Conor clowns on Crawford and current boxing

Conor went to Mayweather specifically, not boxing in general. Without Mayweather's personality and drawing power, he doesn't bother to cross over to boxing at all.

Also, let's not forget that Mayweather came out of retirement for an MMA guy, not another boxer. Why? Because there's more money in it for him to fight that MMA guy, than there is in it to fight anyone there is in boxing.
Lol he went to mayweather to box not to play Patti cake wtf ? Floyd came out of retirement because the only one who draw the big numbers in mma decided to call him out, why not take an easy payday? That has nothing to do with anything about boxing dying , shows boxing is strong and where's the money at which is why conor choose this path . Canelo last ppv just hit a mil plus . Which mma fighter other then conor is pulling numbers like that in mma? Guess ufc is dying too by your logic

EVERYTHING about boxing seems stuck in the past and unevolved. Just look at the journalism itself: you have fucking ES News, you have FightHype and you have Dontae's Boxing Channel compare those guys to the professionalism of MMAFighting.

I'm telling you that boxing is too stuck in their rituals/traditions/systems in every single way to even know what's coming.

There's been no reversal. Boxing still has, by a substantial margin, the deepest talent pool of any combat sport on the planet. Athletes go where the money is, and the money is in boxing - as evidenced by the biggest star in MMA history jumping ship the moment the opportunity to make his first eight figure payday popped up.

Your comment about boxing dying in those particular regions because of K-1 is a strange one, too. Boxing outlasted the boom periods of MMA and kickboxing in Japan and is essentially the only relevant form of prizefighting in that country at this point. And what has replaced boxing in Europe?
How many boxers really make the 7, 8 figures? 10? 20? I don't follow boxing to know.

Lol he went to mayweather to box not to play Patti cake wtf ? Floyd came out of retirement because the only one who draw the big numbers in mma decided to call him out, why not take an easy payday? That has nothing to do with anything about boxing dying , shows boxing is strong and where's the money at which is why conor choose this path . Canelo last ppv just hit a mil plus . Which mma fighter other then conor is pulling numbers like that in mma? Guess ufc is dying too by your logic

It's not that boxing is more popular, it's that the UFC still has these guys by the balls and boxing at this point lets the fighters keep a larger share and the promoters less by comparison.

If Conor wasn't under contract, he could theoretically get together with Floyd or Nate Diaz etc and do a huge independent MMA fight just the same.

It makes me wonder if fighters will wake up to this concept now that a precedent has been set, and we'll eventually see MMA turn into a boxing model, with big main event fights made from time to time, and shitty throwaway style undercards.

Fans will get their wish with increased elite fighter pay, but blockbuster cards will be a thing of the past.

There's been no reversal. Boxing still has, by a substantial margin, the deepest talent pool of any combat sport on the planet. Athletes go where the money is, and the money is in boxing - as evidenced by the biggest star in MMA history jumping ship the moment the opportunity to make his first eight figure payday popped up.

Your comment about boxing dying in those particular regions because of K-1 is a strange one, too. Boxing outlasted the boom periods of MMA and kickboxing in Japan and is essentially the only relevant form of prizefighting in that country at this point. And what has replaced boxing in Europe?

<TrumpWrong1>

It's not that boxing is more popular, it's that the UFC still has these guys by the balls and boxing at this point lets the fighters keep a larger share and the promoters less by comparison.

If Conor wasn't under contract, he could theoretically get together with Floyd or Nate Diaz etc and do a huge independent MMA fight just the same.

It makes me wonder if fighters will wake up to this concept now that a precedent has been set, and we'll eventually see MMA turn into a boxing model, with big main event fights made from time to time, and shitty throwaway style undercards.

Fans will get their wish with increased elite fighter pay, but blockbuster cards will be a thing of the past.

It's not that easy. MMA was essentially created and to this day is ran by companies. Breaking that mold is near impossible.

However, some intervention by governments could and should raise fighter pay, and athletes like Conor can help set precedents for larger shares for promotional contributions.

Crawford is fighting can after can. Doesn't have 1 big name on his resume unless you consider Gamboa who just lost to a bum who's 24-13 lol

Victor Postol, plus who is there to fight at 140? He'd kill broner. Plus Arum ain't gonna match against bud.

He's the best in the world at 140 and he's moving up to welter , where the money and match ups are.

EVERYTHING about boxing seems stuck in the past and unevolved. Just look at the journalism itself: you have fucking ES News, you have FightHype and you have Dontae's Boxing Channel compare those guys to the professionalism of MMAFighting.

I'm telling you that boxing is too stuck in their rituals/traditions/systems in every single way to even know what's coming.

Boxing journalism is largely shit (just like most sport journalism), but pretending MMA journalism isn't also complete shit is hilarious.

Admittedly, this is the problem with boxing. There are like ten guys that are well known and so few marquee match ups. By UFC consolidating all the fighters under one roof, marketing them, stacking cards, they were really able to pull ahead of boxing. Crawford, Loma, Riggy, even GGG to an extent, all lack these marquee match up wins. Every time I see Loma or Crawford fighting, I always say "who da cook is dat guy?". And the craziest thing is, they all have these 30-0 records but chock full of guys with no Wikipedia pages. Indongo may be go may be a much better fighter than Poirier, but I guarantee you more people know who Dustin Poirier is.

There are just too many promoters, too much bureaucracy, too many belts and then mediocre mandatory title matches for all their belts if they want to keep their belts.

Obviously, the upside to being all under one stable is increased visibility and fans buying your match ups, but the downside is you run the risk of getting hosed over, like the UFC does to it's fighters.

there's only 4 belts per weight class
there's a ton of MMA orgs that have a champion for LW

For there being roughly 5x more pro boxers than MMA fighters worldwide? It's based on rough work done by people other than myself (I'm fairly sure the poster @Sharkey could tell you more on who and how it was tabulated) by mostly using boxrec and fight finder. Rough numbers were around 25000 active boxers and around 5000 active MMA fighters (hence the 5 to 1 ratio). This isn't accounting for the massive discrepancy in the amateur systems in MMA and boxing (boxing has a highly developed and truly international amateur system to the point that many high level amateurs never even turn pro). None of this is exact, but they were rough approximations which were fairly well researched.

it doesn't indicate boxing is dying or anything . I feel like just like mma there's going to be a big star upcoming like Anthony Joshua for intense . I cm just can't see the notion of boxing is dying , I think Floyd vs pac hurt it a little though but it's gaining back momentum with stars like canelo , ggg etc

How many boxers really make the 7, 8 figures? 10? 20? I don't follow boxing to know.

There's way more than 20 boxers who have earned at least a $1 million (or more) guarantee over the last year or so, including the guy mentioned alongside Conor in the thread title.

Back