Cardio and Lifting Same Day? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by toaa, Mar 25, 2012.

1. JauntyAngle International man of mystery

JauntyAngle
    Even that is not 100% true. If your flexibility and mobility is so poor that you cannot go to parallel without losing lumbar tightness or severe tail-tucking, you should not go to parallel. However, if your ROM was really that poor, you should be working as hard as possible to fix it, and you would hope that it would become good enough to safely squat to parallel quite quickly.

2. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Fixed :icon_chee

3. scoopj ackson

scoopj
    How about faux science then? Because that's what it is.

4. Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

Eric Brown
    I discourage cardio right after lifting because I want the best effect from both. Nothing like going into something in a fatigued state. That is why on the days where I both lift and do cardio, there is a significant break in training in-between the two.

But yeah, his generalizations were as bad as his attitude.

5. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    Question: If I'm going for a jog to increase my aerobic capacity by keeping my heart rate in the 140-150 BPM range, does it matter what my speed is? I could obviously jog faster if I did it before lifting or on a different day but if a certain heart rate is the goal then does speed even matter?

6. Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

Eric Brown
    Is your goal speed or target heart rate?

7. hardheart Brown Belt

hardheart
    If you don't understand how glycogen & fat loss work then maybe you should read a nutrition 101 book?

8. belph Pissing into the wind.

belph
    You could be a bit more respectful. Just saying.

And scoop, Do we really need gatekeepers ?

9. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    If possible, separate your cardio sessions by ~8+ hours from your strength sessions (or just do them on your off days). If you want to do high-intensity anaerobic conditioning work all the while doing strength training, you might want to think about some wider periodization scheme.

If your main goal is weight loss with muscle maintenance, and if it's not easy for you to separate your strength and cardio sessions, then just do cardio immediately after lifting. It may not be optimal, but it isn't likely to significantly impair your goals either and is definitely better than skipping various training sessions throughout the week.

This is covered in the FAQ, btw.

10. hardheart Brown Belt

hardheart
    Care to explain to me where my generalizations or ideas are wrong?

1. Lifting depletes glycogen
    2. Your body burns fat more effectively when glycogen is low or depleted
    3. Sustained cardio/aerobic exercise will increase cardiovascular endurance

Please do explain to me where I'm wrong. How is it wrong to state that if you want to burn fat, doing cardio would be better after lifting? Your glycogen is depleted so your body will burn other resources for energy, correct?

Also source: T NATION | Shredded at Last

11. scoopj ackson

scoopj
    Touche.

Sleeping depletes glycogen. Not eating depletes glycogen.

12. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    I'm looking to improve my aerobic base so my understanding is that heart rate is the important factor. I'm not training to become better at running (my sports are Muay Thai and hockey) it's just a way to improve my general conditioning. From reading the FAQ and some other stuff it seems to me like heart rate is the important factor so even if I'm running something slow like a 10 minute mile it doesn't matter as long as my heart rate is in the right zone. But then I read stuff where people say you should do conditioning on a different day and I wonder if I'm correct.

13. Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

Eric Brown
    Then target heart rate. I am not a fan of conditioning immediately after or before another workout, but same day is fine. Tomorrow I will snatch, clean and squat in the morning, get a couple of meals in, then do cardio. Both together just makes my cardio workout more difficult, as there is no way I would do it first and fuck up my lifting.

14. scoopj ackson

scoopj
    I agree that it is the heart rate and duration that determines aerobic benefit, and not speed. You will of course adapt and be able to increase your intensity over time (i.e. increase speed) while keeping your heart rate in the aerobic zone.

15. Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

Eric Brown
    Wow, an online article as a source.

<sigh>

No shit lifting depletes glycogen. However, this is only one of many factors governing both performance and fat loss. Cardio is also governed by your ability to perform, and intensity of effort has a direct effect on long-term loss of adipose tissue. It is not just about short-term glycogen depletion or the use of adipose reserves. When you are depleted, you perform at lower levels of intensity, which decreases overall efficiency.

These things do not occur in a void. This is similar to why fasted cardio is not better for fat loss than cardio performed in a fed state.

16. TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

TeddyRoosevelt
    If your sole goal in running is to promote positive adaptations in cardiac output and aerobic capabilities, then what is important is absolutely the HR and the duration.

I generally do my LSD work about 30-45 minuntes after two hours of MMA classes. It's certaintly not the optimal time to improve my running, but is absolutely sufficient for cardiac output work.

17. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    Thanks for the confirmation guys. I think I'm going to try adding some LSD work in the evening on days that I lift on my lunch hour or maybe on the weekend.

18. Bedlam Blue Belt

Bedlam
    When I started LSD work based on HR it went real slow. I had pretty much the exact concerns you had. The runs slowly got more intense but I still hate my HR monitor for all of the "too fast!", "too slow!", "are we there yet?" alarms. Ok, maybe not that last one.