Canelo's power is average at 154 he will have paulie malignaggi type power at 160, stay at 154

Fight against Junior will tell us a lot... JCC is definitely not an easy boxer to crack.

Pillow-Fighting-Girls-10.jpg

I actually have never thought he was a huge puncher. He occasionally scores a big KO like against Kirkland but I don't think his strength is power.

Yeah I'm not sold on it either. He couldn't hurt a blown up WW in Cotto, who has been hurt before by actual WWs.

It's why I think GGG handles him. He doesn't have the legs to outbox him for 12 rounds or the power to dissuade him. And who knows about the chin, he's never been tested by a big puncher.

He'd have Paulie type power at heavyweight

I seem to remember Liam not making the final bell.

If you are referencing this , Smith addressed it says it wasn't so much power but accuracy and timing

Agreed that Liam should have taken a different approach to the Canelo fight, as NaughtyBoy said, the Jr fight is going tell us a lot, besides the Matt Vanda fight, JCC Jr has never been in serious trouble below 175 but I think Canelos durability and conditioning is going to be the x-factor against bigger guys

Yeah i feel it. Didnt he drop him multiple times though? He must have some power

Once IIRC, that liver shot that put him down and out. Canelo definitely has power but Smith is a JMW. We'll have to see what Saul's power looks like closer to his natural weight, and to 160, when he fights JCC Jr.

Once IIRC, that liver shot that put him down and out. Canelo definitely has power but Smith is a JMW. We'll have to see what Saul's power looks like closer to his natural weight, and to 160, when he fights JCC Jr.
I actually think JCC Jr is gonna give Canelo a tough fight for the first 6 rounds. You see the pics of Chavez the other day? Looks in shape. Canelo combinations probably take over after 6

How can he say that when he got knocked down by a body shot?

I think Canelo will be stronger at 160. It's less to take off as he walks around north of 170. That extra 6 pounds could prove useful.

I actually think JCC Jr is gonna give Canelo a tough fight for the first 6 rounds. You see the pics of Chavez the other day? Looks in shape. Canelo combinations probably take over after 6

I haven't really thought about it. I just looked at some photos though and he does appear to be taking his training seriously and looks to be in good physical shape, Jr. that is. I wouldn't be shocked if Jr. could make a fight out of it and give him a tougher time than Canelo anticipates. How much tougher is the only question, we'll see.

With a beautiful liver shot. Marc is saying that Liam said it was more about the timing and accuracy than Canelo's power.
I agree.

I think his power is mediocre but I think he's pretty good at landing shots guys don't see and good at setting up guys for big shots.

I think when he hurts guys, its because he's making a conscious effort to land a KO punch, its not the same sort of power from guys who just hurt people when they touch them.

How can he say that when he got knocked down by a body shot?

I think Canelo will be stronger at 160. It's less to take off as he walks around north of 170. That extra 6 pounds could prove useful.

Not just knocked down but KO'ed. Smith apparently said that Canelo definitely has power but it was more due to the timing and precision of the shot than its raw power. That could be true because it doesn't take a real hard shot to the liver to drop or KO another fighter. One example where we saw serious power and precision is when Golovkin folded Macklin. Macklin is much bigger than Smith is and he went fetal in excruciating pain. Golovkin placed it perfectly and timed it well on top of it being a very powerful shot (what's known as a Russian long hook). He broke two of Macklin's ribs, in fact.

Alvarez is an accurate, smart puncher with good - not great - power. I think the belief that he has great power comes from the placement of his shots: how he sets them up, how he hides them ones that have power on them amongst ones that don't. Remember the old cliche: it's the punch you don't see coming that hurts the most.

The Chavez Jr. fight is interesting because he is such a big guy, and if properly trained, he can be a nuisance for a lot of people. He is there to be hit, but when he does show up - as opposed to most of his performances which have been rather curious ones these past fives years - he hides well behind his gloves and arms and keeps them pressure on you, mixing up his shots and not giving you much time to think. Canelo meanwhile, doesn't have amazing footwork (I know, people may not like the sound of that, but it's true), so he will have Junior in his face until Junior is stopped, or the final bell goes. At the same time, Canelo likes it when his opponents come to him. This is, of course, best case scenario for Chavez who has the capacity to be the proverbial turd in the punch bowl (something I think he probably doesn't mind being A LOT lol).

This, I believe is a reconaissance fight in the sense that it will give Alvarez a taste of a big pressure guy that can take a punch. If he can get past Chavez with few problems, he'll feel better about the GGG fight.

I agree.

I think his power is mediocre but I think he's pretty good at landing shots guys don't see and good at setting up guys for big shots.

I think when he hurts guys, its because he's making a conscious effort to land a KO punch, its not the same sort of power from guys who just hurt people when they touch them.

So do I. I think Smith is just telling it like it is. He set it up nicely but that was a textbook setup, like Roy said in the commentary. Tap the head with the left hook just enough to get them to lift their arm out of position so that their elbow isn't there to help protect the right side and then immediately dig to the liver with a hard, precise shot. I would agree with Canelo consciously trying to go for the KO where he looks like he's forcing it. A perfect example of a guy trying to force a KO with every shot and from the opening bell is Oscar Valdez in his last fight against Hiroshige Osawa. He was trying way too hard to be a puncher when naturally he isn't a big hitter.

The legendary Ward-Sanchez liver shot KO after 6 rounds of getting his ass kicked. Textbook setup and the same one that Canelo used against Smith.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back