Christopher Nolan is GOAT director

True or False?

• Total voters
I love all of his movies. He just might be the GOAT. You know he's doing something right by the way he triggers pretentious film students.

One of the Half In The Bag reviewers put it best: he said something like, Christopher Nolan seems to always be trying really hard to convince you that he is some kind of epic filmmaking genius, whereas a real one like Tarantino just shows it constantly, and almost effortlessly.

He's pretty damn good,but hes nowhere near the GOAT director. Not even close.

I like Nolan but I find most of his movies to be painfully overrated. Loved Memento though.

yeah, I thought Dark Knight was way overrated. I enjoyed some of the actors in it but the movie overall was so bad I still haven't seen Rises and I'm a big ole comic nerd.

Hitchcock
Kurosawa
Kubrick
Spielberg
Scorsese
Keaton
Chaplin
Lang
Curtiz
Hawks
Ford
Wilder
Bergman
Lumet
FFC
Eastwood
Tarantino
Capra
Fellini
Renoir
Bunuel
Truffaut
Huston
Ozu
Scott isn't as consistent, but he has more quality movies
Leone if he made more movies

Him and Fincher are close, but it's too early to put them up that high.
REALITY POST

TRUTH HURTS

One of the Half In The Bag reviewers put it best: he said something like, Christopher Nolan seems to always be trying really hard to convince you that he is some kind of epic filmmaking genius, whereas a real one like Tarantino just shows it constantly, and almost effortlessly.
I dont think that's fair. I actually really like his movies. I just dont see anything that beats a guy on Tarantino's level...but thats not a knock against him,or saying he is a try hard.

He makes good, fun pop corn films. He hasn't really made anything of importance or substance though.

Depends on what you like, though. Everyone saying he is overrated etc, must realise that art by it's nature, is subjective.

Batman begins was good. The dark knight was good the first time. But it's not that rewatchable.

The rest is mostly just okay or very overrated and boring.

Dark knight rises was just a bad movie. 3 hours long with 15 minutes of Batman..wtf

• Dark Knight trilogy with the GOAT superhero movie (Dark Knight)
  • Inception
  • Interstellar
  • The Prestige
  • Momento
  • Insomnia

Soon to come, Dunkirk (probably GOAT war movie)

It's still early too, I'm awaiting another 10 masterpieces in the next decade.

Brah.
giphy.gif

• Dark Knight trilogy with the GOAT superhero movie (Dark Knight)
  • Inception
  • Interstellar
  • The Prestige
  • Momento
  • Insomnia

Soon to come, Dunkirk (probably GOAT war movie)

It's still early too, I'm awaiting another 10 masterpieces in the next decade.
I think it could be argued that these guys are better directors than Nolan.
giphy.gif

Dark knight rises was just a bad movie. 3 hours long with 15 minutes of Batman..wtf
It wasnt bad,but definitley could have been alot shorter.

Plus whats the deal with Bane being killed in such an anticlimax?

He's definitely not a can. But he's also not even close to the GOAT.

There's no doubt that he's one of the best directors working today, but when I say that, I'm taking into account that there are many, many directors who are working in some form, most of which no one here has even heard of. I'd say Nolan is definitely Top 50. Maybe Top 30.

The Prestige is probably his best film. Inception is a close second.

The Dark Knight trilogy is definitely solid, but a bit overrated. Memento is very good, but not especially rewatchable. Interstellar has strokes of genius, but also serious problems that should not be there considering his ability.

SP you're the only other one I've ever seen that agrees with me about The Prestige being Nolans best. It's damn near perfect imo. And very different from his other work. The pacing and editing of the prestige is to me an example of nolan getting it right. It's a slow burn, but not too drawn out or too long. Almost feels boring but there's just enough early on to keep u hooked. Then he hits u with like 20 holy crap moments, lol. Plus i love the line "are u watching closely?" That's toying with ur audience in a good way. Cutting from entering a black hole to watching corn burn is the opposite of that.

He's a modern day Ridley Scott.

Cant say goat because some scenes are really bad, espeically in tdkr, or the shooting scenes in Inception

I would say Nolan is better than Scott. Scott has made a few excellent films and a ton of shit.

Back