Closed Stores - Ghost Malls & The Like...Nostalgia

Joe Wong

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The thread about Best Buy closing got me remembering some of the stores that are no more and pictures of ghost malls.

I know a Blockbuster and Hollywood video thread pop up every now and then, but does anyone remember this one:

bu0ni164d6upepad7h7v.jpg

I use to tag along with my mom to the mall when I was younger, just so I could get a few minutes messing around with all of the interactive stuff in here. Hands down my favorite store as a kid.

Heres another that I miss seeing around:
9764475801_9aae042ac8_b.jpg

Additionally, there's just something about dead malls that make one sad:
07badc825acc5715-DSC_0264_3-2[1].jpg

heres-what-could-happen-to-americas-hundreds-of-dead-malls.jpg

Let's reminisce

The mall in my town is heading this way. Over half of the stores are now closed and walled off. The big middle section where there used to be a fountain and the focal point is completely dead.

I will only ever go to South Coast Plaza. Don't think I've ever stepped in another mall in the past 15 years. Most are just crap.

The mall in my town is heading this way. Over half of the stores are now closed and walled off. The big middle section where there used to be a fountain and the focal point is completely dead.

The Mall in my current town is still a nice hangout spot for quite a few people.

On the contrary, the mall back home in Torrance, California is expanding and thriving lol. That mall must've grown like 3x since I left.

I will only ever go to South Coast Plaza. Don't think I've ever stepped in another mall in the past 15 years. Most are just crap.

the FashionIsland mall is aight.

The spectrum is kinda decent as well, but its been a while.

Is it all due to Amazon?

Local mall by my house got raised, but stores will be back. It will be an outdoor courtyard type of establishment.

Being from SoCal I hate indoor malls. Much rather be outside somewhere. If I go anywhere anymore it's usually the Irvine Spectrum cause they have a good comedy club and a full sized IMAX and it's an outdoor mall with lots of restaurants. I may pop in South Coast Plaza from time to time since it's down the street from my work, but I hate malls. Most are shit now. Used to go to Cerritos and Westminster when I was a kid but they are just depressing now.

It's a combination of online shopping and social media. Half the people in malls used to be high school kids hanging out with friends. These days they can sit in their room and still talk to all their friends.

I hate malls. The only reason I go to the mall here is because it is the closest and ONLY chick-fil-a in Miami.

@faustian

Eek, only chick Fil a? That would suck

I really dont understand it... there are a ton of fast food chicken places around here. Seems like they would be killing it in this market.

My hate for malls is more than my love for Chick-fil-a. Needless to say, I have only been to that location twice in the last 4 years. Thankfully, there is one a few blocks from my parents house back home. I visit them twice a year, and each visit go to chick-fil-a at least three times.

Dadeland?

Yup. I am pretty sure there is one in Miami Springs or Miami Lakes (I get the confused), but I live in the Grove area, and that drive is far as fuck. Even Dadeland is annoying as hell to get to with these terrible drivers.

The thread about Best Buy closing got me remembering some of the stores that are no more and pictures of ghost malls.

I know a Blockbuster and Hollywood video thread pop up every now and then, but does anyone remember this one:

bu0ni164d6upepad7h7v.jpg

I use to tag along with my mom to the mall when I was younger, just so I could get a few minutes messing around with all of the interactive stuff in here. Hands down my favorite store as a kid.

Heres another that I miss seeing around:
9764475801_9aae042ac8_b.jpg

Additionally, there's just something about dead malls that make one sad:
07badc825acc5715-DSC_0264_3-2[1].jpg

heres-what-could-happen-to-americas-hundreds-of-dead-malls.jpg

Let's reminisce

I personally love outdoor malls better but the indoor malls were awesome as a kid it was lively and fun.

I remember sam goody and tower records, and warehouse music, and the wb store, sanrio, timeout arcade and midway games, etc

Its sad this new generation will know the enjoyment we had going to malls as kids. The indoor mall was the place to be back in the 80s and 90s. I remember on halloween we used to trick or treat in the mal it was packed.

Some of them turn into ghetto malls that look like third world swap meets.

It's easier to shop online and not deal with crowds, parking, and other negative aspects of shopping at brick and mortar stores.

It's sad because I used to have fun in the malls growing up.

Being from SoCal I hate indoor malls. Much rather be outside somewhere. If I go anywhere anymore it's usually the Irvine Spectrum cause they have a good comedy club and a full sized IMAX and it's an outdoor mall with lots of restaurants. I may pop in South Coast Plaza from time to time since it's down the street from my work, but I hate malls. Most are shit now. Used to go to Cerritos and Westminster when I was a kid but they are just depressing now.

Westminster mall is still nice, cerritos as well, Lakewood mall is okay but sometimes they attract the ghetto types and cholos, i think indoor malls peaked around 2008, after that they started losing out to internet retailers.

Some of them turn into ghetto malls that look like third world swap meets.

It's easier to shop online and not deal with crowds, parking, and other negative aspects of shopping at brick and mortar stores.

It's sad because I used to have fun in the malls growing up.

Outdoor shopping centers or strip malls are coming back, but those indoor malls are turning into ghetto swap meets around here i remember a mall i used to go to as a kid and recently passing by it was filled with mostly mexican immigrants and banda and corrido music. I didnt see any white people or blacks.

Back