Conor McGregor speaking Irish

My grandpa was fluent in it and my dad spoke it about as wel as Conor but they only taught me how to curse so I can let out expletives in public and nobody will understand

For anyone whose interested here's undefeated UFC bantamweight Brett Johns speaking Welsh

Sounds like Finnish or Icelandic or something. A little Swedish sounding as well, definitely nothern. I like Irish better though, it sounds so badass.

Sounds like Finnish or Icelandic or something. A little Swedish sounding as well, definitely nothern. I like Irish better though, it sounds so badass.

No wonder you find some similarities between these two. Both Scandinavian (Proper academic term is North German Languages) languages & Celtic Languages are from the same German Language Family & their Grammatical structure ( Syntax, Sementics, Phonetics) are literally same.

Yep. Fluently. Need a hand with sthn??

No man. Just wondered if any irish lads here spoke it. Respect. I wish I did. All I know is Tiochfaidh ar la. And a couple of other similar phrases. Not exactly conversation starters

No man. Just wondered if any irish lads here spoke it. Respect. I wish I did. All I know is Tiochfaidh ar la. And a couple of other similar phrases. Not exactly conversation starters

Was actually up your neck of the woods last night - Lisburn road. All those union jacks everywhere - ugh! ;)

You have to be drunk to understand it.

No wonder you find some similarities between these two. Both Scandinavian (Proper academic term is North German Languages) languages & Celtic Languages are from the same German Language Family & their Grammatical structure ( Syntax, Sementics, Phonetics) are literally same.
Ah, I see, that makes sense. Between Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Danish and now the Celtic languages it really does mix together. I mean, Celtic languages seems to sound more like Finnish and Icelandic, which are further apart from Danish, Swedish and Norwegian which are closer. Danish is probably the closest to German, which makes sense given the location. We've got a lot of hard stops in our language and it's not as soft and melodious as the other Scandinavians ones.

Quite fascinating really.

Celtic languages are their own family; they are not Germanic languages. Both Germanic the Germanic and Celtic language families are Indo-European, so they are related, but rather more distantly than you are describing here. English is an excellent example of a Germanic language.

The Germanic peoples invaded Europe during the middle to late Roman Empire. Prior to that, at least Western Europe was mainly populated by various Celtic groups. Now the Celts mainly exist in pockets on the French Coast (Gascony, Brittany) and in the British Isles.

Sorry but that's utter bullshit, maybe you're thinking of Cornish
Yeah, there are four remaining living Celtic languages: Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, and Breton. Cornish died out around the time of the American Revolution and Manx died out in the 20th century.

Badly,

I can ask to go to the bathroom, thats about it.

Only really useful for school or prison.

optustattoo.jpg

This is nonsense. There are regional dialects all over the world. It's a point of pride in most places to learn a way to speak so you can be understood outside of your smaller village/area. In time you can grow rusty in your original dialect, while still having pride in your roots.

Don't talk when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, especially when you're just reaching for bullshit to bash a guy you don't like, "Khabib fan".

You write all of that bullshit and say I'm the one that's reaching???

I'm so ignorant, for the longest time I tnoguht Irish and Scottish people just spoke English, but with an accent, like English people.

Thanks, Hollywood.

The Welsh have put more effort for preserving their version of Gaelic compared to the Irish. Which is a shame cause anyone studying linguistic will tell you about the greatness of Celtic languages.

Ah well, 'linguistic' is a forgotten science in Ireland. You ever been to Ireland or Wales BTW?

I'm so ignorant, for the longest time I tnoguht Irish and Scottish people just spoke English, but with an accent, like English people.

Thanks, Hollywood.

They do.

The most hardcore Scots you meet will be talking 'Scots' which derives from Middle English - if they want to fuck with you. English to Scots is basically like comparing Portugese to Spanish. Read some Trainspotting if you want see what it's about. Gaelic was mostly murdered out of the country. They all speak English but the accent is difficult.

Everybody in Ireland speaks English but some also have their Irish Gaelic. Which is an utterly different language group.

That language looks really crazy written down. It makes some simple words spelled with way way more letters than the same word in English.

Thanks, Hollywood.
Languages are crazy sometimes. I was deployed with a bunch of British Royal Air Force guys. They speak English but some have such a different accent I could not understand then at all. We had to have other British soldiers translate for the guys with thick accents lol.

He went to an Irish speaking Secondary School in Tallaght, Dublin so he was probably fluent for a while but unfortunately it's not spoken by many people here at all, the way it is taught in normal schools is terrible too which doesn't help.

Back