Chael Sonnen defends GSP's decision to vacate the belt

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
OH SNAP.....

This is SURE to trigger BOTH GSP haters and McGregor fans.

"You have TWELVE months of headlines. twelve months of photo-ops, twelve months of building that image of walking around with that title over your shoulder. Twelve months of talk, and stopping an ENTIRE DIVISION in its tracks.

Guys that are sacrificing, trying to reach goals, laying in bed at night, dreaming to be champion. You can stop it all, and do it for twelve months before anyone says a word about it. That's one option, OR there's the SECOND option, which is what Georges did.

Instead of stopping the division for an entire year, (Georges says), "I'm going to turn it (The title) over, and let the boys get on with it."

-Chael Sonnen

Chael says this was more of an experiment for GSP than anything else, and that although he was successful, he knows that this is not his true division.

And......Here......We.....Go!

<Goldie11><Goldie11><Goldie11>

You don't have to hold up the division or vacate the belt. You can just fight the contender.

At least GSP gave up the belt rather than hold the division hostage. Conor should really do the same.

As long as the train keeps moving i don't really care, it's the stalling that kills me.

Fuck GSP haters. Arguably the worst people on Sherdog.

You don't have to hold up the division or vacate the belt. You can just fight the contender.

He has a health condition that isn't going to allow him to fight at MW. He has never turned down any challenge and has always defended his belt. If he was to sit and wait and try and get healthy he would be holding up the division, and if he was to do that, we know all you haters would cry about that, but instead you're crying that he did the right thing by letting a suffering division move along. Just like Conor fans, there is no winning and no reasoning.

GSP came, saw and conquered. We all know deep in our hearts whether or not some like to admit it, he is the one....
33or8le_zpsad492488.jpg

Chael is well past his sell-by date. Not sure anybody gives a shit.

But it's true, GSP did a good deed by vacating quickly.

And a better deed by getting Bisping the fuck outta there so the division can move on.

We should expect a plumber's bill from GSP any day now.

OH SNAP.....

"You have TWELVE months of headlines. twelve months of photo-ops, twelve months of building that image of walking around with that title over your shoulder. Twelve months of talk, and stopping an ENTIRE DIVISION in its tracks.

Guys that are sacrificing, trying to reach goals, laying in bed at night, dreaming to be champion. You can stop it all, and do it for twelve months before anyone says a word about it. That's one option, OR there's the SECOND option, which is what Georges did.

Instead of stopping the division for an entire year, (Georges says), "I'm going to turn it (The title) over, and let the boys get on with it."

-Chael Sonnen

Chael says this was more of an experiment for GSP than anything else, and that although he was successful, he knows that this is not his true division.

FOOK Chael!!!B3253EE7-BC08-48C1-94FA-7FDE3C66D078.jpeg
He is right you know....

But
Fook him sideways anyway.

Chael is well past his sell-by date. Not sure anybody gives a shit.

But it's true, GSP did a good deed by vacating quickly.

And a better deed by getting Bisping the fuck outta there so the division can move on.

We should expect a plumber's bill from GSP any day now.
Lol
Georges “the rush plumber” St Pierre.

Sounds good to me.

It was just an experiment. After 4 years off. With no tune up fights. Multiple knee surgeries later. Went up in weight. Fought a champion, (maybe not THE champion in many eyes but A champion can we at least agree on that?), Perhaps was sick and not even at his best. And still FINISHED his opponent in a way no one imagined. GSP is the man. Or at least one of THE men? <Moves>

Cold hard truth....Gsp knew he could become a 2 division champ and enhancing his legacy by defeating a gatekeeper....we've yet to see an official title defense in 185 division since UFC 194.Thats sad.
What's going on in lightweight division should be unacceptable. That's sad.
This is the UFC. They're opening up 3rd and 4th divisions in wmma and letting guys like Gegard and Rory go.
That's sad.

12 months? i'm pretty sure Conor has been out for more than that, why he wasn't stripped? i'd say has been more than 400 days already, could be wrong

giphy.gif

Can't believe I'm playing Devil's advocate on this one, but Chael will stand up for GSP on just about anything.

Weirdly, he's also right about GSP 99% of the time. One of the few things he calls correct reliably.

It was obvious that GSP wasn't comfortable at 185 in that fight, looked slow and his cardio wasn't there.

The point Chael makes about GSP doing the honourable thing and not milking the situation is spot on....and will be lost on the trolls.

Can't believe I'm playing Devil's advocate on this one, but Chael will stand up for GSP on just about anything.

Weirdly, he's also right about GSP 99% of the time. One of the few things he calls correct reliably.

He's trained / sparred with GSP, and says that he is indeed the Best Ever.

It's probably out of respect. GSP has been doing it the right way for years.

OH SNAP.....

-Chael Sonnen

He held up he division 12 months before the fight, then only for 33 days after.

Back