Cardio and Lifting Same Day?

toaa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to lose most of the excess fat tissue that I've been carrying for the past decade. I've lost about 35 pounds and it's coming off pretty fast, but I've started lifting now in order to keep lean tissue and be toned once I hit my goal weight. Is it okay to do cardio right after I lift?

You should've asked your big brother.

Tosa... Heh.

Hey guys, I'm trying to lose most of the excess fat tissue that I've been carrying for the past decade. I've lost about 35 pounds and it's coming off pretty fast, but I've started lifting now in order to keep lean tissue and be toned once I hit my goal weight. Is it okay to do cardio right after I lift?
Why not? Off days ... after you lift just get it done.

Pretty sure there is no problem with doing cardio whenever.

ive found doing hill sprints immediately after my lifting session has yielded the most substantial and quickest losses in fat.

I usually do 10 hill sprints that are around 50m, for the first 5 I do just as sprints, then the last 5 I do 10 burpees, 10 explosive pushups, 10 jump squats, 10 jump lunges, and 20 mountain climbers. (I worked up to 4x25 of ea and 40 mountain climber)

I find doing this after lifting stretches me out, and adds an explosiveness to the lifts I did prior to sprinting. Later on in the day I do 3 hours of JJ and don't even feel like I've worked out, and I attribute this to ending my workout with a hillsprint circuit.

I find doing fasted LSD or HIIT hill sprints on my off days do not provide equal fat loss as this does.

hill sprints immediately after my lifting session

I like these right after lifting too. If you do not have a hill then use the incline on the treadmill.

Complexes after you lift are good too.

I read an article on this the other day which I could not really grasp (take a look at it yourself and you'll know what I mean) but the authors concluded that:

"acute responses to diverse bouts of contractile activity are modified by the exercise order. Moreover, undertaking divergent exercise in close proximity influences the acute molecular profile and likely exacerbates acute "interference.""

In other words the body does not know how to properly adapt to an anabolic stimulus and oxidative stimulus that happen concurrently and for full anabolic or aerobic adaptations, exercises should be done with adequate rest in between. Of course there were limitations to the study but I thought it was worth noting.

I came in thinking it was a thread by Tosa also.

I thought what in the hell kind of question could Tosa have about cardio after lifting.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I was mistaken in another thread as this "Tosa", I am now intrigued as to who this individual is.

Tis madness I say!

I personally wouldn't do it on the same day when attempting a PR or something. Besides deloading week I'm always trying to best my previous reps PR for the major lifts.

I don't think there would be an issue with doing some cardio right after lifting. You won't perform your cardio at what you would be able to do pre-lifting most likely. If your goal is lowering your body fat most of your hard work will be in the diet.

I read an article on this the other day which I could not really grasp (take a look at it yourself and you'll know what I mean) but the authors concluded that:

"acute responses to diverse bouts of contractile activity are modified by the exercise order. Moreover, undertaking divergent exercise in close proximity influences the acute molecular profile and likely exacerbates acute "interference.""

In other words the body does not know how to properly adapt to an anabolic stimulus and oxidative stimulus that happen concurrently and for full anabolic or aerobic adaptations, exercises should be done with adequate rest in between. Of course there were limitations to the study but I thought it was worth noting.

I was a jumper in University and we had a saying that sprinters and jumpers got paid (if you were professional, of course) to rest... Sounds like this article, without having read it, addresses this issue.

What is the suggested or measured break time between different contractile activities? Would simply walking from the weight room to the hill be considered too much time in between bouts of activity, but not enough time to rest completely and thus cause this exacerbation??

Personally I always thought Hill Sprints right after lifting had great benefits, but then again I am not a professional fitness expert by any means...

Depends on intensity and duration of both activities.

Personally, I lift in the morning and do cardio in the evening. Example: today (shortly) is ME squat/deadlift, then I will get a couple of meals in, then push the prowler before dinner.

Depends on intensity and duration of both activities.

Personally, I lift in the morning and do cardio in the evening. Example: today (shortly) is ME squat/deadlift, then I will get a couple of meals in, then push the prowler before dinner.

How are you liking the prowler ?

I am middle-aged and out of condition.

Fuck you. Does that answer your question?

:)

Sounds incredibly effective. I'll have to buy one in the next 5 years.

I was a jumper in University and we had a saying that sprinters and jumpers got paid (if you were professional, of course) to rest... Sounds like this article, without having read it, addresses this issue.

What is the suggested or measured break time between different contractile activities? Would simply walking from the weight room to the hill be considered too much time in between bouts of activity, but not enough time to rest completely and thus cause this exacerbation??

Personally I always thought Hill Sprints right after lifting had great benefits, but then again I am not a professional fitness expert by any means...

The authors didn't give an adequate rest period in the study unfortunately but most people do go by the morning/night method mentioned earlier. In the study anabolic and oxidative effects were still occurring 3 hours after exercise according to the info from the biopsy so if I had to guess more than 3 hours.

The authors didn't give an adequate rest period in the study unfortunately but most people do go by the morning/night method mentioned earlier. In the study anabolic and oxidative effects were still occurring 3 hours after exercise according to the info from the biopsy so if I had to guess more than 3 hours.

When I was doing speed workouts, I would do them on the same day as lifting. I just don't have the time anymore so I split this during the week and do not do max velocity sprints any more; more of a "tempo" series... Hill sprints are a luxury item if I can get them in during the week, I am happy! As long as I have ample rest between workouts, I am not too too worried about what order I do things in... Not perfect but when you get to my age and life style you can appreciate my not caring too much.

You can do conditioning on days you lift, just don't do anything of high intensity.

If you're doing 5/3/1 and have the book, there's a template for conditioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back