Conor's knee injury

He tore his ACL against Max in the second round of their fight while going for a transition in top control.

In the Mendes fight, his camp claims he had a knee injury going in. Watching the fight, he didn't even try to stop most of the takedowns so I find it to be at least plausible.

Yes, but I haven't heard anything directly from anyone around conor about his inability to do road work. On sherdog, I've heard that conor can't do roadwork because of his knees. I don't question that he has knee problems; I question the validity of the statement "conor doesn't do road work because he has bad knees"

Yes, but I haven't heard anything directly from anyone around conor about his inability to do road work. On sherdog, I've heard that conor can't do roadwork because of his knees. I don't question that he has knee problems; I question the validity of the statement "conor doesn't do road work because he has bad knees"
Oh I'm sure he can do roadwork. As someone with a less-than stellar knee myself, you get weary of long runs and opt for power-walking, cycling, elliptical, swimming, ect.

I'm guessing he (or his team/group) are weary of re-injuring the knee and are compensating for that. Who knows though, just a guess.

He tore his ACL against Max in the second round of their fight while going for a transition in top control.

In the Mendes fight, his camp claims he had a knee injury going in. Watching the fight, he didn't even try to stop most of the takedowns so I find it to be at least plausible.

His knees can't be that bad. You seen that guy's quads lately? he's been putting in some work. I think he's just not built for great cardio.

Seen this mentioned a few times last few days.

Apparently that's the reason he does no roadwork. Is this true? I've never heard this before.

Is there any evidence of this or is this just an excuse to justify why Conor has a worse gas tank than a 90 year old chain smoker?
When has Conor gassed aside from the second Diaz fight?

His knees can't be that bad. You seen that guy's quads lately? he's been putting in some work. I think he's just not built for great cardio.
I agree. He's a fast-twitch type, allows him to leverage his power and pressure. It means he will never have great cardio.

Pretty well known fact that road work puts a lot of strain on the knees. Riding a bike, swimming, running on a treadmill are all better options when taking career longevity into consideration. Not even factoring in his previous injury, which is well known. As for a link: commonfuckingsense.org

Tore his ACL during the Max fight. He called GSP to ask about his surgeon and GSP past on the details and even flew out to LA to see how Conor's recovery was going. Just highlights what a great person GSP is.

BT-thrSCUAAqOiO.jpg

Conor partially tore his MCL in the lead up to the Aldo (and then Mendes) fight. A fighter got a little too over zealous grappling. It's not a huge deal but it does take away your stability with certain movements and then in turn your strength. You can see during some of Mendes' take down attempts - once the weight shifts to Conor's bad knee he gives up the takedown. It's a 6-8 week injury and doesn't require surgery (especially when factoring in his age). It's part of the reason why he said the Ultimate Fighter timing was good too as he could stay and rehab with Arnie's physio (she helped him for the Mendes fight).

The reason he doesn't do a tonne of roadwork as it's bad for the knees and it isn't efficient. There are better forms of training now. Look up HIIT. Same benefits in less time. It just makes sense to shift to that style as MMA is short duration bursts and you need to recover quickly. People act like you need to pound the pavement over and over to get results but it isn't the 50's any longer. Some athletes will never have the endurance of say a diaz brother and that's largely due to their fast/slow twitch muscle fibre types. Really basic physiology.

My right knee is kinda fucked up and my doctor said that I shouldn't go running on concrete, tarmac etc. Soft surfaces like grass are better for my knee.

So without having any knowledge about Conor's knees, I think it might be semi-true.

Doc recommended extensive quad workout because of my bum knee, he said something along the lines that it helps absorbing shocks and stabilizing the whole thing.

He cycles to try and build his stamina he can't run.. Well apart from running away from nate.

My right knee is kinda fucked up and my doctor said that I shouldn't go running on concrete, tarmac etc. Soft surfaces like grass are better for my knee.

So without having any knowledge about Conor's knees, I think it might be semi-true.
It's completely true. A lot of high level indoor training facilities put cushioning in their flooring now to protect the athletes knees. Most NFL clubs have it. Football/soccer too.

I’m pretty sure he said it himself that running bothers his knees. It’s definitely troublesome. Think it stems from that (acl?) tear in the Holloway fight.

Pretty well known fact that road work puts a lot of strain on the knees. Riding a bike, swimming, running on a treadmill are all better options when taking career longevity into consideration. Not even factoring in his previous injury, which is well known. As for a link: commonfuckingsense.org

You are telling me that it's common sense that riding a bike is better for cardio than running?

Wait, what?

Tore his ACL during the Max fight. He called GSP to ask about his surgeon and GSP past on the details and even flew out to LA to see how Conor's recovery was going. Just highlights what a great person GSP is.

BT-thrSCUAAqOiO.jpg

Conor partially tore his MCL in the lead up to the Aldo (and then Mendes) fight. A fighter got a little too over zealous grappling. It's not a huge deal but it does take away your stability with certain movements and then in turn your strength. You can see during some of Mendes' take down attempts - once the weight shifts to Conor's bad knee he gives up the takedown. It's a 6-8 week injury and doesn't require surgery (especially when factoring in his age). It's part of the reason why he said the Ultimate Fighter timing was good too as he could stay and rehab with Arnie's physio (she helped him for the Mendes fight).

The reason he doesn't do a tonne of roadwork as it's bad for the knees and it isn't efficient. There are better forms of training now. Look up HIIT. Same benefits in less time. It just makes sense to shift to that style as MMA is short duration bursts and you need to recover quickly. People act like you need to pound the pavement over and over to get results but it isn't the 50's any longer. Some athletes will never have the endurance of say a diaz brother and that's largely due to their fast/slow twitch muscle fibre types. Really basic physiology.

Running isn't efficient?

Is this normal in MMA do fighters not do roadwork or is this just a conor thing?

Well people know of his knee problems and usually see him on a bike or rower or underwater treadmill, occasionally you may see him running on a regular treadmill but i can't remember the last time i have seen him running on road or on a track. So i guess people put 2 and 2 together and decided it was because of his bad knee, doesn't mean that's definite but it sounds realistic enough.

Apparently that's the reason he does no roadwork. Is this true? I've never heard this before.

Is there any evidence of this or is this just an excuse to justify why Conor has a worse gas tank than a 90 year old chain smoker?
yes, he bikes...been doing that for many years

Gas tank of a 90 year old chain smoker that beat a triathlete in a 5 round fight.

Today I read on sherdog that Conor's horrendous cardio is a myth. I have yet to see delusion like that in any other fanbase.

Fact: conor beat nate in a 5 round war...so his haters can talk all they want about how "bad" is cardio is, yet if it's so bad, how did he beat a triathlete in a 5 round war?

Back