CNN anchor asks Bill Nye if asteroid is because of global warming

It is very very hard to detect things in space, especially small objects like this. I don't know if the James Webb telescope going up in 2020 will be used to look for things like this, but it does have the infrared parts (couldn't think of a better word) to detect things like this. Right now by the time we did find something that would destroy the earth it would be to late to do anything about it.

I understand its extremely hard to detect them but it seems like there is no real initiative from our world to at least make advances in detecting them.

For something that we know for a fact will hit at some point and could even lead to the extinction of humans, you would think there would be some more effort.

I think more alarming to Bill Nye's point is how little the human population does to detect asteroids...I mean they didn't fucking see this thing until a year ago and that was by some amateur astronomers in Spain. All the trillions of dollars going towards shit like wars we could be using a very tiny fraction of that to help protect the future of the humans.

Not to mention, this asteroid will only miss us by 15 minutes.

Notice how bill refused to answer the damn question

He was probably so flabbergasted at how retarded of a question it was and couldn't think of response.

Deb Feyerick needs to move to Fox, where the science is more her level.

He was probably so flabbergasted at how retarded of a question it was and couldn't think of response.

or maybe he doesnt want to admit that our dependence on fossil fuels will be the end of us

Well let's just say she's misinformed in certain areas.

I think more alarming to Bill Nye's point is how little the human population does to detect asteroids...I mean they didn't fucking see this thing until a year ago and that was by some amateur astronomers in Spain. All the trillions of dollars going towards shit like wars we could be using a very tiny fraction of that to help protect the future of the humans.

how would it protect the future of humans? An asteroid only has to be 1 mile long to destroy all of earth.

Also, would you really want to know it if you had 24 hours to live? I really wouldn't.

I really don't know what to say, so here's the video

120213_rush_limbaugh_ap_328.jpg

He was easy on her there. He could have went into detail on how human made CO2 is causing a massive destabilization in our asteroid belt, sending hulking objects tumbling towards the inner planets.

or maybe he doesnt want to admit that our dependence on fossil fuels will be the end of us

First off, I'm not going to debate with you on global warming, that's for a different time.
Second, our weather on earth has a slim to no effect on space, about the only thing in space the earth affects is gravitational pull on other objects

how would it protect the future of humans? An asteroid only has to be 1 mile long to destroy all of earth.

Also, would you really want to know it if you had 24 hours to live? I really wouldn't.

If they could detect an asteroid on a path with earth some years out maybe, just maybe something could be done to move its path slightly enough....who knows....humans come up with the craziest shit when motivated.

Bill Nye is worth like 6 million dollars.
That's all i have to contribute.

Holy shit...the best part is her follow up "some meteoric occasion" with a small smile for the oh so clever pun she made.

I know a lot of very, very intelligent women that are entirely clueless about matters of space (that aren't astrology, of course). Clueless as in "is the sun bigger than the moon?" and "So is mars part of our galaxy, then?"

I blame all the men out there that loved space when they were young boys then grow into men and put their daughters in pink skirts and dollhouses instead of teaching their daughters math and science. And the mothers who allow another generation of women to be as clueless as themselves. Knowing about asteroids is probably about as important as knowing the roster of the 1998 49ers, but a minimum amount of well-roundedness should be encouraged to avoid shit like this.

global warming and meteors r separate processes

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Back