Catching Lightning (Lee Murray Documentary)

Yeah as far as I know that was the only place he trained. I remember him carrying kettle bells up and down the room during a class at one point and shouting. Dude was psycho.

That’s pretty cool lol. He must have been there but I guess just wasn’t in class the times I was there. But the coaching was good and there were legit fighters there which was a lot better than most gyms at the time.

I remember some Sherdog article referring to London Shootfighters as the “hard bastard factory” which I always thought was pretty funny.

Last edited:
haven't seen the documentary, but if they're trying to make him look like some kind of good dude, that's pretty hilarious. guy was a POS.

haven't seen the documentary, but if they're trying to make him look like some kind of good dude, that's pretty hilarious. guy was a POS.

I think they paint a pretty accurate picture of him. They don't make him look like good dude.

Lee Murray just wishes he would've never ran to Morocco and get convicted in Morocco court. Dude probably would be out of a UK prison already.
Never looked at it that way. Very good chance he’d have been out by now.

Here we go again with the myth of Lee murry

I didn’t realise there was a documentary been wanting a film about him for years, can’t wait to watch this

It didn't disappoint. They have to make a movie about that maniac some day.

Never looked at it that way. Very good chance he’d have been out by now.
He definitely would've gotten a longer sentence than his buddy Paul Allen and the other accomplices who the police managed to catch. They were intent on making Lee out to be the mastermind and leader of the whole thing.

I think Paul Allen got 7 years, iirc, but either way Lee certainly would've been out by now. Insane. The Moroccon system is so fucked.

He definitely would've gotten a longer sentence than his buddy Paul Allen and the other accomplices who the police managed to catch. They were intent on making Lee out to be the mastermind and leader of the whole thing.

I think Paul Allen got 7 years, iirc, but either way Lee certainly would've been out by now. Insane. The Moroccon system is so fucked.
From the documentary, it appeared that the UK exerted "exceptional influence" upon Morocco because the caper could be viewed as an attack upon the British banking system. This seems plausible as all the main crimes were committed in the UK, so why should Morocco even care?

Probably the best MMA related documentary so far.

You can't tell me Lee Murray wouldn't have been a superstar if the UFC didn't cancel his contract. Might have been a big bag fumble as they could have kept him for UK cards only.

He might have been Connor x 2-3. He was a natural fighter with that rare type of energy which makes you a boss amongst gangsters.

Connor was good, but the drawback compared to Lee was that he was an over-compensating skinny manlet who wasn't naturally dangerous enough to average+ sized men. Whereas Lee was a natural born killer. Ask Tito.

He had enough years to make a splash before USADA as well. Biggest what if in MMA history.
Yeah, he was deadly in his power and a straight up warrior, on the brink of insanity that made him more dangerous. A few MMA fighters said Tito tried starting shit with him on the street, and its just the wrong guy to do that with, and Murray KO Tito in the street is what they said they saw. I only imagine if he was focused on fighting..him and AS would have had the best wars in some back and forth fights in the UFC...He had much room to get better too, well, too bad for him right.,..he is a criminal so I don't care to be honest, he is somewhat of a piece of crap imo...had the mentality to beat his wife...or kids...I assume this is what he would do because his kind does these things.

Absolute bad man. It’s a shame he tried to escape from prison because he would have already been out a few years ago

Lee had nothing for Silva that night. One of the most overrated fighters ever due to his bullshit outside of the cage.
His striking looked good and the word was that if Silva wasn’t told to walk you down Chute Box style and you weren’t taking him down (which Lee wasn’t), then he was Anderson Silva even back then.

Very tough match and it’s been a while since I seen the documentary but see if Lee wasn’t dealing with either injuries or partying like a gangster playboy, or both by that time.

From the documentary, it appeared that the UK exerted "exceptional influence" upon Morocco because the caper could be viewed as an attack upon the British banking system. This seems plausible as all the main crimes were committed in the UK, so why should Morocco even care?
Yeah, in the documentary the Moroccon prosecutor or lawyer or whoever they interviewed was all like, "well yes, we have a very good relationship with the UK" and made it out like that was why they bent over backwards to let the UK operate on their soil and extradited Paul Allen even though they don't have an extradition treaty.

I suspect, "good relationship" is code for Morocco being in debt to the UK.

Back