Congressman to UFC, Bellator: "Move to a real league system"

UFC is about entertainment, if you want to watch a real sport with legit A-level athletes go watch football(soccer for americans). We can only dream to have an athlete of Cristiano Ronaldo's caliber in MMA lol
A-level athletes? lol those guys that act like they've been shot and fall to the ground over nothing?

Political figures are well versed in double-talk/word games. When someone tries to work them, they are able to cut to the chase if they really want to.

GreenWatchfulCollardlizard.gif

200w.gif

Mullin absolutely owned Ratner. It wasn't even a fair matchup.

Good luck trying to convince anybody that when Bisping fought Henderson, the N°1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 ranked fighters were all unavailable.

The UFC have only themselves to blame for this shit.
Have a decent rankings system and only give title shots to deserving fighters. Should've been simple.

None of this is relevant to anything. It isn't Congress' responsibility or even their right to dictate how the UFC conducts their matchmaking.

Congressman KO'd the UFC and their goofy ranking system. Meritocracy based or you aren't a true sport
Yes but when has MMA been a true sport?
And I've been a fan since Tito Ortiz vs guy mezger 2

This, I have no clue why any of this is an issue. You can't blindly apply what works for team sports or tennis to combat sports where each fighter can only have a limited number of fights per year. If that congressman want to be that petty, he should sue the NFL for calling the Superbowl a world championship, but he is clearly nitpicking to harm the UFC.
Even worse is all the co-signers itt siding with an uninformed Congressman over the sport of MMA. Ladies and gentlemen, Sherdog.

UFC deservedly getting shit kicked in. UFC is clearly not a legitimate sport organisation but a private money grabbing company. Who brings the money gets title shots

Again that's every company in MMA ever.

BTW.. why the fuck USA congress is discussing UFC ranking system?

MMA fans always pretend to want legitimacy but then cry every time someone wants to implement it. Professional commenters? NOOOOOOOO, keep the stoner manchild and some goofball who probably calls his wife the wrong name daily! Merit-based ranking system? NOOOOOOOOO UFC should be able to do whatever they want!!

How are people bashing this? He's 100% right.
We need a proper making system so guys like Mcgregor and Bisping defend or vacate. So the best guy in the division has the championship belt.
The ranking system is fine, it's impartial and ranked by the media like it should be. Dan Henderson wasn't ranked 2 when he challenged for the belt. It was a highly questionable matchmaking decision in that case rather than a ranking issue, but there are too many factors that go into matchmaking to have Congress set up rules for who can fight who when based only on ranking. We would never have fights.

It's not perfect the way it is, but I'd rather leave it in the hands of Sean Shelby than some politician on a power trip.

I really can't believe that some people don't understand that UFC rankings are utterly shit and the guys that create them are idiots / don't watch MMA / have some interest in this.

Bisping and his fight against Hendo - yeah, everybody else was unavailable
Dennis Siver up in rankings before his Conor fight
Conor fighting for a LW title, with 0 LW fights
GSP fighting for a MW title, with 0 MW fights - and I am a fan of GSP, but come on...

Right now, Nate is 6th at LW, although he hasn't fought at LW since 2015, and he is 2-3 in his last 5 LW fights
Poirier is 7th at LW, although he fought 3 times in 2017 and 3 times in 2016 - 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 NC (not his fault)

How much do you need?

I know people don't care, but some good fighters, like Whitaker, are being screwed by this dumb system.

It's not fucking hard to create a ranking system where you give points for the number of fights per year, the numbers of wins, what type of win, the win loss ratio, number of succesful strikes, strikes avoided, takedowns etc...

It's not the same in boxing. The promoters aren't part of the organizations that hand out belts. The organization has a ranking system and even as flawed as it is theoretically they have rules and you can't just have your favourite fighter egtting title shots.

In boxing there are mandatory defences that have to go to the highest ranked boxer who can/wants to seize that opportunity. In between champs can have voluntary defences against anyone within the top 10 or 15 or whatever.

There are no mandatory title shots in the UFC as they exist in boxing. Guys like Maia and Jacare and others got fucked over when it was their turn to fight for the title. Same with Romero.

In kcikboxing and MT it's kinda the same but they are much smaller sports (beside MT in Thailand only) so no poltiician bothers with it. Also kickboxing is bigger outside the US so US legislation couldn't do anything to GLORY and co

Mandatory title shots are stupid.
It's one of the reason boxing has been in a decaying State for the past 20 years. Nobody wants to watch a no-name chump compete for title.

Especially when they got that ass handed to them by the champ before.

The ranking system is fine, it's impartial and ranked by the media like it should be. Dan Henderson wasn't ranked 2 when he challenged for the belt. It was a highly questionable matchmaking decision in that case rather than a ranking issue, but there are too many factors that go into matchmaking to have Congress set up rules for who can fight who when based only on ranking. We would never have fights.

It's not perfect the way it is, but I'd rather leave it in the hands of Sean Shelby than some politician on a power trip.

ranking system isnt fine because it's all just a show for the public. it's worthless. if you bring the moeny you can fight for the title despite the bullshit ranking system

I love how critics never seem to offer a solution.

I don't want to see a repeat of the 1 and 2 fighting each other over and over just because they're ranked 1 and 2

UFC is about entertainment, if you want to watch a real sport with legit A-level athletes go watch football(soccer for americans). We can only dream to have an athlete of Cristiano Ronaldo's caliber in MMA lol

Is that the lawn ferry with the abs who plays ball kick?

Back