Chael Sonnen Calls To End Five Round Fights

Another terribly stupid statement from a guy who has made more than he can count.

5 round fights force fighters to get into better condition(if they have any aspirations of championship reigns), which logically should follow that the sport as a whole will result in better conditioned athletes on average.
Separates the men from the boys at the top of the ladder.

He got good cardio that is for sure, but he Always put a hard pace and throw shit tons of ground and pound... He usually were very tired by the end of the third round. He Always push the pace and obviously would Always pay the price going championship rounds if his oponente keep himself in the match.
true, but most of the time, if you throw good GmP, your opponent will be in equal or worse shape.

I love the idea of a straight 15 minute fight but the entire scoring system and pay structure would need to change.

The fight would obviously be judged as a whole and the God-awful 10 point must system could finally die. Damage and aggression would need to be prioritized above all else. Then, the fighters would need to get a base pay and a major bonus for the finish. For example, a fighter who would normally make 50k to show + 50k to win should have their pay structure changed to 10k to show + 90k to finish their opponent.

Fighters would need to be encouraged to finish their opponent and there would be nothing to be gained by lay and pray or wall and stall tactics.

This would be amazing.

Other combat sports aren't uniform in their duration. Boxing certainly isn't. I've been to a few BJJ tourneys and they can change from tourney to tourney (so can the rules). Anyone know if Sambo is always the same duration (I admit I have no idea)? Really just don't see his point. Back before all main events went to 5 rounds (only title fights were) I remember people pining for longer Main Events, because 3 rounds didn't always settle it.

Back