Chael Sonnen: "That fight knocked years off Junior dos Santos' life and career"

Lexomatik

Green Belt
Reaction score
That fight I felt bad for Dos Santos and hope he doesn't have any long term head injuries later in life. This is one of the rare times that it was hard for me to watch the fight because I felt terrible for what the fighter is enduring

20130426_jla_aa9_136.0_standard_709.0.jpg

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/27/5034720/ufc-167-chael-sonnen-titles-tuf-brazil-vitor-belfort-rashad-evans-jds-anderson-silva
Junior dos Santos' corner man needs to be cut, period. That was beyond inappropriate, that they sent him back out there. The doctor came in twice. I have no idea what that doctor was looking for. The referee didn't stop the fight, though he should have. Ultimately it defaults to your corner man, who you trust, who is like a father figure, and that guy let Junior dos Santos down, period. The commission licenses these corner men. I don't have the foggiest idea why; maybe they just want their $25. That should be the first corner man that should be suspended, that was wrong what he did.

I would like to say this, you do not stop the fight when your fighter can no longer continue, you stop the fight when your fighter can no longer win. The second that your guy can't win you get him out of there. That fight should have been stopped way earlier. That fight knocked years off Junior dos Santos' life and career, that corner man should be fired

agreed

chael P 4 prez

there was one point in the third where Dod Santos just dropped to the floor like a felled tree

Chael cares about the well-being of JDS and his career. Another "Sonnen hates all Brazilians" myth busted.

there mustve been a heavy price for those two back to back beatings. second one worse than the first. take a break and get some tune ups if he has to continue fighting

Chael cares about the well-being of JDS and his career. Another "Sonnen hates all Brazilians" myth busted.

Only ignorant ppl can't see Chael and his antics for what they are.

Isn't it illegal for MMA fighter corners to throw the towel?

Chael was right somehow.

Where's the joke? Chael used to be a funny guy...

I think so. It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard. But it effectively works because it counts as a disqualification.

During the fight, yes, it would result in DQ.

But if his corner stops the fight while they are in the break (BJ Penn vs. GSP like) it's ok.

I didn't get to see this fight but from what I heard it sounds like Chael is mostly right.

BS. It ain't over until its over. I've seen fighters come back from worse beatings.

Only ignorant ppl can't see Chael and his antics for what they are.

Lol, everyone is well aware that Chael plays to the camera and is very charismatic, but that doesn't mean everything he says is fluff.. Only ignorant people would think that. I highly doubt this was a vague attempt of some sort to win over a couple Brazilian fans.

Parroting what Uncle Dana wants him to say, he must have his hand pretty far up Chaels arse.

Agreed. It was painful to watch him get brutalized after he was done. Juniors has no give up in him, his corner should have known better.

Back