Chael to Uriah "You're a contender for the title..."

So because he's beating guys from TUF means he can beat top guys in the UFC heh. People said the same about Lombard when he crushed everyone in Bellator.

The point isn't that "people" are saying this about Hall...it's not like Chael is just some fan or just some sherdogger, he's a savvy professional fighter who knows a lot about the game and what it takes to get (near) the top. It seems to me that his opinion should at least be considered to carry some kind of weight, even if he's wrong.

no I do not think he is even a top 10 contender. Philippou beat him and he's number #10 in the world

all it takes is the right time and place to be a contender. yall do realize that the top 5 or so guys are all contenders. If Dan Hardy can get a title shot Hall can too. It just depends how the ufc decides to pair Hall up

I think we have to see Uriah vs a top grappler that doesn't get KTFO in the first round before we can see if he's a true contender or not.

If Ronda really kicked his ass in grappling, he's gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:
no I do not think he is even a top 10 contender. Philippou beat him and he's number #10 in the world

Over two years ago. Philippou has made leaps and bounds since then, who's to say Hall hasn't kept pace or even surpassed him? Multiple guys have come out of TUF with a way better skill set than what they had going into it, and from what I've seen so far Sonnen seems like an excellent coach and motivator.

If Hall wins TUF I'd love to see this rematch, though it's more than likely that the UFC will feed him at least three fighters before he gets anywhere near the top fifteen.

Hall has clearly shown is a a serious fighter and contender on the TUF scale. This seems to be the most talented group of TUF fighters we have seen on a show and Hall is dispatching them with minimal effort. It is difficult to make a thorough assessment of him when he is being compared to other TUF members on a daily basis. So, does he appear to have some serious potential? Yes! is he a hype train I would toss a few greenbacks on right now? No! Assuming he wins TUF he should then be tested against someone like Derek Brunson. If he beats Brunson it will get him more experience and training time and then toss him against Cung or (The Ace) to see what direction he will really go.

So because he's beating guys from TUF means he can beat top guys in the UFC heh.

You could have said the same thing about Anderson Silva after he beat Chris Leben. Not that I'm saying Hall is as good as Anderson, but the fact that the TUF guys aren't at his level doesn't mean he's not awesome. Bubba is good enough for JBJ to want to train with, and he couldn't even go :10 with Hall.

Another Anderson Silva analogy (and no, I'm not saying Hall is even in Anderson's league, just making an analogy) - this would have been like saying before he entered the UFC that Silva isn't a top-10 guy because he once lost to Yushin Okami. It's way too early to figure out where Hall is. But I agree with some of the other guys in this thread - guys like Chael and Dana, who have spent years and years up close with the very best fighters in the world, obviously see something special in him.

We may not have seen his grappling yet, but Chael obviously has, and so have the rest of the guys in the house who are afraid to fight him.

As the UFC has grown we have seen that it takes a few years for TUF winners to flourish (Roy Nelson and Jon Dodson being notable exceptions).

I'm interested to see how they promote Hall after the show.

It was probably felt great hearing that. Chael is just trying to help Uriah build more confidence.

KOing people on TUF doesn't make you a contender, but Chael also trained with him all that time so I'll be interested to see how he does in the UFC

It was probably felt great hearing that. Chael is just trying to help Uriah build more confidence.

KOing people on TUF doesn't make you a contender, but Chael also trained with him all that time so I'll be interested to see how he does in the UFC

I think he meant it, Uriah is just that good.

He could be in the future.
So far, probably not.
Or we need at least to confirm it with fights against better guys

Translation Chael is easily impressed. :icon_chee Watch film and pick out all the flaws you see in your game and tell yourself are you ready to fight a champion. I think a few years he will be champ. He need to work on footwork and ground game primarily. He soaks things up like a sponge so he should be good if he works on it.

If Ronda really kicked his ass in grappling, he's gonna have a bad time.

You're right. If an Olympic Medalist can out grapple him in training at less than full strength when she's showing him the moves, he's gonna have a tough time.

Back