CM PUNK: "If it was up to me, I'd be the first fight on fight pass"

CM via blackhouse front kick to the face.

You know when approached by Zuffa he wanted to do the lower level thing, right? They basically told him he was too big a name and they wanted him on UFC PPVs right out of the gate.

The man has always been clear he's ticking boxes off his bucket list since he left wrestling. I get the 'he's taking up spots that real fighters would have' argument, but honestly in the 2+ years he's been part of the conversation exactly 2 fighter spots have been taken up by his matches on PPV and I can think of a lot of other fighters who have gotten on the main card instead of some more deserving fighter in that time. There is no proof the income he's taking up for his contract would go to better fighters instead of Zuffa coffers or another face on a card. So far he's done no worse than James Toney and after one fight has the same UFC record as Brock did, for what its worth.

Yes, I think he shouldnt be in the UFC, but there are a bunch of other fighters I dont think are on an elite mma organization level and they are on cards all the time. I think he sincerely knows his skill level and his place in MMA, but he was given the opportunity to fight in the UFC for a bunch of money and I cant say I'd turn that down even if I was shit in the cage. Not even for someone's idea of 'honor.'
You're misunderstanding me. I don't care about this fighter spot taking nonsense (In fact his presence help the headliners with PPV points). I'm actually looking at things that benefit Punks development as a fighter.
Zuffa offered him a PPV spot? He should have refused. He's not a desperate broke amateur fighter, and I'm sure the UFC would have accepted him being on TUF or fighting in the LFA. What choice would they have. He has enough clout to do whatever he wants.

He's getting paid alot of money from the UFC, but he's a millionaire already and he's doing it for the love right? So why not just do a local amateur show. Batista did it, and he was a WWE star.

You said he's ticking boxes which proves my point, he's just fulfilling some midlife crisis wish list.

The guy is hardly a celebrity. I honestly don't know what value he genuinely brings to the company. He's almost 40 and literally had two left feet in his debut fight. I'm 100% sure there are younger guys out there who are better than him.

No its not bullshit. Ufc came and said heres how many millions you get. You dont say no to that no matter what you wanted to do before. It becomes a no brainer. As much as hed wanna do it differently,he CANT. UFC wants him aa the main,they paid him what he was worth and thats how it goes. Anything else ia fantasy.
But he's already a millionaire. He could literally dedicate his whole life training and doing things the correct way instead of just getting thrown in at the deep end.
Batista fought in some crummy show against the right opponent for his experience, and probably got paid peanuts, but this shows me he's approached things the right way.

I'm not buying the money argument. If Punk just wanted to make money he would have gone back to the WWE.

The guy is hardly a celebrity. I honestly don't know what value he genuinely brings to the company. He's almost 40 and literally had two left feet in his debut fight. I'm 100% sure there are younger guys out there who are better than him.
And there's actually a fair amount of WWE guys with legit wrestling and marital arts background. Why the UFC felt compelled to sign a broken unathletic man with no competitive combat experience is beyond me.
Ashton Kutcher, and Usher probably have the same or even more BJJ experience than Punk. And Jason Ellis has a handful of legit fights. Why not sign them if they want star power. So strange.

Fuck off with your fake humility, Brooks.
If you genuinely felt that way, you wouldn't be entering contract talks asking for $1-2million per fight basic salary. If you really felt that way, you'd have approached the UFC and asked for a regular contract offer, and accepted $20/20k if it was offered.

He’s clearly talking about the relative talent of he and his opponent, nothing to do with money. He’s worth a lot of money to fight, you wouldn’t accept it I suppose?

I don’t understand the delusion of Brooks though. Why did he think he could hang with UFC fighters just because he has a camp behind him...
Was it because Brock did it?

If you genuinely felt that way, you wouldn't be entering contract talks asking for $1-2million per fight basic salary. If you really felt that way, you'd have approached the UFC and asked for a regular contract offer, and accepted $20/20k if it was offered.

Not really. Gotta make all the money you can, when you can.

That's just business.

Ehh I think there's some respect to be given to CM Punk for trying. I mean he's achieved his name in this world. He's bringing in all the fans. He's also trying to do something that's pretty hard to accomplish. So for that I give him a thumbs up for trying. I doubt he needs the money. But then again I see all the better talent he's holding up (the guys who've trained longer, fight better, etc). But they can't bring the money he can. So at the end of the day we have to remind ourselves that the UFC is not fair but we just have to deal with it. It's our choice to watch that fight or not.

Win or lose I'm looking forward to his post-fight speech.

