guarantee that a rematch would end the same way, but it does provide some indication of how they match up with each other. Also, both fighters have improved since the fight not just Max.

Max wasnt even a top 20 and prolly 30 FW at the time lol. He had literally just lost to Dennis Bermudez the fight before, robbed Leonard "Robber" Garcia of all ppl of a win the fight before that, and 2 fights before that got finished by Dustin in the 1st round

2013 Max Holloway is nowhere close to a gureat FW, never mind elite. Anyone who thinks that fight indicates much of anything has autism
Hey look actual sound reasoning and logic. Nobody noticed or liked this,forgot mudslinging is a sherdog's way of displaying an argument. Great post.

It’s a huge win for Conor and looks nice on his resume..... Max likely beats Conor’s ass these days ....Max still hittable and Conor can crack .... But for Conor to have to rely on stopping Max’s with strikes is going to be tough ..... Max’s takes Conor to the 3 or fourth round(deep water ) and drowns him imo

He gassed out against Nate 2 and against Floyd which were mainly stand up fights. What happens when he gasses against Max, who gets stronger in the championship rounds?
Obviously max, but again, conor survived 5 rounds with nate and beat him, and went 10 rounds with floyd.

As good as max is dude gets hit, can he take the first 2 rounds of conor landing that left?

Obviously max, but again, conor survived 5 rounds with nate and beat him, and went 10 rounds with floyd.

As good as max is dude gets hit, can he take the first 2 rounds of conor landing that left?
Lol shut up dummy

Conor can't take punches and he's hittable and all Max does is punch and hit, punch and hit. I think he'd be the first guy to KO Conor. I don't think Conor has the footwork to avoid Max and I don't think he has the chin to withstand him.

Edson would be a tough fight for Max. Maybe Tony, although I'm not sure. I think Max beats Khabib, as I don't think Khabib's TDs are good enough to find Max, and Max chin is such that if he gets taken down he can take the blows. If Conor could avoid being taken down so much and as well as get up from under Khabib, just like Iaquinta did, I have to believe Max can do the same. Difference is all the time he's standing he's shifting angles on Khabib, making the TDs very difficult to begin with - he's way more mobile than either Conor or Iaquinta, and also hitting Khabib with a non-stop flurry of strikes.

But Edson would be a real problem for Max I think.
Edson Barboza? No

Any offensive output would get completely smothered by Max’s boxing. He would get pressured and beat down. He may land one insane strike at some point like he always does but he would get end up getting boxed up and stopped by Max.

Edson Barboza? No

Any offensive output would get completely smothered by Max’s boxing. He would get pressured and beat down. He may land one insane strike at some point like he always does but he would get end up getting boxed up and stopped by Max.
Fair chance you're right. I hope you are. But I don't know for sure. I'd def watch. And if what you describe occurred, I'd be damned happy for Max...

Back