Cardio and Lifting Same Day?

I read an article on this the other day which I could not really grasp (take a look at it yourself and you'll know what I mean) but the authors concluded that:

"acute responses to diverse bouts of contractile activity are modified by the exercise order. Moreover, undertaking divergent exercise in close proximity influences the acute molecular profile and likely exacerbates acute "interference.""

In other words the body does not know how to properly adapt to an anabolic stimulus and oxidative stimulus that happen concurrently and for full anabolic or aerobic adaptations, exercises should be done with adequate rest in between. Of course there were limitations to the study but I thought it was worth noting.

This was covered here too:
Research Review: Molecular Responses to Strength & Endurance Training – Are They Incompatible?

This portion of the article seems like a relevent limitation to this study.

Though the phrase “strength” is mentioned multiple times throughout the review, Hawley’s concern is with hypertrophy alone – and it is unclear whether he consistently means sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy.

As most agree, there is an enormous neural component that is essential to becoming stronger that may not be diminished by the concurrent training effect. In fact, if you were training an athlete whose priority was strength gain without weight gain, performing aerobic work post-workout might even prove beneficial in blunting the anabolic hormonal response

If your goal is total fat loss, do cardio after lifts.
If your goal is total endurance & cardiovascular health, do cardio on days you do not lift.

Do not do cardio before you lift.

Simple enough?

If your goal is total fat loss, do cardio after lifts.
If your goal is total endurance & cardiovascular health, do cardio on days you do not lift.

Do not do cardio before you lift.

Simple enough?

Perfect, thank you.

Another victim of bro science. Are you sure you're related to Tosa?

So what are you saying?

You think that conditioning improves cardiovascular health even if you have lifted weights beforehand?

That is crazy talk scoop.

Sherdoggers, Y U No agree on anything?

Sherdoggers, Y U No agree on anything?

It's not really a disagreement. It's just that some of us are right, and others are wrong. And when you deem the wrong to be "perfect," some get a bit riled up, purely out of good samaritan-ship and the desire to help you.

It's not really a disagreement. It's just that some of us are right, and others are wrong. And when you deem the wrong to be "perfect," some get a bit riled up, purely out of good samaritan-ship and the desire to help you.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

So what are you saying?

You think that conditioning improves cardiovascular health even if you have lifted weights beforehand?

That is crazy talk scoop.

Generally speaking, you'll be able to do more cardio, thus attain a greater effect from said cardio, if you're doing cardio on cardio specific days.

In particular, the reason people so frequently discourage cardio on days that you are lifting, is because lifting depletes your glycogen, right? Have I lost you in the bro-science yet? No. Ok, let's keep going. Cardio after lifting is ideal for fat burning as the depleted glycogen stores lend to fat burning. Right, that's how the body works, no? Ok. So, while you'll probably be able to do less cardio on a lifting day, you can still do low impact low intensity cardio and get a good deal of work from it. If your goal, on the other hand, is to increase your cardiovascular health and endurance, doing cardio at higher intensity for longer periods of time would suit that goal better. No?

So what's so fucking bro-science about that? Up until what, last year, or so, Clomid to get your boys working again after a cycle was bro-science. Now the studies that have been completed on how much Clomid can boost your T are done and shows that, hey, look at that, Dan D. knew what the hell he was doing all along.

Now, I apologize for the harsh tone but the tendency of people in S&C and D&S to just label something they don't like or haven't read yet as "broscience" is getting to me a bit.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Yes, you can do cardio right after you lift.

But what might be more beneficial is lifting and doing your cardio in a periodize, planned, progressive manner.

So, this begs the questions:

What kind of "lifting" do you do? (ie. exercises, set/rep schemes)

What kind of cardio do you do?

How is periodized and programmed?

Generally speaking, you'll be able to do more cardio, thus attain a greater effect from said cardio, if you're doing cardio on cardio specific days.

In particular, the reason people so frequently discourage cardio on days that you are lifting, is because lifting depletes your glycogen, right? Have I lost you in the bro-science yet? No. Ok, let's keep going. Cardio after lifting is ideal for fat burning as the depleted glycogen stores lend to fat burning. Right, that's how the body works, no? Ok. So, while you'll probably be able to do less cardio on a lifting day, you can still do low impact low intensity cardio and get a good deal of work from it. If your goal, on the other hand, is to increase your cardiovascular health and endurance, doing cardio at higher intensity for longer periods of time would suit that goal better. No?

So what's so fucking bro-science about that? Up until what, last year, or so, Clomid to get your boys working again after a cycle was bro-science. Now the studies that have been completed on how much Clomid can boost your T are done and shows that, hey, look at that, Dan D. knew what the hell he was doing all along.

Now, I apologize for the harsh tone but the tendency of people in S&C and D&S to just label something they don't like or haven't read yet as "broscience" is getting to me a bit.

oQNUJ.gif

Back