Chael Sonnen defends GSP's decision to vacate the belt

Fuck GSP haters. Arguably the worst people on Sherdog.
People that ignore facts to blindly support fighters are the worst. GSP held up MW for 12 months before the fight. Jesus Christ people!

People that ignore facts to blindly support fighters are the worst. GSP held up MW for 12 months before the fight. Jesus Christ people!

^^^^GSP hater who's

761988.jpg

didnt he hold the division up for more than a year with his fight with bisbing

didnt he hold the division up for more than a year with his fight with bisbing

Bisping held up the division, not GSP. Bisping was the only one with the capability and responsibility to defend the belt. Bisping's not defending can't be put on anyone besides Bisping.

He has a health condition that isn't going to allow him to fight at MW. He has never turned down any challenge and has always defended his belt. If he was to sit and wait and try and get healthy he would be holding up the division, and if he was to do that, we know all you haters would cry about that, but instead you're crying that he did the right thing by letting a suffering division move along. Just like Conor fans, there is no winning and no reasoning.

Vacating the belt is literally turning down a challenge and not defending the belt.

He vacated the belt because he had no interest in fighting Whitaker. He didn't show interest in fighting Weidman or Rockhold either. He came out of retirement to move up to MW right when Bisping became champion. Despite signing a contract saying he would defend the MW belt. Despite saying in the past that if he moved up to MW, it would have to be a permanent move. He vacated the belt after beating Bisping.

The haters will hate either way. No matter what, we know this. But the rational MMA fans wouldn't have a problem waiting for GSP to recover IF he was intending to defend his MW strap. Whitaker wouldn't have a problem waiting either if GSP was intending to defend as it would be a big payday for him. Rational MMA fans would have a problem if GSP held the MW belt while deciding to fight McGregor or Woodley. Thus holding up the MW division. Because GSP wasn't planning to defend MW belt or fight Whitaker, he vacated the belt.

Still one of the greatest fighters of all time, but lets call it what it is. GSP was being opportunistic with his move to MW.

GSP did the right thing...

And to be frank, if we see Georges fight again, I want to see it at 170... he looked slow and bloated... not the same fighter. I would rather see him in the ring against some damn tough WW's, then getting rag dolled by the bigger guys @ 185.

I don't blindly support him, I respect his legendary career.

I also realize that championship belts are an imaginary concept.

You don't have to hold up the division or vacate the belt. You can just fight the contender.

Yes, with an incurable disease that you haven't learned to live with yet or learned how it will affect your training.

Smart as fuck! I recommend it to everyone.

Cold hard truth....Gsp knew he could become a 2 division champ and enhancing his legacy by defeating a gatekeeper....we've yet to see an official title defense in 185 division since UFC 194.Thats sad.
What's going on in lightweight division should be unacceptable. That's sad.
This is the UFC. They're opening up 3rd and 4th divisions in wmma and letting guys like Gegard and Rory go.
That's sad.
What is this no official title defense bull everyone keeps crying about. The title was won, then it was defended. technically, officially this is what happend. It will go down in the record books and down in history. So no official title defense crap needs to stop. Was it a defense against a top rated fighter? no it wasnt. Was it against a dangerous fighter who could at any moment knock most other fighters out? Yes it was. Regardless Bisping was A champion, not the champion we all wanted but A champion none the less. And GSP Finished him. Put him the fuck to sleep. Not just rode out a long boring decision like everyone bitched he would do.

Well yeah. Conor still considers himself the FW champ too ffs. I have no problem with GSP vacating after getting Bisping out of there rather than running around calling himself "champ champ" despite never defending. Neither GSP nor Bisping is the best MW in the world, so the division can go on as it normally would.

Yes, with an incurable disease that you haven't learned to live with yet or learned how it will affect your training.

Smart as fuck! I recommend it to everyone.

So you're saying GSP will never fight again?

There is a slight possibility. But if he was to stay and try and continue at 185 it would be 100% guarantee that he would never fight. But hey, let's call call him something he has never been and hate on him because he's letting a division move along.

I'm saying there's a good possibility, and even if he does fight again it will be after months or more of figuring out how his illness affects him, trial and error with meds, etc etc, and I'm saying that I'd rather GSP vacate than hold the belt hostage while he figures out his health.

Last edited:
Read the post again and you'll see that it does not say that. GSP obviously doesn't know how his illness is going to affect him, but it is possible that he'll never fight again. I guess you're half right. We'll have to wait and see how he deals with it and hope he comes back to beat Woodley and take his rightful place as WW champ.

Nah, they’re the 2nd worst and only exist because of the unreasonable fanboys.
That's bullshit. GSP has always had haters, even when they literally had no reason.

Some people are just assholes.

I'm saying there's a good possibility, and even if he does it will be after months or more of figuring out how his illness affects him, trial and error with meds, etc etc, and I'm saying that I'd rather GSP vacate than hold the belt hostage while he figures out his health.

Ok, but if he fights again, he can fight. So he can return to MW.

Back