Confession time: which were your lowlights as a fan?

I really thought Pettis was the shit. Felt really confident he was going to beat RDA. Wrong!

When Rashad got KOed by Machida, I was bummed. When Rashad got KOed by Teixeira, it felt like I lost a friend. But the worse was when Silva broke his leg. I wasn't a fan of Silva (although I respect the hell out of him) and I'm a huge Weidman fan. Bet my buddy $250 on the fight. I was so bothered by the leg break that I didn't even take the money. I felt really bad for Silva for a long time.

Jones-Shogun = Stayed away from MMA for a whole week, still traumatized till today :)
Chael-Shogun = Turned off the TV and went for a long walk on the streets of Rio de Janeiro at 3am, alone.

jon-jones_mauricio-rua.jpg

11111.gif

Cerrone vs RDA II.
I felt like Cerrone was actually taking things seriously, he was training hard, and he said it was his best camp in a while. Told all of my buddies that it was going to happen. I believed it, and he Lost in the first round. : (
Sonnen vs Silva II was a let down as well.

Devastated: Gus getting knocked out by Rumble in Sweden

Shocked and slightly frustrated: Bisping knocking out Rockhold

For me I've had many lowlights being a big fan of Shogun, Hendo and Hunt.

The worst is Jones/Shogun of course.

Cerrone vs RDA II.
I felt like Cerrone was actually taking things seriously, he was training hard, and he said it was his best camp in a while. Told all of my buddies that it was going to happen. I believed it, and he Lost in the first round. : (
Sonnen vs Silva II was a let down as well.
I'm not a fan of Cerrone but that fight was tough. Saw the countdown show and saw how he wanted to bring home that belt to his grandmother and how much she meant to him. But I guess that's the fight business, someone has to win and someone has to lose.

Cro cop/Nog. Agreed with Bas, no way was nog getting him to the ground next round.....
Gonzaga as well, crushing.

UFC gomi, every fight waiting for the old gomi(except Tyson, little early though)

Chuck Shogun, Franklin and Rashad. Thought he was looking good until.....

More but I'll need meds if if keep remembering

About 2001 when the sport became pussified. went from "ultimate fighting" too a sport full of so many rules and no longer resembles anything close to a real fight, with all the rules on things you can't do.

When Cruz lost his belt, I was sad all week afterwards. Especially losing it to a low-class person like Cody

It has already been mentioned, but Shogun v Jones. I knew it was coming. The late replacement against the crazy talent... it just smelled like a bad move on Shogun's part. To go from the jubilation of dethroning Machida (for a second time) to taking such a risky late-notice fight against a very unique fighter like Jones... ugh. and it was everything I hoped it wouldn't be. From that first knee it was over. Shogun was never the same, I don't care what anybody says. That was his crocop vs gonzaga moment.

My worst prediction was probably Fedor vs Hendo. We had more heads over than usual, a bunch of casuals and newbs along with our regular crew. The sequence of events that led to that opening was just so unlikely to happen. I wanted to murder Herb but he was out, at least for a split second.

Devastated:

Crocop/Gonzaga 1 was MMA's 9/11. Thank god for Crocop/Gonzaga 2, that was like the Ground Zero memorial being erected, giving me closure & letting me move on with my life

Damn, yeah, that must be the fight when my rustles got jimmied the most

Shogun vs. Forrest 1. Goddamnit. I had no words.
On the bright side, he did kill Forrest in the rematch like he should've done the first time around.

Anderson vs Weidman (both times)
Nog getting his arm broken
Machida vs Shogun 2

Recentlyish:

Silva Weidman 2 (1 was obviously no fun but the 2nd fight kind of showed it wasn't a fluke and the injury was horrible)

Condit vs Woodley - awful injury and loss in a fight that was just warming up

Cain vs Werdum, Never seen Cain look so clueless and helpless as he continued throwing crappy punches on an empty gas tank.

Any Mark Hunt fight lately against top comp.

Back