Chael to Uriah "You're a contender for the title..."

Philosofight

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this? I know Chael is famous for his overblown claims and exaggerations, but when he settles down, he's actually a very insightful, no-nonsense, kinda guy. I had the feeling when I heard that, that he was 100 percent genuine, and not JUST trying to be a good, motivational, coach.

Two (obviously related) questions: What do you guys think of Chael's assessment of Uriah? Do you think that he will really make an impact in the UFC?

I think we have to see Uriah vs a top grappler that doesn't get KTFO in the first round before we can see if he's a true contender or not.

^This. We've yet to see him get put on his back.

I think we have to see Uriah vs a top grappler that doesn't get KTFO in the first round before we can see if he's a true contender or not.

Yep, Weidman beat him a while back so, what he said^^^^^^

Grappling is a question. But against Anderson grappling is irrelevant. It's all about if his stand up is good enough. I hope it is, cause he is scary.

I think he's making a statement I hope they don't baby him along like what they have done with tuf champs of the past

So because he's beating guys from TUF means he can beat top guys in the UFC heh. People said the same about Lombard when he crushed everyone in Bellator.

That sounds right. But Chael MUST have seen something in practice sessions that leads him to believe that Uriah is at least adequate from his back if he's making those kinds of claims.

Uriah is definitely a scary dude, and a fucking animal when it comes to the striking. His timing is just ridiculous. He's also, as Rogan would say, "the right kind of crazy".

However, there have been plenty of people who have been destroyers on TUF and then hardly set the world on fire once they hit the UFC.

We'll see, but Uriah does seem to have a LOT of potential.

Who has this guy beat of importance,

no one really, but the way in which he beats people coupled with his athleticism, work ethic, and skillset make him an intriguing addition to the UFC MW division. Chael is also a guy who has been in the sport for a long time and recognize's talent.

Chael then corrected himself and said "In 5 years you can be a contender" right after.

So because he's beating guys from TUF means he can beat top guys in the UFC heh. People said the same about Lombard when he crushed everyone in Bellator.

.. Lombard clearly has the capability of beating top guys in the UFC. He lost a controversial decision, a 29:28, and made Palhares look ridiculous.

Terrible example

^This. We've yet to see him get put on his back.

We don't need to see how he works off his back/against a wrestler. He needs to fight strikers before going up against one of the greatest MMA strikers of all time.

I think what Chael was trying to convey was that Uriah has the talent and the potential to be a contender not so much that he'll be a contender right away.

most guys could end up being a contender after the show

i see Kelvin becoming one of the best in the MW division at some point

Chael then corrected himself and said "In 5 years you can be a contender" right after.

That is not AT ALL what he said. He said "I tell you, I spent five years in that weight class and you're a contender."

Back