China cracks down on bad English on signs

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
China will introduce a national standard for the use of English language on public signage, in its latest bid to say farewell to widely mocked – and often widely loved – poor translations and "Chinglish".

The new policy, which comes into effect on December 1, will establish guidelines for English translations in 13 areas, including transport, health care, education and financial services.

It will also include standardized translations for 3,500 commonly used phrases for public information, as well as names of famous food dishes from mooncakes to daoxiao noodles and bean curd, a government press release said on Wednesday.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/22/china-cracks-down-on-bad-english-in-signs.html
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/22/china-cracks-down-on-bad-english-in-signs.html
a841RYp_700b.jpg

Picture taken from this thread: Sniffing Glue Won't Keep Families Together http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sniffing-glue-wont-keep-families-together.3310079/

Articles talks about road signs and food but TS provides pictures of T-shirt.. Wazzup with that?

I have seen ridiculous English on their Menus but is too lazy to upload pictures from my HP. Give me a minute to google up some shit.

Last edited:
I bet it's the same for all of the Chinese characters tattooed on our womenz (and dudes). I'm sure of it.

Anyone up for a three silk soup idea powder? Or Fuck to burn the of?

Peharps some Cooksand? or The week beats the fish soup?

FYI, I'm Chinese, I could translate if you guys want to know what the dishes really are.

Last edited:
Toronto needs to do this. For example, one of our Chinese malls is called Splended China Tower. Its 2 storeys. One of my fav Thai places is Eat Bangkok. Oh, and 1 out of every 3 variety stores have smh worthy signs.

FYI, I'm Chinese, I could translate if you guys want to know what the dishes really are.

Please do. I am completely baffled at what they had to put in a translator to get those.

** Edited with correct meanings **

Exit this way

ce15de2498ca888e1707fcff7c6d29e2.jpg

This sign is probably trying to be humorous.
The Grass are resting
Please do not disturb

1f05a062c05310295aeea8752a66ddba--funny-chinese-lost-in-translation.jpg

Please call the police if you are missing items, don't panic.

slipcarefully-300x207.jpg

This is direct translation probably. It's basically trying to warn us that the floor is slippery.

542514_5758c1fb194040629be02b09281f79a1.jpg

Floor is slippery
Beware of falling snows from roof

Cliff

Well, I don't think I need to explain this.

Dry cleaning room.

Last edited:
Are they wearing these ironically? Or do they genuinely not know the difference?

Please do. I am completely baffled at what they had to put in a translator to get those.

Pretty sure they didn't use a translator. They probably got someone with basic English to write down the words for their Menu.

Anything that you see "Fuck" in it is actually Dry. The Chinese Character 干, is also used as a cursed word in Chinese Dialect, as Screw or Screw you. Probably why it came out as Fuck in the menu.

The "Sand" are actually Salads. So Egg "Sand" becomes, Egg Salads, Fresh Fruit "Sand" becomes Fresh Fruit Salads, Cook "Sand" actually means Chef's Specialty Salads from what I can best translate to.

Fuck the Burn of“ - Zero idea where "the" "of" came about..
As mentioned their Fuck is actually Dry.
It's actually Dry Stirred Noodle.

Why get rid of it? That's one of the best things about china. Girls wearing shirts that say "whore" and stuff.

I saw a sign in the hospital that actually said "cunt exam room"....

3063790.jpg

Please Do Not Shout

d83b2bc41d45175f0b4fabb883544e31.jpg

Please use train gantry
MRT Cards

chinese-sign1.jpg

Lets protect the nature together!

funny-chinese-english-translation-1.jpg

Adult items; probably means sex toys? Not very sure about this.

sign-in-china.jpg

Dry products; See? Dry appears again as Fuck.

362739.jpg

Exit

hilarious_lost_in_translation_signs_58.jpg

Treasure life
Please do not jump over the railings

The Chinese matches more or less with the english for this one.

funny-chinese-english-translation-1.jpg

Adult items; probably means sex toys? Not very sure about this.

成人用品 is definitely sex toys, although they usually say 情趣用品。These shops are everywhere in China, can only conclude Chinese are horny af.

I'm yet to see a really good one like "fuck the price of goods" :( Most T-shirts and stuff are just random words that don't mean anything.

The Chinese matches more or less with the english for this one.

成人用品 is definitely sex toys, although they usually say 情趣用品。These shops are everywhere in China, can only conclude Chinese are horny af

Yep. If we directly translate the words, It's telling us to Jump of the Cliff. But some things can't be directly translated I guess. Are you Chinese as well?

Yep. If we directly translate the words, It's telling us to Jump of the Cliff. But some things can't be directly translated I guess. Are you Chinese as well?

Just a Chinese-speaking foreigner. 别以为 ang moh FT 不会讲华语 :p

Last edited:
i would totally wear the, "i feel happiness when i eat a potato" shirt. Its fucking hilarious.

Last edited:
Back