Chael Sonnen: "That fight knocked years off Junior dos Santos' life and career"

Again Chael running his mouth, all he wants to do is annoy people and he is ffaanntastic at it.

Hope SHAD puts the STAMP on Fail Sonnen

Hint: Sonnen was involved in it.

Silva was getting beaten, but he took nowhere near the damage that JDS did, or Maldonado(Texeira), or Penn(Nick Diaz/Rory Macdonald). Serious damage/injury is what we're talking about here, not getting beaten soundly. Anderson wasn't in that kind of danger, he was just losing.

Yet what do ppl say about bj penn for his corner stopping the second gsp fight

I disagree with Sonnen. JDS had a chance to win the entire time. A better example of what Sonnen was talking about is Penn/GSP 2 and it was stopped. Penn had no chance to win. The ref, the doctors, cornermen, they knew the deal and are in a better place to make the decision. Sonnen just getting as much attention as possible trying to come off as if he really cares. We all love JDS and that was hard to watch but this was one of the biggest fights in the history of the sport. JDS is a fighter and these things can happen. He knew the deal as well.

I have to disagree, the onus is on the ref and the doctor imo. There would have been uproar if they threw in the towel. They could have asked Junior between rounds, but beyond that I think the biggest mistake of his corner was in the preparation for the fight.

I love Chael but come on now.

if anyone can finish a fight out of nowhere, it's JDS......he was still hitting Cain with hard blows in the 4th and 5th round......

It's so easy to look back and say that he had no chance.....but can you imagine the backlash if the corner man has actually stopped it.

Can't win either way.

Come on now. He wasn't coming back. Herb Dean was looking to stop in in the third, you could just tell. It's a credit to JDS that it went on as long as it did. His cornermen should have stopped that fight. That's what they're there for, to protect their fighter.

I may have to go back and watch it again, because I don't recall the beating being THAT bad. JDS was getting hurt but recovering reasonably well. As someone who was rooting for Cain, I felt scared the entire time that JDS was going to knock him out, he's a dangerous guy and I felt he was dangerous right up to the bitter end. I understand the seriousness of head trauma, but I feel like stopping that fight earlier than it was would have kind of been cheating Junior out of the opportunity to get the win.

I don't know, if I watch it again, maybe I'll change my tune.

I stopped worrying after Cain got hit hard in the beginning. I figured if he took that punch and didn't fall, he's not falling unless JDS hits him like that continuously, which I figured he wouldn't. I felt JDS really didn't change his strategy all that much after I watched the JDS-Hunt fight. JDS kept moving to the cage any time Hunt moved forward. JDS really didn't learn how to counter Cain's strategy. I understand JDS used the cage to help him from getting taking down.

But I honestly have to give it to Cain. He's a beast. Fedor said he likes how Cain transitions smoothly. It's so true. One moment, Cain is punching you, then he's trying to take you down, then you're in the clinch. I haven't seen anyone in the HW division keep that kind of pace or transition so well. Keep up the great work, Cain.

The fight should have been stopped in the third after JDS got rocked. JDS gave up in round 2.

Remember when BJ penn failed to make the bell in the GSP fight? I cant even fanthom the amount of shit that would have been spewed about Junior if he called it quits.

Yea the fight should have been stopped, BY THE REF. There's always the 'what if' aspect when it comes down to corner throwing in the towel.

But as it happened, doctors and referee's thought junior still had a chance, which is most likley the case with power punchers.

I like Dana's approach better, JDS is just to tough for his own good. End of story. It ultimatly comes down to the fighter, JDS wanted to continue knowing the risks. So the fight continued.

Remember when BJ penn failed to make the bell in the GSP fight? I cant even fanthom the amount of shit that would have been spewed about Junior if he called it quits.

Yea the fight should have been stopped, BY THE REF. There's always the 'what if' aspect when it comes down to corner throwing in the towel.

But as it happened, doctors and referee's thought junior still had a chance, which is most likley the case with power punchers.

I like Dana's approach better, JDS is just to tough for his own good. End of story. It ultimatly comes down to the fighter, JDS wanted to continue knowing the risks. So the fight continued.

No it ultimately comes down to his corner... No fighter like Jds will quit, that decision need to be made by people who have his best interest at heart...his corner!

Yeah.

I'm a huge JDS fan, but after he got dropped by the right he was just on auto-pilot taking more of an ass whooping. A good fighter will never give up and never stop trying, but they have a corner there that is supposed to say when. You can't count on a fighter saying, "no, I'm done", that's not their nature, not what got them to that point in their career.

Only ignorant ppl can't see Chael and his antics for what they are.

Could you explain what his antics are in this particular circumstance? I must be ignorant, because it seems like he's making a fairly straightforward comment.

Yet what do ppl say about bj penn for his corner stopping the second gsp fight

Who cares what people say? Penn was done and taking a very severe beating. He's too tough to quit, so sometimes you have to have someone make an unpopular call for your own good.

I love Chael but come on now.

if anyone can finish a fight out of nowhere, it's JDS......he was still hitting Cain with hard blows in the 4th and 5th round......

It's so easy to look back and say that he had no chance.....but can you imagine the backlash if the corner man has actually stopped it.

Can't win either way.

Even if Junior had a 5% chance of pulling it out, it's still not worth the damage he's taking.

I actually think Chael is at a all time low here. Just very disrespectful and full of it for his own cause. What's new?

Isn't it illegal for MMA fighter corners to throw the towel?

Apparently not Dana was asked if he could have stopped the fight? He said I don't know its not something I thought of before from my standpoint. It was something alone these lines when Dana questioned why the fight was allowed to continue. Dana said I have great deal of respect for Juniors toughness but that fight should have been stopped. I think a corner man can stop a fight if he/she decides his/hers fighter cannot continue? The only oddity that I have seen not to long ago was a fighter begging to stop a fight. He eventually jumped the fence and walked away. I think it can be stopped but not sure?

I actually think Chael is at a all time low here. Just very disrespectful and full of it for his own cause. What's new?

What Chael said is honorable, what jds corner did was disrespectful and full their own cause.

Back