You're misunderstanding me. I don't care about this fighter spot taking nonsense (In fact his presence help the headliners with PPV points). I'm actually looking at things that benefit Punks development as a fighter.
Zuffa offered him a PPV spot? He should have refused. He's not a desperate broke amateur fighter, and I'm sure the UFC would have accepted him being on TUF or fighting in the LFA. What choice would they have. He has enough clout to do whatever he wants.

He's getting paid alot of money from the UFC, but he's a millionaire already and he's doing it for the love right? So why not just do a local amateur show. Batista did it, and he was a WWE star.

You said he's ticking boxes which proves my point, he's just fulfilling some midlife crisis wish list.

Except that the UFC didnt accept him being on TUF or being in the LFA. They approached him as soon as he made noises about going that route and threw a lot of money at him to go the UFC money fight route instead.

I'm not sure what exactly your point is then. You are basically saying that if someone gave you the opportunity to fight in the UFC you would turn it down for the good of the sport. That is living in a fantasy world and I dont believe you or anyone else would do that for a second. Batista didnt get approached by the UFC even after publicly saying he wanted to fight there, Bobby Lashley wanted to keep doing peds and pro wrestling so the UFC told him no when he approached them. Alberto del Rio fought in a mask in Pride and people didnt seem to get as up in arms as they do about Brooks.

If the UFC wanted him on a Fight Pass spot, they'd put him there. That they dont after Brooks says he'd be perfectly fine with that isnt on Brooks. If your point is that he's fulfilling his wish list then again, I'm not sure what your point is since that's not a secret. I get that you want him to walk away from the UFC and never talk about any of its fighters on social media again because it somehow offends you in what seems to be an intangible way, especially since you are on a media platform talking about UFC fighters, but you are living in a fantasy world greater than Brooks if you think anyone would tell the UFC to keep their million and their main card slots because they were going to do amateur mma instead.

Right why would someone take 1-2 million when they could have 20k. Too be he doesn’t have your business sense

Except that the UFC didnt accept him being on TUF or being in the LFA. They approached him as soon as he made noises about going that route and threw a lot of money at him to go the UFC money fight route instead.

I'm not sure what exactly your point is then. You are basically saying that if someone gave you the opportunity to fight in the UFC you would turn it down for the good of the sport. That is living in a fantasy world and I dont believe you or anyone else would do that for a second. Batista didnt get approached by the UFC even after publicly saying he wanted to fight there, Bobby Lashley wanted to keep doing peds and pro wrestling so the UFC told him no when he approached them. Alberto del Rio fought in a mask in Pride and people didnt seem to get as up in arms as they do about Brooks.

If the UFC wanted him on a Fight Pass spot, they'd put him there. That they dont after Brooks says he'd be perfectly fine with that isnt on Brooks. If your point is that he's fulfilling his wish list then again, I'm not sure what your point is since that's not a secret. I get that you want him to walk away from the UFC and never talk about any of its fighters on social media again because it somehow offends you in what seems to be an intangible way, especially since you are on a media platform talking about UFC fighters, but you are living in a fantasy world greater than Brooks if you think anyone would tell the UFC to keep their million and their main card slots because they were going to do amateur mma instead.

Except that the UFC didnt accept him being on TUF or being in the LFA - Like the UFC are going be in a position to turn down Punk of TUF. There desperate enough to sign him in the first place. They'll fold under any of his demands. Punk isn't on TUF because he wanted to take the short cut.

You are basically saying that if someone gave you the opportunity to fight in the UFC you would turn it down for the good of the sport. - I would turn it down because I'm not ready, and could not only embarrass myself, but get severely injured.

I don't even care about the UFC's motives at this point. I'm just baffled at CM Punks decision to turn pro in the UFC. You still seem to think I'm hating on Brooks. I'm not. I'm trying to give him the advice he should have got before he signed with the UFC.

And there's actually a fair amount of WWE guys with legit wrestling and marital arts background. Why the UFC felt compelled to sign a broken unathletic man with no competitive combat experience is beyond me.
Ashton Kutcher, and Usher probably have the same or even more BJJ experience than Punk. And Jason Ellis has a handful of legit fights. Why not sign them if they want star power. So strange.
Most likely because CM Punk was the arguably biggest attraction in wrestling of this decade and is a huge MMA fan that's built ties to the scene while still being employed by WWE. Also because he might be one of the few people in pro wrestling that would risk ruining his image by getting smashed on a UFC PPV card.

If it was up to me I would put Punk against Bec Rawlings so Bec could finally get an easy win.

she is not fighting in the UFC anymore but guess this could be Punk next fight when he get cut

Exactly you leveraged your WWE fame for your spot. I'm OK with that, that's business. But don't act like you'd fight for 20/20 because you just love the sport SO much.

That's obvious bullshit.
In what way did he do that? He said he didn't mind being on FightPass, not that he would do it for peanuts.

Back