Chael Sonnen: "That fight knocked years off Junior dos Santos' life and career"

Isn't it illegal for MMA fighter corners to throw the towel?

That's during the round, witch could cause a dq. Still stopping the fight. But there is no rule against corner men stopping in between rounds, witch is what I belive sonnon to be referring to.

I love Chael but come on now.

if anyone can finish a fight out of nowhere, it's JDS......he was still hitting Cain with hard blows in the 4th and 5th round......

It's so easy to look back and say that he had no chance.....but can you imagine the backlash if the corner man has actually stopped it.

Can't win either way.

You are missing the point.

Ali and Frazier were still trying to finish one another in their legendary bout the Thrilla in Manila when the fight was stopped. Frazier had reported lost his hearing and Ali was beaten as close to death as he has ever been by his own words.

The fact that JDS or Fabio Maldonado (in the Teixeira fight) are still dangerous and willing to go on is no reason to allow them to take such horrific career shortening abuse even if it pisses off the Just Bleed fans who think these guys are video game characters.

if anyone can finish a fight out of nowhere, it's JDS......he was still hitting Cain with hard blows in the 4th and 5th round......

It's so easy to look back and say that he had no chance.....but can you imagine the backlash if the corner man has actually stopped it.

Can't win either way.

I don't recall to much backlash when b's corner stopped his 2nd GSP fight.

BS. It ain't over until its over. I've seen fighters come back from worse beatings.

Sometimes fighters need to be protected from themselves. In about the last 40 minutes of these two fighting, there has been absolute domination that left JDS battered and, as he revealed later, with short term memory loss. Chael is right, and that doesn't speak poorly to anyone, especially JDS.

BTW, who has taken a worse beating than that and come back? Just curious.

Ali and Frazier were still trying to finish one another in their legendary bout the Thrilla in Manila when the fight was stopped. Frazier had reported lost his hearing and Ali was beaten as close to death as he has ever been by his own words.

The fact that JDS or Fabio Maldonado (in the Teixeira fight) are still dangerous and willing to go on is no reason to allow them to take such horrific career shortening abuse even if it pisses off the Just Bleed fans who think these guys are video game characters.

Damn I forgot about that Maldonado / Teixeira fight. That fight was freaking brutal

Can't argue one way or the other as I didn't see the fight. While its probably true, if you are Dana and the UFC do you really want Sonnen coming out and saying in a UFC sponsored fight, that the fight took years off of JDS? Dana always says how safe the UFC is.

Dana is not as good at hype and propaganda as he thinks he is.

Can't win either way.

Backlash from who? Sherdog? Like they give a shit about that. Even Dana said he thought it should have ended in the 3rd. Really that is the only backlash that they should worry about. The only people that would have complained are idiots that don't care about the wellbeing of the fighter.

I agree but Dos Santos actually is a video game character.

Not sure about that, but at least during the break between rounds they could call it. It rarely happens as these guys are such warriors, but I think they can make the decision not to answer the bell.

Fighting is a rough, rough sport.

That's during the round, witch could cause a dq. Still stopping the fight. But there is no rule against corner men stopping in between rounds, witch is what I belive sonnon to be referring to.

Thanks for the clarification

Don't know if it is illegal, I know the Diaz corner threw in the towel.

Nate-Diaz-corner-throws-in-the-towel-against-Josh-Thomson.gif

I may have to go back and watch it again, because I don't recall the beating being THAT bad. JDS was getting hurt but recovering reasonably well. As someone who was rooting for Cain, I felt scared the entire time that JDS was going to knock him out, he's a dangerous guy and I felt he was dangerous right up to the bitter end. I understand the seriousness of head trauma, but I feel like stopping that fight earlier than it was would have kind of been cheating Junior out of the opportunity to get the win.

I don't know, if I watch it again, maybe I'll change my tune.

Back