Chael Sonnen Calls To End Five Round Fights

Ironic he lost fight of he's life from Silva in fifth round after winning up to that checkpoint.

Sonnen not fair an balance with this new opinion.

It’s a random interesting idea to think about, but no it wouldn’t be better.

If anything all fights need to be 5 rounds.
I would even be down for a more boxing style 12 rounds but shorter.

3 rounds is not enough time at all to tell who is the better fighter or athlete. In 3 round if there is any point deduction or anything like that then the fight instantly is a no-win situation for one fighter.

Kickboxing fights are very short and almost nobody gives a fuck about them (I do), because that just leads to endless rematches and draws.
15 minutes is actually a lot of time for a fight

In order to properly test Chael's hypothesis that three rounders are more exciting, we'd need a per capita comparison of five rounders vs three rounders. The error he's making in saying that there's far less exciting five round fights is that there's FAR more three round fights. Maybe he took this into account, I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like it. That being said, he's a professional fighter so he has firsthand knowledge of the process.

I find it odd that people bash Chael for his opinion...
heck, Chael always came with good conditioning, so it is obviously not because he can't make (5 rounds).

People trying to claim his gas tank is anywhere close to COnor's just show they haven't been around long enough to watch Chael in his prime.
He got good cardio that is for sure, but he Always put a hard pace and throw shit tons of ground and pound... He usually were very tired by the end of the third round. He Always push the pace and obviously would Always pay the price going championship rounds if his oponente keep himself in the match.

Of course a wrestler wants this to happen.
Only has to taken down and lay on another for 3 rounds.

We all know he is salty about losing to Silva in the 5th, but he does make some good points. Why is it in almost every other major sport, the time/duration of game/match is always the same regardless if a championship is on the line?

I would argue that 5 round fights forces a fighter to conserve energy, which leads to lower paced fights. It also leads to more unnecessary damage to the fighters as they are fighting almost twice as long.

Did boxing get less exciting when it went from 15 to 12 rounds?

"Get em in, and get em out. 15 minutes for 1 fight is already asking the audience quite a bit."

Stoppee at the first paragraph, because every fight isn't the same amount of rounds, so Chael is full of Sonnen. "Championship Rounds"
They've been a thing for a long time.

Here is how you improve fights and Make MMA Great Again

2x 5min rounds with 1x 5min sudden death round for draws
More 10-8 rounds based on damage / trying to end the fight
Smaller cage size (similar to WEC sized cage)
Yellow Cards for stalling/timidity/rule violations First yellow card = ineligible for any bonus cash, second = lose a point
Add Knees to the head on the ground and soccer kicks (stomps can stay illegal)
No WMMA on PPV or main UFC cards
Run an open weight tournament each year with a large money prize so that there is more than just a belt to promote around
Get rid of the old ringgirls and rotate in young hotties
Replace the boring commentary teams and get in someone who can generate excitement again like Goldberg or Mauro
Increase fight bonus for finishing fights

You guys are joking with the single 10-15 minute round yeah? Wtf.

The problem isn't necessarily the number of rounds but how each round is scored by the judges. I've seen too many fights where one guy will do just enough to secure 2 out 3 rounds and call it a day. Then we all feel ripped off.

id like to see teams banned from cage side. Its not fair if you just happen to land a take down right next to your lead coach who then explains to you exactly what to do. Meanwhile the opponents team is on the other side and cant hear shit. All things should be equal with no oral assistance.

I take more issue with championship fights requiring you to be a full pound lighter than every fight you had that earned you the title shot. Get rid of the 1 pound allowance its stupid.

Also I started this thread about Main Events a couple a months ago and got flamed. JDS vs Ivanov had no reason to be a 5 round fight just because it was considered to be the top fight of a crappy card.

I disagree with Chael, for a few reasons:

I don't want to reward fighters with shitty cardio, for one. To me, this is a sport, they should be conditioned like real athletes, not fat bar brawlers.

Also, when fights go to decisions, I feel like in a three round fight one close round has way too much effect in the scoring compared to a five round fight. Granted, we still see a lot of shitty decisions in five rounders too. Also, if they judged the fight as a whole, instead of the 10-point must round-by-round, this point would be moot.

I also like to distinguish championship fights from the rest. But I don't think a fight should be 5 rounds just because it's a main event. Just mostly when the belt is on the line. But I guess it always depends on a lot of things. Some fights I would prefer were five rounders, even if they're not main events or for the belt. Like the T-Ferg vs Pettis fight at 229.

But I do agree that a lot of the time 5 rounders are more boring than 3 rounders, but I don't think the only reason is the fact that the fighters are conserving energy, but also the fact that in 5 rounders there is usually a lot more at stake, so the fighters are more careful.

Another terribly stupid statement from a guy who has made more than he can count.

5 round fights force fighters to get into better condition(if they have any aspirations of championship reigns), which logically should follow that the sport as a whole will result in better conditioned athletes on average.

We all know he is salty about losing to Silva in the 5th, but he does make some good points. Why is it in almost every other major sport, the time/duration of game/match is always the same regardless if a championship is on the line?

I would argue that 5 round fights forces a fighter to conserve energy, which leads to lower paced fights. It also leads to more unnecessary damage to the fighters as they are fighting almost twice as long.

Did boxing get less exciting when it went from 15 to 12 rounds?

"Get em in, and get em out. 15 minutes for 1 fight is already asking the audience quite a bit."

A 25 minute fight vs a 36 minute boxing match? All to often at the top levels of this sport when a fight is 3 rd you are left saying IF there was just one more rd fighter A would have won.

Back