Chael Sonnen Calls To End Five Round Fights

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score

We all know he is salty about losing to Silva in the 5th, but he does make some good points. Why is it in almost every other major sport, the time/duration of game/match is always the same regardless if a championship is on the line?

I would argue that 5 round fights forces a fighter to conserve energy, which leads to lower paced fights. It also leads to more unnecessary damage to the fighters as they are fighting almost twice as long.

Did boxing get less exciting when it went from 15 to 12 rounds?

"Get em in, and get em out. 15 minutes for 1 fight is already asking the audience quite a bit."

Chael injecting personal bias into his opinion is nothing new.

No weight classes, rounds or rankings.

Canelo and GGG went to war for 36 minutes.

Lol chael just said "I don't want to run 8 miles instead of 5".

3 round fights reward guys who are explosive like yoel romero, tyron woodley.
5 round fights reward guys like Cain Velazques, Tony Ferguson, Diaz bros.

Just change everything to pride rules and we will be set.

Canelo and GGG went to war for 36 minutes.
Imagine compacting that into 5-10 rounds. Im not arguing boxing. They also only fight for 3 minutes at a time with no grappling. Its a different sport.

it isn't true that in other sports it's always the same duration.
Soccer matches in knockout stages often incorporate extra times when a draw occurs. Usually +30 minutes and if the match hasn't been decided you add penalties, which increment the time even further

Spoken like a true American coward who quits when he gassses.

Theres plenty of exciting five round wars between elite fighters. So theres that.

I think it's good to force a 3 round lay n pray fighter to conserve energy and not think he can just hit takedowns for 3 rounds and win. Matt Brown vs Hendricks in a 3 rounder comes to mind. That would have been a different fight if it were 5 rounds.

I'm okay with 5 round championship and contender fights.

I agree with the point that it should be uniform. Super Bowl isn’t longer. They don’t play more innings in the World Series or more periods in the NBA or Stanley Cup finals.

I wish Chael and the people who listen to him would go away.

I agree with Chael.

5 round fights should be banned.

I mean, what if a fighter who is winning gets subbed in the 5th round?

Back